Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AC Power While Sitting at Home?

Hi,
    We have a 2022 GD 337RLS. We are at home now and won 't go out on the road again until the end of March. Do we leave the rig plugged into house power during that period? We would typically not plug the rig in while it sat between trips until a few days before when we fired up the refrigerator. Just looking for the correct procedure.
    Curtis & Arnette Wessel
    2022 Reflection 337RLS
    2021 Ford F-250

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AC Power While Sitting at Home?

No harm in leaving it plugged in and no harm unplugging it

I leave mine plugged in with the fridge running from spring to fall but put the cord away in winter simply because of it being in the way for snow removal
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CurtisWessel View Post
    Hi,
    We have a 2022 GD 337RLS. We are at home now and won 't go out on the road again until the end of March. Do we leave the rig plugged into house power during that period? We would typically not plug the rig in while it sat between trips until a few days before when we fired up the refrigerator. Just looking for the correct procedure.
    Leaving it plugged in will provide power to the converter/charger and keep your battery or batteries charged....which isn't a bad thing. The exception to that is if you have LiFePO batteries, you shouldn't store them fully charged for long periods of time, generally anything over a month or so. LiFePo should normally be stored between 40% to 70% SOC.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If unplugged, and no solar to maintain your battery, disconnect it.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    If unplugged, and no solar to maintain your battery, disconnect it.
    To add on to this, actually disconnect the battery, don't just use the disconnect switch, it won't remove all loads from the battery.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Leaving it plugged in will provide power to the converter/charger and keep your battery or batteries charged....which isn't a bad thing. The exception to that is if you have LiFePO batteries, you shouldn't store them fully charged for long periods of time, generally anything over a month or so. LiFePo should normally be stored between 40% to 70% SOC.
    The LifePo batteries are lithium are they not. If your not supposed to leave them at full charge then they would not be good for someone like us that are plugged in for 7 months straight when in Florida. Is this true or am I missing something.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    The LifePo batteries are lithium are they not. If your not supposed to leave them at full charge then they would not be good for someone like us that are plugged in for 7 months straight when in Florida. Is this true or am I missing something.
    You might be missing something, but then again, I may not have fully stated that this applies when in storage....as in no camper usage. If you guys are plugged in for 7 months and using or living in the camper, there would not be an issue with that. In that scenario, that battery is constantly getting discharged to some degree and the converter/charger is charging it back up.

It's important to keep Lead Acid batteries charged...with at least a trickle charge at float voltage or even fully charged. And a Lead Acid battery will self discharge much quicker than a LiFePO (LFP) battery, so keeping them charged is a good thing. LFP, in almost all instances should not sit without some usage at fully charged, it will definitely affect battery longevity.

When I put my camper into hibernation (winter storage) last year in Nov. I ran my LFP battery down to approx. 60% SOC. I have a battery disconnect that completely disconnects the battery from any drain.....just like lifting a battery lead from the battery terminal would do. It finally made it down to just under 34% SOC and today, I turned the disconnect on and charged it back up to 50% SOC. It will like sit like that...slowly dropping over the next few months until which time I dewinterize it this spring....sometime in April.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might be missing something, but then again, I may not have fully stated that this applies when in storage....as in no camper usage. If you guys are plugged in for 7 months and using or living in the camper, there would not be an issue with that. In that scenario, that battery is constantly getting discharged to some degree and the converter/charger is charging it back up.

It's important to keep Lead Acid batteries charged...with at least a trickle charge at float voltage or even fully charged. And a Lead Acid battery will self discharge much quicker than a LiFePO (LFP) battery, so keeping them charged is a good thing. LFP, in almost all instances should not sit without some usage at fully charged, it will definitely affect battery longevity.

When I put my camper into hibernation (winter storage) last year in Nov. I ran my LFP battery down to approx. 60% SOC. I have a battery disconnect that completely disconnects the battery from any drain.....just like lifting a battery lead from the battery terminal would do. It finally made it down to just under 34% SOC and today, I turned the disconnect on and charged it back up to 50% SOC. It will like sit like that...slowly dropping over the next few months until which time I dewinterize it this spring....sometime in April.
    Thank you for the reply. No my mistake. My first thought was being plugged in it wouldn't be getting used. Don't know why I know there are a lot of things in the trailer that are 12 volt only. They would cause it to do just what you said.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you guys are plugged in for 7 months and using or living in the camper, there would not be an issue with that. In that scenario, that battery is constantly getting discharged to some degree and the converter/charger is charging it back up.
    This is the same responde that I got from Battle Born when I asked them a couple of years ago about holding their batteries at full charge all the time while living in the trailer. My lingering question is does the battery actually get discharged when living in the trailer or does the converter dominate and provide all the necessary charge and the batteries just sit there fully charged? I guess if the converter was programmed to wait until the batteries drop to a certain voltage before coming on then that would allow some discharge of the batteries. For me it does not matter since I turn off the convert and let the solar do its thing. Draw down at night and charge up in the day. The only time I use the converter is when dry camping and clouds or tree shade prevents a full battery charge from solar.
    Last edited by Always Learning; 02-16-2023 at 03:14 PM.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
    This is the same responde that I got from Battle Born when I asked them a couple of years ago about holding their batteries at full charge all the time. My lingering question is does the battery actually get discharged when living in the trailer or does the converter dominate and provide all the necessary charge and the batteries just sit there fully charged? I guess if the converter was programmed to wait until the batteries drop to a certain voltage before coming on then that would allow some discharge of the batteries. For me it does not matter since I turn off the convert and let the solar do its thing. Draw down at night and charge up in the day. The only time I use the converter is when dry camping and clouds or tree shade prevents a full battery charge from solar.
    I can say from reading my 60 day history in the Victron BMV, that there is a small but nightly discharge which doesn't always kick the charge converter on. I have a PD-9160ALV and solar so typically, solar will pop the batteries up to 14.2-14.4v which will drop back to 13.6v overnight. if the PD sees the batteries at 13.6v, it sees them as fully charged but is also sees the solar charging source. It won't kick on until 13.2v or under high amp draw.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast