User Tag List

Thread: Sailing

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sailing

My most significant non-camping hobby is sailing. I race sailboats and sometimes officiate the races for sailboats on Lake Thurmond located on the Georgia / South Carolina boarder on the Savannah river just north of Interstate 20. The sailing club I belong to has three race series each year (fall, winter, and spring) that last about 12 weeks each. Additionally, we have a few additional regattas that are held each year as will. All of the races are accompanied by the appropriate level of sailor fellowship and shenanigans. Some races are designed as cruising style races, long distance races and some as shorter courses that may last an hour or so per race.

The races held at my club include boats of many different designs ranging from 6 ft in length to about 40 foot in length. Dinghy boat designs include Lasers, Optimists, Open Skiffs (BIC), Sunfish, Madge’s MC Scows, C Scows, E Scows, 420’s, Lightenings, and numerous other designs.
    Last edited by MccNeo; 02-12-2023 at 09:02 PM.
    2020 Solitude 373FB-R,
    2017 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 DRW Long Bed,
    TST 570 TPMS, MORryde IS, B&W 25K Companion, Garmin RV785MT

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a lot of fun @MccNeo, in my younger years I did quite a bit of sailboat racing, all in one designs. Lake Thurmon must be a great place to sail judging by the healthy sailing community there.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Sounds like a lot of fun @MccNeo, in my younger years I did quite a bit of sailboat racing, all in one designs. Lake Thurmon must be a great place to sail judging by the healthy sailing community there.
    Lake Thurmond is the second largest man-made lake east of the Mississippi and has approximately 1270 miles of shoreline. It has great fishing.

There are at least two sailing clubs on the lake. One at Modoc SC and the other (Augusta Sailing Club) about half a mile west of the Strom Thurmond dam. The Augusta Sailing Club owns the 13 acres it sits on and has 8 docks (6 with a total of about 180 slips - all occupied) and 4 boat ramps. Two of the boat ramps are the deepest ramps on the lake. In addition to occupied slips, we have about 270 boats stored on trailers. The largest sailboat is a 40 foot sloop. We have approximately 280 members and one employee.

We also hold sailing classes for youth and adults, as well as safe boating classes (including kayaking, canoeing, and power-boating).
    2020 Solitude 373FB-R,
    2017 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 DRW Long Bed,
    TST 570 TPMS, MORryde IS, B&W 25K Companion, Garmin RV785MT