User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Progressive Industries Surge Protector Install Question

Earlier this week we picked up our brand new 2023 Imagine 2670MK and I'm about embark on its first modification, installing the 50 amp Progressive Industries surge protector. In this model trailer the fuse panel is located in the bedroom just below the built-in dresser and the main 50 amp plug is about 2 ft away in the side wall of the trailer. I removed the drawers to get a better look behind there and found that there is definitely sufficient space to mount the surge protector, but its not going to be easy dealing with the 6 Gauge Romex wire in such a tight space. So I am thinking about replacing all of the 6 gauge Romex with something more flexible 6 gauge welding wire. Since the panel and main plug are so close I'd only need a few feet of wire. Has anyone tried this?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think using the 6 gauge welding wire is fine as long as you get good quality wire. Lots of imposter wire out there. Make sure it is good quality copper wire. Make sure you do have room to go in and run the new wire from the distribution panel. You may need to pop the panel out from the other side to give you good working room. Would love to see pictures on how things go. You can certainly save a bit of time by prewiring the surge protector while still outside the installation area. That way it is the connection to the panel on one end and to the incoming input plug on the other end. You should be able to pull the plug from the outside of the rig giving you the room to wire the new wire right to the plug, that way the only connections you need to make are on the distribution panel and the plug.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy whatever length/amount that you need of the SO cord that is 6ga/3 conductor with a ground. It is very easy to work with compared to the 6/3 Romex stuff.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    Earlier this week we picked up our brand new 2023 Imagine 2670MK and I'm about embark on its first modification, installing the 50 amp Progressive Industries surge protector. In this model trailer the fuse panel is located in the bedroom just below the built-in dresser and the main 50 amp plug is about 2 ft away in the side wall of the trailer. I removed the drawers to get a better look behind there and found that there is definitely sufficient space to mount the surge protector, but its not going to be easy dealing with the 6 Gauge Romex wire in such a tight space. So I am thinking about replacing all of the 6 gauge Romex with something more flexible 6 gauge welding wire. Since the panel and main plug are so close I'd only need a few feet of wire. Has anyone tried this?
    How did you get the drawers out? I have looked and am mystified... (Which doesn't take much)
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. I'll try that tomorrow.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    How did you get the drawers out? I have looked and am mystified... (Which doesn't take much)
    The drawers have little black plastic tabs inside the slide mechanism. There is one on each side of the draw (I showed the left side of a draw below). Slide draw out, move the tab on the left side up with your finger and at the same time move the tab on the right side down and then gently pull the draw straight back. You may to jiggle it a tad.

I hope this helps.

Bob

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	draw slide.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	44868

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look before you touch, though. Some of those drawer slides have little or no grease. Others got what the first ones should have gotten plus their own. If I can't clearly see what I'm touching I wear disposable gloves. That keeps Jo Ann happier.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought an update was in order now that I completed the install of the hard wired 50A Progressive Industries surge protector.

Well I did go about replacing the 6GA Romex 50 amp wire with wire that was much more flexible and easier to navigate thru the tight space under the dresser and it wasn't worth the effort. I got the wire from a local electrical supply house. Each of the 4 leads was stranded and because of that it each was much thicker. So thick that I had difficulty getting the leads into the connections in the Progressive box and attached into the breaker. So I basically traded one problem for another. If I were to do it again, I'd stick with the Romex.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    I thought an update was in order now that I completed the install of the hard wired 50A Progressive Industries surge protector.

Well I did go about replacing the 6GA Romex 50 amp wire with wire that was much more flexible and easier to navigate thru the tight space under the dresser and it wasn't worth the effort. I got the wire from a local electrical supply house. Each of the 4 leads was stranded and because of that it each was much thicker. So thick that I had difficulty getting the leads into the connections in the Progressive box and attached into the breaker. So I basically traded one problem for another. If I were to do it again, I'd stick with the Romex.
    6 ga wire should be very close in size.....no matter what.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast