User Tag List

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone regrooving their trailer tires?

I am wondering is anyone or has anyone regrooved their Cooper “H-Rated” tires, or their “G-Rated” tires?

I am running the Coopers on my Momentum, and they have about 15-16K miles and some of the pattern is wearing off, but the tires are wearing well. I have roasted them in the hopes to have them last as long as possible. I am wondering who is regrooving, when, is it worth it, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Jason
    2023 Momentum 397TH w/Gen3 Goosebox
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 F-450 Limited PowerStroke

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msutoad View Post
    I am wondering is anyone or has anyone regrooved their Cooper “H-Rated” tires, or their “G-Rated” tires?

I am running the Coopers on my Momentum, and they have about 15-16K miles and some of the pattern is wearing off, but the tires are wearing well. I have roasted them in the hopes to have them last as long as possible. I am wondering who is regrooving, when, is it worth it, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Jason
    I can't answer your question but most trailer tires will age out before regrooving or replacing due to wear would be necessary, including mine.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks in advance.

Jason
    I can not answer your question on regrooving trailer tires, but I am surprised you would need to. I have a little over 17,000 miles on my Westlake G tires (see trailer below) and I have worn off 2/32" (from 11/32" new to 9/32" currently) of tread. I rotate my tires at roughly 5~6,000 miles. They look good with very even wear. I usually run around 11,000# (total) on the axles and run them at 110 PSI cold (sidewall and trailer placard rating). Maybe I am misreading your post, but if you need to regroove them at 15~16k miles, I would take another look for any alignment issues.

I will be replacing my tires this year due to ageing out, not wearing out.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the total tread depth of my tires if completely fine. I have not worn down the tires to the point of re-grooving. I was wondering about some of the grooving going across the treads, perpendicular to the deep grooves. My tires are rotated every 5-6K miles and the edges on the front tires are scrubbed a little, but because I am rotating, they are all equal and not bad at all. I was more curious than anything, not because I need to replace my tires. They are 18 months old, and have a lot more miles left in them. I should have been more explicit about this in my original post, my apologies.
    2023 Momentum 397TH w/Gen3 Goosebox
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 F-450 Limited PowerStroke

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks in advance.

Jason
    Only tires that are manufactured as regroovable are regroovable. Generally, regroovable tires are used on commercial trucks and busses, not on passenger vehicles (or RVs).

The problem with regrooving tires is that deep lines are cut arount the circumference of the tire between the treads. Unfortunately, there are no "sipps or blocks" to channel away water, consequently, regrooved tires are very prone to hydroplaining, NOT a feature you want in your RV tires!!!
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Coopers on my trailer, and have about 14,000 miles on them. Yes, the sips between the treads are almost gone, but not sure that is really bad, most tires the sips are not as deep as the tread, even the minimum markers on the tread. I guess you could take a dremel to it and deepen them, although I would call Cooper and find out first. I figure at least another 20,000 miles with my tires.

@SolarPoweredRV the tires have regroovable printed on the side of them.
    Last edited by Wileykid; 02-12-2023 at 08:30 AM.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gronk1 View Post
    I can't answer your question but most trailer tires will age out before regrooving or replacing due to wear would be necessary, including mine.
    I agree with Gronk1. Most RV tires (from Class A to C and any tow behind) will usually age out well before the tread wears out. Unless of course one travels so much and so many miles that the tread does actually get worn down.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods