Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Move the Home Directv box to the RV ?

We have Directv at the home base. A Genie HR-54-700 box, Slimline dish on the roof outside at the home base.

My research shows I should be able to buy the correct Slimline dish on a tripod. Then take the Genie box, rg6 cable and power supply to the RV ?

We spend a couple months in the mountains of AZ. Not worried about local channels.
    2021 Solitude S Class 3540GK
    F-350 DRW Diesel

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a reasonable plan. What kind of help were you looking for?
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_in_AZ View Post
    We have Directv at the home base. A Genie HR-54-700 box, Slimline dish on the roof outside at the home base.

My research shows I should be able to buy the correct Slimline dish on a tripod. Then take the Genie box, rg6 cable and power supply to the RV ?

We spend a couple months in the mountains of AZ. Not worried about local channels.
    Should work fine. I recommend getting a in line signal meter to aid in setting up the dish.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have done this for years with an old HR24 DVR. For convenience of size and aiming, I have just used a 18" round antenna but have to put up with SD signals. The main feature for me is loading up the DVR with recorded programs (which are in HD) and being able to view when a wooded campsite provides no clear path to aiming the antenna.

I would be very interested in how the slimline dish on a tripod works for you.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Sounds like a reasonable plan. What kind of help were you looking for?
    I was running this past the room here

I am a tech idiot, but 55 yrs of automotive type repair. I can cypher on things in front of me. I learned the power supply to the dish and proper dish is important for the HR54 box.

We have not moved this stuff yet or had to call Directv if the system does not want to work due to relocation. Trees will be minimum at the camp grounds we stay at...

When on the road traveling, the tv use is minimum

thanks to all
    F-350 DRW Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

I have a Directv dish on a tripod stand hooked to my Genie box at the home base. Testing this mobile dish for on the road use.

I bought a kit on Amazon that included new dish with mount and LNB, tripod, cables, power inserter, bubble level , compass

Items I have learned:

Our Genie box is model HR54-700. This box feeds electrical power to the dish via the cable. No power inserter is needed for the HR54 box setup. Other boxes may need the power inserter.

I am using an android app Satellite Finder to help point the dish in the general direction. This SAT Dish aligning is a learning curve. The app gets the dish "mostly" pointed, then fine tuning is needed and I can safely say that is a P I T A. After a few times setting this up , I figure it will get easier?

Basically I wrote down the various signal strength numbers you can read on the TV signal strength the Genie box puts up on the screen of the TV from the roof mounted dish. then I tried to match those numbers on the tripod mounted dish.

F-350 DRW Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have used DTV for the last 15 years.. Use it in the Fifth wheel.. Setup was an HR24 HD receiver and slimline dish for HD reception.. Aiming the antenna usually took no more than 3 to 5 minutes.. Simply use their Sat locator and enter the zipcode of the area you are at..
    You will then get the Elevation and Azimuth headings... Tilt does not require adjusting once the dish is setup at home for the first time.. just elevation and Azimuth

NOTE - of you are out of your Home area you will NOT receive the local tv stations

You can call them to get that changed but depending on the person you get on the phone your results may vary

We dumped DTV this year and switched to YouTube TV because DTV lost the NFL Sunday package and YouTube now has the contract.

Also saving us about $120 a month now since we dont have to pay the DTV add on fees such as:
    TV fee for each TV set
    HD receiver reception fee
    Add on fee for each additional receiver ( we had the older Genie plus the HR20 in the fifth wheel)
    and there are about 3 other charges

NOTE - the Genie receiver you have at home has a built in power inserter so you DO NOT need to buy a power inserter to use with the slimline antenna mounted on a tripod..

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Winegard TV Signal Finder App. In AR mode it uses the camera and superimposes the satellite locations on the screen so you can see if you have a clear path to the satellites. It would also help you align the dish correctly to get the best signal.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for feed back.. I have been thru 3 phone apps for SAT alignment. I Will give the Winegard app a look.

We do not watch local channels or sports , so those 2 items are not a problem.
    F-350 DRW Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had Dtv for quite some time and used a separate dish for the trailer. I found that the tripod is important. You've got to get the post perpendicular to the ground, otherwise you'll fight the elevation and azimuth forever. I don't use the tripod any more if you're interested. I could usually be watching TV within 30 minutes of of putting the slides out.

I would also check sat dish settings before leaving home, just in case cell coverage was spotty. Started writing elevation and azimuth settings on the back of the dish of places we frequented. Aiming the dish got easier and easier.
    Let me know if you have any questions or if you want a nice tripod.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast