Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Failed grease seals/over packed bearings

Well, I guess I will continue to beat "a dead horse".
    Today I took the time o pull the drums and inspect for damage.

Started with the two left side tires. I only found minimal leakage and thought ... Not too bad.
    Cleaned everything, repacked the bearings with good sticky moly grease and changed the brake assemblies to Lippert forward self-adjusting brakes.

Moved to the two right wheels. What a different story.
    Grease had totally blown out all over the brake assemblies. The magnets were riding on a greased path. Grease all over the brake shoes as well. Good thing I decided to do this.
    Cleaned everything, repacked the bearings with good sticky moly grease and changed the brake assemblies to Lippert forward self-adjusting brakes.

Mileage on my new 2015 Reflection 337RLS = 2969 miles .... What a shame.
    Totally over greased with runny poor quality grease. Shame on Lippert.

I will follow up with some pictures after I get off of this iPad.
    I feel like bringing the right sides back to Lippert at the Owners Rally.
    Mike & Pat Clawson
    Marty & Bucky (Welsh Corgis)
    2015 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS #2813
    Titan Disc Brakes, Liberty Rider Suspension
    2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
    Comfort Ride Hitch, 52 Gallon Titan XXL Fuel Tank, Banks Speed Brake, Firestone Air Lift Bags
    http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/...pst4uyouma.gif

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike: How long did it take you to replace the first two (relatively clean) brake units? Did you get new axle seals at an outside source, or use those that came with your new brake units?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems to take more time to jack up the trailer than to do the work.
    Keep in mind I am older and slower these days...

Probably took me 2 hours to do the first set. No seals came with the new brakes. Just new nuts and wire connectors.
    Got new seals from eTrailer.com ... Exact same dimensions as the Lippert specs. (Got Dexter printed on them)
    Mike & Pat Clawson
    Marty & Bucky (Welsh Corgis)
    2015 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS #2813
    Titan Disc Brakes, Liberty Rider Suspension
    2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
    Comfort Ride Hitch, 52 Gallon Titan XXL Fuel Tank, Banks Speed Brake, Firestone Air Lift Bags
    http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/...pst4uyouma.gif

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    took my 313 TT to dealer to inspect seals, and install forward self adjusting brakes. Three of the wheels were fine, but one had taken a grease bath. Brake shoes, brakes and all inside covered in grease...pretty thin, runny stuff too. Replaced all the seals. Dealer said he thought delivery driver probably added too much grease...seems I've read that before on here. Big leap to that conclusion I think. At any rate, new seals, and new brakes. Only have about 2500 miles on the trailer. (No, I took to dealer instead of trying to change that stuff myself....THAT would have been a major disaster from which there would likely be no recovery! I know my limits!)
    Don and Anita
    Oklahoma
    2015 RAM 2500 Cummins Diesel Laramie Edition
    2017 Reflection 337
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch/B&W Companion...depending on weight

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the grease is thin and runny, it's coming out of Lippert--maker of the axles. Everyone needs to have their brake drums removed and inspected for grease intrusion. What's less than amusing is that the cost difference between a poor quality Chinese grease seal and a quality grease seal is just a couple of bucks.

One of my 4 seals appears to be bad. When I change the seals, all four brakes will be replaced with self adjusting brake components.

And since grease in the brakes means there is no stopping, the U.S. government really should issue a recall on all Lippert axles and have the seals replaced.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are we confident it's the seal failing, rather than really cheap grease that turns to liquid the no seal can keep in? Just thinking aloud.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm confident it is the grease Curtis but I can't get any traction with that idea cuz nobody seems to want to hear it.

And I am even more sure now that mine are leaking again after a seal replacement but didn't repack w/ new grease cuz I didn't have time after cleaning everything up before next trip and too hot to do it now.

So... new seals (Dexter that pretty much all RV places use) and same grease... Leaking again.

Others have replaced seals AND repacked... no more leaking.... hmmm... I think grease.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with Jim (JCR GD) that it's the grease. When I found gease leaks on our 337, it had the viscosity of about a 90 weight gear oil. I was quite surprised that the seals on mine were Dexter which were on a Lippert manufactured axle? Here's a picture of the original seal after I wiped the grease off of it. I have done quite a few searches on the NTSA website for grease leaking into the brake chamber. I've yet to see one on a Dexter manufactured axle, but quite a few on Lippert manufactured axles. If both Lippert and Dexter use Dexter seals, and the grease is only leaking on Lippert axles, then the evidence is pointing towards the grease, and not the seals.

~[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/PHB4ZTel.jpg[/IMG

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3459.jpg  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Axel bearing grease is usually a heavier viscosity than grease used in a hand grease gun. I never used a grease gun to greasy wheel bearings, but, I'm sure some drivers do,
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it safe to assume if no grease is being thrown on inside of wheels, the failure has not occurred yet? Just wondering because at this point my brakes are working fine and I see no indication on wheels.
    Steve & Bunny
    Michigan
    2015 Grand Design Reflection 27RL
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD 6.0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast