User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new to RVing. I have truck but will it tow 2600RB?

I have a 2018 F150 Supercrew 4x4, 145" wb, 3.5L EcoBoost GTDI V6 3.55 axle ratio with 53C tow package. Per Ford "Max loaded trailer weight" I can tow 10,700lbs with GCWR of 16,100 lbs. I want to purchase a 2022 2600RB c/w Blue Ox weight distribution hitch (per spec 594lb hitch, 5795 UVW & 7850 GVWR) looks like I'm ok. but am I...........?? I was on a site that said the details per Ford are not accurate. I used there method to calculate c/o

"To get the actual trailer weight limit for YOUR truck, take your truck's "Payload Rating" off of the driver door sticker. Subtract the weight of the driver and all passengers who will be in the truck. Subtract the weight of the weight distribution hitch (you DO have a weight distribution hitch, don't you). If you have a topper or a tonneau cover, subtract its weight. Estimate and subtract the weight of all the stuff you will carry in the truck while camping, like chairs, tables, generators, grills, firewood, EVERYTHING. Now, take whatever is left of the payload rating and divide by 13%. Whatever number you get is the maximum-ish trailer weight (loaded, not dry) that you can safely tow.The trailer's tongue weight should be in the 10% to 15% range of its total weight for sway control. You can get a range of maximum trailer weights by dividing by 10% and 15%, but I think 13% gets you in the ball park +/- a couple of hundred pounds."

Using that calcilation above I get from 6200 lbs to 6900 lbs loaded trailer weight............which to me means my truck would not be a good fit. Totally confused. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I have found the trailer I want but can't afford to buy a new truck.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricklauri View Post
    I have a 2018 F150 Supercrew 4x4, 145" wb, 3.5L EcoBoost GTDI V6 3.55 axle ratio with 53C tow package. Per Ford "Max loaded trailer weight" I can tow 10,700lbs with GCWR of 16,100 lbs. I want to purchase a 2022 2600RB c/w Blue Ox weight distribution hitch (per spec 594lb hitch, 5795 UVW & 7850 GVWR) looks like I'm ok. but am I...........?? I was on a site that said the details per Ford are not accurate. I used there method to calculate c/o

"To get the actual trailer weight limit for YOUR truck, take your truck's "Payload Rating" off of the driver door sticker. Subtract the weight of the driver and all passengers who will be in the truck. Subtract the weight of the weight distribution hitch (you DO have a weight distribution hitch, don't you). If you have a topper or a tonneau cover, subtract its weight. Estimate and subtract the weight of all the stuff you will carry in the truck while camping, like chairs, tables, generators, grills, firewood, EVERYTHING. Now, take whatever is left of the payload rating and divide by 13%. Whatever number you get is the maximum-ish trailer weight (loaded, not dry) that you can safely tow.The trailer's tongue weight should be in the 10% to 15% range of its total weight for sway control. You can get a range of maximum trailer weights by dividing by 10% and 15%, but I think 13% gets you in the ball park +/- a couple of hundred pounds."

Using that calcilation above I get from 6200 lbs to 6900 lbs loaded trailer weight............which to me means my truck would not be a good fit. Totally confused. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I have found the trailer I want but can't afford to buy a new truck.
    What is the cargo carrying capacity rating of your truck? From the door sticker? On Fords it will say, "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should not exceed:" then a number. For my F350, that number is 3,273 lbs.

Once you have that, load everything into the truck that you would take camping and not carry in the camper, including all people and 4 legged family that would go with you in the truck, hitch, go fill the gas tank, go to the truck stop with a CAT scale, and get the actual weight of your loaded truck.

Then subtract at number from the GVWR listed on the truck. That will give you your remaining cargo carrying capacity. That number SHOULD be less than the CCC number on the yellow sticker inside the driver's door. In my case, my remaining CCC is 2,469 lbs.

For my fifth wheel, my CALCULATED pin weight is 2,799 lbs. When I weighed my combined rig (truck with coach attached), my pin weight was 2,240 lbs. With no water in the tanks.

I'm pushing the very upper limit of my CCC.

Also, if you searched the forum, this topic comes up at least once a week and it's answered just as thoroughly as my reply here.
    Last edited by MoonShadow_1911; 02-14-2023 at 12:39 PM.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too big a trailer

24 feet imo is the max for a half ton
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. 1813 lbs is on the door sticker you refer to. I am looking around on the site for details.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. 1813 lbs is on the door sticker you refer to. I am looking around on the site for details.
    The calculated pin weight of that trailer is approximately 1,177.5 lbs when fully loaded. That means you have 635.5 lbs of CCC available (this is without weighing the vehicle). Subtract the weight of you and your passenger(s) at an average of 180 lbs of adult makes and 150 lbs average for adult females, for two people, that would be around 330 lbs. Now, you have 305.5 lbs of CCC available. Subtract tools and other stuff, and you will likely arrive at a negative CCC.

As was started in another response, you will have to much trailer for your truck and, after the first time or two of driving it for a distance, you will be looking for a new 3/4 or 1 ton truck.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a lot of payload on that TT, unless you plan on loading a lot you can plan about 1,000 lbs over empty for actual loaded weight.

You do have a shorter wheelbase then I do and I don't believe you have max tow so our trucks aren't exactly the same. I would be ok with that trailer on my truck, I tow a 2800BH which is about 2' longer and a little heavier. For a year and a half I was very happy with how it towed with the Blue Ox sway pro, then late last year I had wind issues three separate times. The hitch did its job and brought the TT back in line after each push although it was an uncomfortable and possibly dangerous drive. I have upgraded to a Pro Pride but only have one trip with good conditions with it so far.
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have 1600 lbs of payload and make it work. It's just me, wife, dog, and minimal cargo in the truck. I towed from Arizona to Wisconsin and back last year with zero issues. Plenty of stopping power. Plenty of downhill engine braking with manual shifting. Plenty of power to hold 55-60 mph up hills in AZ, NM, and CO, even with the "weak" GM 5.3L. You'll be fine as long as you don't plan on carrying hundreds of pounds of tools, firewood, etc in the truck.

I'm getting a 3/4 ton next time, but the 2600RB is happy behind my half ton for now.

That said, I did spend the $ to make the half ton experience the best it can be. ProPride hitch, RAS on the rear axle of the truck, and Load Range E tires in place of the squishy P metric tires that are on factory half tons.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like you're new here @ricklauri, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've already had some good advice on truck capacity, my experience is that it is better to have a bit more than enough, the towing experience with a 3/4 ton is significantly different than with a half-ton.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2600RB but pull it with a 2022 F250SD 6.7 diesel. We tried it with the Tundra 5.7L gas V8 and it was really marginal...especially in hills. There was no way to use the cruise-control. I think you will be a little under-powered with the 3.5L V6, especially if you have mountains and are ever in a hurry. The 2600RB is rated at 7850 full-load. You are probably okay on weights.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwalthall View Post
    I think you will be a little under-powered with the 3.5L V6, especially if you have mountains and are ever in a hurry.
    The 3.5 Eco boost is very capable and I have never heard anyone complain about lack of power with it and it won't be a limiting factor hear. I have not been in the western mountains but in the Smokey's I have not found one I can't easily accelerate on. I am not familiar with the Tundra and 5.7 but the 3.5 and I think even the 2.7 will outperform the Ford 5.0.
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast