User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Furrion Arctic 16 Cu. Ft. 12 volt fridge is dead - now what?

So our rig (GD Reflection 337RLS) is one year old. We have been out in it for weeks and months at a time. Yesterday we arrived at Choke Canyon State Park in Texas and discovered that our new 12 volt, compressor driven refrigerator was dead. No lights, no cooling. I checked the circuit breaker in the front bay and it reported 13.9 volts. I checked all other appliances, fuses, circuit breakers and nothing else was affected. After some research online, I found that Furrion apparently has a reputation for cutting some corners on the wire gauge it uses in its refrigerators and a blown 15 amp fuse is common. Apparently that fuse is buried behind a panel on the back of the fridge. Not only that, but they used an old style glass cylinder fuse instead of a much more common blade fuse (as found in our cars). I have also read that Furrion and Grand Design know about this common problem and that there is an upgrade kit available from Furrion. No recall has been issued to date.

Which leads me to the reason for this post. Have any of you with the same refrigerator had this problem? Did you fix it yourself, and if so, how did you remove the fridge from the slide? As usual, it is at least a month before my dealer can fit me into their schedule. I would sure appreciate any help this community can provide.

Regards,
    Mike Strycharske
    Last edited by strycharske; 02-16-2023 at 10:56 AM. Reason: typos in title

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by strycharske View Post
    So our rig (GD Reflection 337RLS) is one year old. We have been out in it for weeks and months at a time. Yesterday we arrived at Choke Canyon State Park in Texas and discovered that our new 12 volt, compressor driven refrigerator was dead. No lights, no cooling. I checked the circuit breaker in the front bay and it reported 13.9 volts. I checked all other appliances, fuses, circuit breakers and nothing else was affected. After some research online, I found that Furrion apparently has a reputation for cutting some corners on the wire gauge it uses in its refrigerators and a blown 15 amp fuse is common. Apparently that fuse is buried behind a panel on the back of the fridge. Not only that, but they used an old style glass cylinder fuse instead of a much more common blade fuse (as found in our cars). I have also read that Furrion and Grand Design know about this common problem and that there is an upgrade kit available from Furrion. No recall has been issued to date.

Which leads me to the reason for this post. Have any of you with the same refrigerator had this problem? Did you fix it yourself, and if so, how did you remove the fridge from the slide? As usual, it is at least a month before my dealer can fit me into their schedule. I would sure appreciate any help this community can provide.

Regards,
    Mike Strycharske
    Hey Mike, so sorry to hear about your issue with the Furrion frig. We have the same frig and so far (fingers crossed) it has worked well. Have you reached out to GD customer support? Some times they will authorize a mobile tech for issues like this.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Hey Mike, so sorry to hear about your issue with the Furrion frig. We have the same frig and so far (fingers crossed) it has worked well. Have you reached out to GD customer support? Some times they will authorize a mobile tech for issues like this.
    Good answer Stephen.....that is what I would do also.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Stephen and Xrated,
    Yes, I contacted GD support. They were concerned and offered some advice, but mostly told me to take it to my dealer. My dealer cannot get me in for a month (mid March). Looking online I found some YouTube videos that complain about the under gauge wiring used by Furrion and apparently a blown fuse is a common culprit. A blown fuse is like pain - it is an indicator of something wrong. No one has any experience with this particular fridge. I guess it is still too new. It looks like a bear to remove in the field and I would not want to do it alone. So, we are cutting our current trip short and I will be heading to the RV dealer in a month.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Stephen and Xrated,
    Yes, I contacted GD support. They were concerned and offered some advice, but mostly told me to take it to my dealer. My dealer cannot get me in for a month (mid March). Looking online I found some YouTube videos that complain about the under gauge wiring used by Furrion and apparently a blown fuse is a common culprit. A blown fuse is like pain - it is an indicator of something wrong. No one has any experience with this particular fridge. I guess it is still too new. It looks like a bear to remove in the field and I would not want to do it alone. So, we are cutting our current trip short and I will be heading to the RV dealer in a month.
    So sorry you're losing part of your trip. I agree that I wouldn't want to tackle pulling it out on my own, do you have mobile techs available where you are?
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi SoundSailor,
    Actually, I am a graduate of the NRVTA and a registered tech. I have not set up a business, just have the knowledge. I know I could fix it, but just don't want to wrestle the thing around here in the field. I have an existing warrantee issue that my local dealer is going to fix, so I will have them work on the fridge at the same time. Already called them to let them know.

I reached out to a couple of regional techs, closest is about 45 miles away, and left messages. No replies as yet. Also, GD is finnicky when it comes to local mobile techs. In Texas you need to get a release from your dealer for a mobile tech to work on the rig and still protect the warrantee, and GD will pay for the parts and labor, but not the service call - probably around $150 to $200.

So, we will head home tomorrow and get it all fixed up next month. We already have plans for a three month excursion beginning in May so I want to make sure everything is copesetic before we set out. Thanks for the suggestions.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I would post an update about my dead refrigerator. The GD not only paid us back for coolers we purchased to save as much food a possible, but approved a replacement under warrantee. Out dealer swapped it out for a new one and fixed a few other things at the same time. All in all, aside from having to abort our trip, it was a relatively painless experience. We are on the road again and everything is cool (all puns are intended).

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the update. I do think GD's customer service is better than nearly all companies I've dealt with. I had the same fridge problem and resolved it by turning the battery disconnect a quarter turn (I know). Before that, however, I did the same research as you about the 15-amp fuse. GD customer service told me that, on my particular model, it is a blade fuse. I removed the rear panel and the top panel but never did find a 15-amp fuse. By the way, if you empty the fridge, it's not near as hard to remove as people have said. Anyway, I'm glad your fridge (and mine) work now.
    Ross & Sue | Papillion, Nebraska
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2020 F-350 XLT CCSB FX4 7.3L Gas
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi TheHulk,
    I tried that too. In fact I killed all electrical in the rig and let it sit for 15 minutes to do a "reset." Did not work. It turned out that I had a fried control board in the fridge. That is why they replaced it.
    Glad to hear you were able to resolve your fridge issue.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi TheHulk,
    I tried that too. In fact I killed all electrical in the rig and let it sit for 15 minutes to do a "reset." Did not work. It turned out that I had a fried control board in the fridge. That is why they replaced it.
    Glad to hear you were able to resolve your fridge issue.
    Does anyone know if this glass fuse issue is for the 16 cu ft double door Furrion fridges or the smaller units? I was told that the 16 cu ft ones are run from the circuit breaker in front area and do not have the glass fuse. If mine has that affected fuse...I'm tempted to pull the fridge out or change the wiring or whatever is needed before the issue happens.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast