User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Welcome to the group. We bought new, we actually buy most of our things new. Although sometimes the used price is attractive. We just don't want someone else problem and no warranty or manufacturer to fall back to. Buying new doesn't mean you won't have issues though, we had a few minor ones but GD looked after them. 1 even after the warranty expired. That's what great with GD, the after sales. Have you looked further out for the same floor plan for a better price? I was ready to drive 7hrs out until my local dealer decided to price match for the model we decided on. Some members have gone even further out. Some members have started getting close to 30% msrp again like it was before the pandemic.
    Gas or diesel, well I'd go diesel. You just get better torque and engine braking. Regardless of which manufacturer you decide on, just be sure to run your own tow numbers and get the right size truck. 1/2, 3/4, 1 ton srw, drw.
    We can help you out with those numbers. Just don't trust any of the sales people.
    My sales guy is different, he told me himself. Lol. I've done sales myself so I know the drill. This forum is gold. The GD community is a big part of why I want one.
    I'd pick up a unit across the country if it saved enough money. But the 2022 25G closeouts are all listing at that $62k price minimum, excepting General RV. Their online price is $55k. When I mentioned it to my sales guy at Lazydays, he literally used the word "illegal" saying GD controls the minimum price. Sure. But then he showed me a price sheet from General RV another CUSTOMER brought in. Fees came to over $7k! That's not a coincidence. General RV knows the other dealers' online price. They're advertising lower sticker price, but fees bring them the same margin. (I hope I'm not breaking any rules by mentioning dealers by name. Everything I'm saying can be verified.)
    I'd really love to know if anyone has negotiated a better price. The toy haulers are disappearing (believe me I've been watching) so I doubt it. The GD after-sales service is a big selling point for me. But I've heard it can be a while to get warranty work done (another person mentioned that in this thread) and I plan to live in my trailer for a while, so that's a factor. You're right, there's always kinks to work out with a new vehicle. A minimum warranty is code for "nobody/nothing is perfect."
    I appreciate your help! I'll think about a diesel. Fuel prices are scary, but a fact of life.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    When it comes to RVs,buying new is almost a sure way to have problems.
    So the percieved reliability of new, is just that..Percieved.

I always recommend used for newbies because how you imagine using a RV is often quite different than how you will end up using it. Spend a season or two in a used RV to find out more about about what is really important to you. Then spring for a new, ordered unit to get one that fits you a lot better. Ths will save you a lot of money... But if money is not a problem, go ahead and buy new. Don't be suprised if your new RV ends up sitting at the dealer waiting to be fixed. and not just for a few days. More like a few months. You appear to want to live in it full time. That will be a problem
    Everything you just said is true, which is why I planned to buy used. The problem is finding a used toy hauler that fits my needs. I've seen a few I could live with, short term, but they're going for prices almost as much as the new 2022. And no warranty. New or used, it will need work. I'm handy in spirit, but my hands are weak. I can do small jobs, but my health prevents heavy lifting etc. I use a lot of life hacks to get around that. My needs make a fixer-upper impractical. I was raised to be independent, so it galls me to pay for things I used to do myself. But it is what it is.
    I don't waste money on things just because they're shiny and new, but I'm looking at the whole picture. Things can get fixed under warranty or on my dime. If I can find a used unit that saves enough dimes, I'll buy it.
    I appreciate your input.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post
    With the 25G you are definitely in Silverado HD 2500 territory as a minimum. And you won’t regret going Diesel.

My favorite feature of having a diesel is being able to fuel up with the semis in the spacious semi lanes at the truck stops.
    Is the advantage of diesel purely about power? Diesel is so much more than gasoline per gallon. I'm not clear about whether diesel actually gets better mileage or if the benefits are more about function.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    You can have problems new or used. I prefer to start from new, but wouldn't be opposed to used. Like previously mentioned, you will have problems new or used. If you're handy, it's not an issue as most of the things are fairly easy to work on. If you're living in it fulltime, you need to learn to be handy or have a good supply of $$$. I would avoid dealerships for repairs if they are outside your skill set as they are usually very backed up and not always the best quality of work. Mobil techs will come to you, GD will even authorize them for warranty work, but won't cover their service fee (the fee to come out regardless of what work is done). There are great resources to help with issues like the people on this forum, you certainly found the right place. Don't be afraid to buy more truck than you need, better than the opposite scenario.

Also, keep in mind you will have a bunch of upfront expenses outfitting the RV with the bare necessities and then of course the modifications you will want to make.

There are numerous threads on what is needed to start, just use the search function and start reading/taking notes.
    "Don't be afraid to buy more truck than you need, better than the opposite scenario."
    In definitely erring on the side of caution. I'm be traveling alone a lot. I need a tow vehicle I can feel safe in.

Regarding the "outfitting" costs, I'm definitely reading up and making copious lists, notes and questions. I'll be on here a lot. Lol.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Violet_XXI View Post
    "Don't be afraid to buy more truck than you need, better than the opposite scenario."
    In definitely erring on the side of caution. I'm be traveling alone a lot. I need a tow vehicle I can feel safe in.

Regarding the "outfitting" costs, I'm definitely reading up and making copious lists, notes and questions. I'll be on here a lot. Lol.
    For what you want to pull, you could go gasser. However, Ford's Godzilla engine is turning out to be a dud with the cam and lifter problems. All 3 diesels have been around a long time, and if buying new the fuel pump issue has been resolved in GMs that you like. On the other hand, RAM are delivering faster (on factory orders) than either GM or Ford and, in my area, there's pretty good lot stock on single rear wheel RAM 3500s, which would be a good pairing.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    For what you want to pull, you could go gasser. However, Ford's Godzilla engine is turning out to be a dud with the cam and lifter problems. All 3 diesels have been around a long time, and if buying new the fuel pump issue has been resolved in GMs that you like. On the other hand, RAM are delivering faster (on factory orders) than either GM or Ford and, in my area, there's pretty good lot stock on single rear wheel RAM 3500s, which would be a good pairing.
    You need to ask yourself where you want to pull the camper....which parts of the country and at what altitudes. If you are staying at sea level--sure a gas engine will do it. If you are attempting to pull 10K lbs at high altitudes like Colorado, Montana, Idaho, Washington.....I would only go diesel. Diesels don't work near as hard as gas engines when they work, they last a whole lot longer, and they get way better fuel economy. I've had both and never again would I buy a gas engine to pull in the West or up large hills and mountains. The diesel is just such a more pleasant pulling experience.

On ordering the trucks....I live here in CO and ordered my new 2022 GMC 3500 AT4 CC LB diesel last year about this time and it took 8.5 weeks from order date to delivery. I would call that exceptionally fast and the truck is amazing. I love mine over all the other brands. Good luck with your decisions.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To say the 7.3 engine is a dud based on a few internet reports, perhaps lacking in rigorous investigation, may be a bit premature.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    To say the 7.3 engine is a dud based on a few internet reports, perhaps lacking in rigorous investigation, may be a bit premature.
    Respectfully Howard, my nephew is a Senior Master Ford Tech at the largest volume truck dealer in the southeast. It's hardly a few but so many that it's months of wait to get a short block and that's the only recourse. I'm not here to bash brands, and that rigorous investigation is under way at the blue oval. To each their own and drive what you like. However, it is a real problem and either it's supplier subpar work and lack of Ford QA on incoming parts, or the Ford engineers mis-specified the treatment. The majority have failed between 25K and 50K miles, but he's had a handful with less than 5,000 miles! Of course powertrain warranty is taking care of it, but who wants to be without a new truck for months and Ford covering only payments or rental? Nonetheless, being in manufacturing I know what should be done, but as long as I've been in it I also know what's been done to accelerate schedule, increase margin, and none for the benefit of the consumer.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Violet_XXI View Post
    My sales guy is different, he told me himself. Lol. I've done sales myself so I know the drill. This forum is gold. The GD community is a big part of why I want one.
    I'd pick up a unit across the country if it saved enough money. But the 2022 25G closeouts are all listing at that $62k price minimum, excepting General RV. Their online price is $55k. When I mentioned it to my sales guy at Lazydays, he literally used the word "illegal" saying GD controls the minimum price. Sure. But then he showed me a price sheet from General RV another CUSTOMER brought in. Fees came to over $7k! That's not a coincidence. General RV knows the other dealers' online price. They're advertising lower sticker price, but fees bring them the same margin. (I hope I'm not breaking any rules by mentioning dealers by name. Everything I'm saying can be verified.)
    I'd really love to know if anyone has negotiated a better price. The toy haulers are disappearing (believe me I've been watching) so I doubt it. The GD after-sales service is a big selling point for me. But I've heard it can be a while to get warranty work done (another person mentioned that in this thread) and I plan to live in my trailer for a while, so that's a factor. You're right, there's always kinks to work out with a new vehicle. A minimum warranty is code for "nobody/nothing is perfect."
    I appreciate your help! I'll think about a diesel. Fuel prices are scary, but a fact of life.
    About General RV...you'll only know if you get quotes from them directly. Add on fees or not, we saved $3,000 driving 6 hours to a General RV vs buying locally, and they had the unit in stock to boot. Yep, they had a $1,200 prep fee - it was bogus but they were still a lot cheaper than we could find at the time anywhere else. That was the 22MLE. The 22LDE we purchased last month 90 miles away and not from General RV. Not because we wouldn't for any reason, just because they had the right price and it was more convenient. Anyway, don't listen to what others say about this or that place, you really have to check things out for yourself.

New or used? Your choice. Neither is "dumber or smarter" than the other. I've purchased all used motorhomes and travel trailers over the years until 2 years ago. Here's what I'll tell you about used...the kinks can certainly be worked out by the previous owners, but these are often superficial things. It's only used that I've ended up refurbishing. In one I pulled stained wallboard to find that the leak from a window rotted the floor under a cabinet that I couldn't see. I've refurbished 3 travel trailers; all with water damage you could not readily see. You cannot know how well or poorly previous owners maintained their sealants. You may not see obvious water leaks now, but you don't know how long it leaked before they tidied things up in order to sell the unit.

New or used, as an owner the most important thing you can do to maintain your investment is maintain your sealants top to bottom. I've never regretted purchasing a new vehicle, a new house, a new boat, or a new RV, but I have certainly had regrets purchasing used items and finding the problems that people didn't willingly share when I did not suspect something and ask about it. That said, money isn't a significant issue for me. I'll generally spend more for better than cheap to get-by given the choice if that makes sense.

Now, on the new stuff. Yes, they have problems too. But on a vehicle and an RV you have a warranty period to work out the kinks. Personally, I prefer to do my own work on RVs and boats so rarely need to use the warranty. Vehicles are a different story, if there's a warranty it's going to the shop. The 22MLE we purchased new had a water leak two weeks after we brought it home. I got up on the roof and sealed everything. I could see the cracks in the sealant along the trim. One might ask, so what's the point of purchasing new then? The answer is, because I caught that leak within 3 days of identifying it. You don't know that someone else would have done the same. And because I properly sealed everything up there, I know that leak or others are not going to be a problem 2 or 10 years down the road.

Okay, off the soapbox now. Only you know what makes sense for you. In either case, focus first on shoring up the sealants everywhere before you worry about decorating the inside. You'll be happier 10 years down the road if you hang on to it. If you don't, the future buyer will thank you whether they know it or not. Good luck with your decision!
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Respectfully Howard, my nephew is a Senior Master Ford Tech at the largest volume truck dealer in the southeast. It's hardly a few but so many that it's months of wait to get a short block and that's the only recourse. I'm not here to bash brands, and that rigorous investigation is under way at the blue oval. To each their own and drive what you like. However, it is a real problem and either it's supplier subpar work and lack of Ford QA on incoming parts, or the Ford engineers mis-specified the treatment. The majority have failed between 25K and 50K miles, but he's had a handful with less than 5,000 miles! Of course powertrain warranty is taking care of it, but who wants to be without a new truck for months and Ford covering only payments or rental? Nonetheless, being in manufacturing I know what should be done, but as long as I've been in it I also know what's been done to accelerate schedule, increase margin, and none for the benefit of the consumer.
    Thanks for the feedback. All I've heard about it has come about in the last week after a youtube video was posted. Nary a word about issues before that. Just seemed like typical youtube hysteria.
    I'm a Ram fanboi, so it doesn't affect me.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast