User Tag List

View Poll Results: How angry should I be?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Settle down, it's nothing!

3 7.89%
  • That's not very good!

7 18.42%
  • Whoa... that is really wrong

4 10.53%
  • Angry. Very Angry.

7 18.42%
  • Livid. That was extremely dangerous!

17 44.74%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyT View Post
    After the consistent weight police commentary -- i won't a pic of anything. This thread has become an outlet for the keyboard weight police warriors, so I'm going to let it rest in their turmoil. I'll go after the dealership...
    Unsure what you are going after the dealership for but if you post something unsafe on a forum there will be comments.
    Good luck and tow safe
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After the consistent weight police commentary -- i won't a pic of anything. This thread has become an outlet for the keyboard weight police warriors, so I'm going to let it rest in their turmoil. I'll go after the dealership...
    You are funny. You asked and don't like the answers. Keep driving 75 and let us know where so we won't be in the area.

Weight police. Ha ha ha ha ha

Love it.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for responding... I still need to post a picture of the new setup -- but it's dark out now. I'll try tomorrow.

... not a really supportive crowd on here. Between the Land Rover shaming and my level of being "inept" -- I must be a complete jerk. And a dumb one, at that. Really surprised at the theme of Land Rover shaming... instead of focusing on the pretty clear error the dealer made. I thought -- maybe -- 3500lbs on the hitch had lots of wiggle room and I was overreacting. So I was curious at how others saw the fact pattern. Somehow, it took a turn and I've become a renegade driving a huge trailer behind a souped-up lawn mower putting everyone on the roadways in danger.

I had a Dodge Ram 3500 Turbo Diesel Dualie to pull my older -- and larger -- RV in the past. Big truck, lots of masculinity and definitely put those Land Rover elites in their place. Ruled the road in complete control.

The problem is... having that giant truck sucked. I'd get to a location, disconnect the trailer, and then had this monster that was just awful to drive around and enjoy the surrounding towns and sites. Parking was always a problem and we just got sick of how bad it was to have such a monster truck as the vehicle we had to use to explore.

So, I went a different route. Did some research and worked WITH the SERVICE MANAGER to figure out how this would all work. Didn't deal with the salesman -- because I didn't want "yes" -- I wanted a professional, well-thought-out opinion on how --and what -- I could get as an alternative to using my 3500. Unlike some have implied... I didn't walk in there and demand they make this all work. I didn't do the Land Rover elite pose and stand back and watch as they succumbed to my irrational desires.

It was a collaborative process where the final solution had to be something that worked. And I could have gotten other RVs... it was all a puzzle that we put together to get a good solution. I relied on their expertise because -- like many people -- I get help when I'm not sure of the details. I don't repair my HVAC system that no longer works correctly -- I call the professional who work with these systems to resolve it.

If relying on the dealership to properly equip the towing setup makes me an idiot -- then I'm guilty.

I just spent 3 days driving from Boston to Florida with that crappy scrappy Land Rover (and the new hitch). Had wind, rain, lots of traffic in NYC and DC, sudden stops and tight spaces. Drove 75mph and passed cars, trucks and other vehicles. Went up hills and down them. Despite the extensive concerns expressed here, I didn't leave a trail of carnage. The new hitch remains perfectly straight and perfect. And we all survived (although there was a really low bridge I was positive was going to rip off the AC condenser -- it didn't). Didn't even white knuckle it.

While everything about my unholy setup violates every sacrosanct rule of towing an RV... I'm actually pretty happy with it. And amazed at how well all the pieces work together. Campers Inn was wrong and should never, ever, have configured, installed and sold me that tinker toy hitch. It was bent because it was woefully inadequate for the task. It was cracked because it was terrible and inappropriate for the use scenario. I'm going to stick to being very, very, angry with Campers Inn about this. And have them pay for the replacement (or reimburse me the amount I originally paid).

As a side note... I had them winterize the RV for me. When I hooked up water, it sprayed everywhere in the water heater area. Seems they "forgot" that the 2600RB has a hose to an external port right near the water heater -- and didn't bother to drain that line -- so it burst. I know, I know... totally my fault for not checking work I paid them to do -- as is my responsibility, apparently.

I'll get a photo of the new setup tomorrow.
    Good response JohnnyT. We all make mistakes in life because we don't know the correct procedures. And usually when we don't know we talk to people who are supposed to know so that we can make an educated decision. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who talk a good game that have no clue what is the best way to do something. When I was the contractor on building my own home I knew enough to have an idea that could get me in trouble. One day my framer came to be with a problem. He explained the options and then asked me how I wanted it done. I was more informed but knew that he still knew a lot more than me so I asked him what he would do if it was his house and we went with that. Things worked great whenever I had decent people answering that question. From the sound of it you got a service manager that maybe was not the most knowledgeable person on the subject. (obviously, there are a lot of responses you have gotten here from more knowledgeable people, maybe ?? lol). Something that I would look at would be the speed/load rating of the tires on your two vehicle and on your RV. Some of the tires out there are not rated for 75 mph. I know my fifth wheel tires are only rated at 81 mph but I try to never get anywhere close to that. Maybe also check the rear axle rating on your tow vehicle. Just a couple of safety items to look at. Hopefully you never have to deal with that dealership again, I know I would be most unhappy with them. Enjoy your travels!
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on. You posted a picture of the bent hitch why not now post a picture of the upgraded replacement after saying you would?

So by not posting pictures we are left to assume that you have determined that your new setup is not in conformance and you don't want to get embarrassed or harassed. We are all about safety here.

EDIT: You are obviously a very intelligent person based on your postings and I see from your profile. that you are a "Recovered lawyer", so I know you can take it.
    Last edited by Jerryr; 03-03-2023 at 05:10 PM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi JohnnyT. I have read all the posts and yours as well. I am pretty sure that you are still reading the comments....I know I would. I'd like to take the opportunity to put in my 2 cents worth....although in Canada we no longer have cents or sense!!! Whatever.

A lot of the respondents to your post are, for the most part, seasoned and knowledgeable RVers, as am I but not as much as some of them. We often assume, rightly or wrongly, that all RV'ers including newbies should be knowledgeable to a degree. However, most often this is not the case and this is why these forums exist. Incidentally, I am pretty sure that some of them have bent the rules in the past. I can assure you that I did as well with a tent trailer by loading a canoe (17ft) on a GMC Safari and two sea kayaks and two bikes on the Coleman Mesa tent trailer loaded with all kinds of stuff. Over loaded the trailer, it swayed wildly at one point, and I later found out that I bent the axle. I was within my towing capacities but exceed payload capacities I think in both truck and tent trailer. I never checked. Just paid for the repairs.

One of the RV great debates is the subject of towing....capacity, loads, engine (diesel/gas), etcetera. Not all of us do the research to mate our tow vehicles to our towables and we expect the dealers (automotive & RV) do guide us along the way. Unfortunately....they fail miserably in this area. Sadly, many RVers out there are towing out of the range of some of their published capacities.

I concur with you that your dealer, as you stated, is incompetent....totally incompetent and should have never set you up the way he did. Good luck with your endeavors in that respect.

You will note that I also have a 2600RB but also have a GMC 1500 Sierra equipped with all the towing options I could get. I have a weight distribution hitch and a class IV receiver. I have taken both the truck and trailer (loaded for a trip including extra weight for passenger and dog) to the scales in order to adjust the hitch. I am within all my capacities, i.e. tow vehicle payload (max is 1956lbs am at 1800lbs), tongue weight (max 1400lbs am at 1025lbs), GCWR (max 16,802lbs am at 14,801), max trailer weight (GVWR 7850lbs am at 7231lbs). Rear axle weights.......on and on.

I can tow the 2600RB safely but would feel more comfortable with a 2500. At today's pricing and availability I will have to stick with the 1500 with a few mods, air bags, better shocks, and real LT tires plus beefing the suspension components on 2600....i.e. moryde and bring a bit less garbage or substitute lighter weight items, i.e. get rid of overweight barbecue and 5lb tank. Feed propane from onboard tanks...there goes a few lbs. Also, not listen to wife concerning how much clothing I should pack LOL. And my fault for packing a weeks worth of food if not more. Stores exist but we have been guilty of this since our first tent trip together.

I am not going to say that you shouldn't be towing with your Land Rover but it appears that you might only have a class III hitch and that would be undersize for the 2600.

I drive at 60 to 65mph and occasionally white knuckle when the cross winds gust above a certain mph. Just the initial shock of it.

I am certain that all the respondents in this forum are concerned for you and your safety and they as well as I only ask that you check your numbers. Therefore as a serious exercise, match your numbers to mine and see what the math says. Go to the scales and check against your vehicle's published ratings.

Do note (and God forbid) that if you were to have a serious road accident when towing as your vehicles will be towed and weighed. If you exceed any of the stated capacities you will could be in deep doo doo especially in the US.

Best of luck and stay safe.
    Pierre & Tara

2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
    1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrovsky View Post
    Hi JohnnyT. I have read all the posts and yours as well. I am pretty sure that you are still reading the comments....I know I would. I'd like to take the opportunity to put in my 2 cents worth....although in Canada we no longer have cents or sense!!! Whatever.

A lot of the respondents to your post are, for the most part, seasoned and knowledgeable RVers, as am I but not as much as some of them. We often assume, rightly or wrongly, that all RV'ers including newbies should be knowledgeable to a degree. However, most often this is not the case and this is why these forums exist. Incidentally, I am pretty sure that some of them have bent the rules in the past. I can assure you that I did as well with a tent trailer by loading a canoe (17ft) on a GMC Safari and two sea kayaks and two bikes on the Coleman Mesa tent trailer loaded with all kinds of stuff. Over loaded the trailer, it swayed wildly at one point, and I later found out that I bent the axle. I was within my towing capacities but exceed payload capacities I think in both truck and tent trailer. I never checked. Just paid for the repairs.

One of the RV great debates is the subject of towing....capacity, loads, engine (diesel/gas), etcetera. Not all of us do the research to mate our tow vehicles to our towables and we expect the dealers (automotive & RV) do guide us along the way. Unfortunately....they fail miserably in this area. Sadly, many RVers out there are towing out of the range of some of their published capacities.

I concur with you that your dealer, as you stated, is incompetent....totally incompetent and should have never set you up the way he did. Good luck with your endeavors in that respect.

You will note that I also have a 2600RB but also have a GMC 1500 Sierra equipped with all the towing options I could get. I have a weight distribution hitch and a class IV receiver. I have taken both the truck and trailer (loaded for a trip including extra weight for passenger and dog) to the scales in order to adjust the hitch. I am within all my capacities, i.e. tow vehicle payload (max is 1956lbs am at 1800lbs), tongue weight (max 1400lbs am at 1025lbs), GCWR (max 16,802lbs am at 14,801), max trailer weight (GVWR 7850lbs am at 7231lbs). Rear axle weights.......on and on.

I can tow the 2600RB safely but would feel more comfortable with a 2500. At today's pricing and availability I will have to stick with the 1500 with a few mods, air bags, better shocks, and real LT tires plus beefing the suspension components on 2600....i.e. moryde and bring a bit less garbage or substitute lighter weight items, i.e. get rid of overweight barbecue and 5lb tank. Feed propane from onboard tanks...there goes a few lbs. Also, not listen to wife concerning how much clothing I should pack LOL. And my fault for packing a weeks worth of food if not more. Stores exist but we have been guilty of this since our first tent trip together.

I am not going to say that you shouldn't be towing with your Land Rover but it appears that you might only have a class III hitch and that would be undersize for the 2600.

I drive at 60 to 65mph and occasionally white knuckle when the cross winds gust above a certain mph. Just the initial shock of it.

I am certain that all the respondents in this forum are concerned for you and your safety and they as well as I only ask that you check your numbers. Therefore as a serious exercise, match your numbers to mine and see what the math says. Go to the scales and check against your vehicle's published ratings.

Do note (and God forbid) that if you were to have a serious road accident when towing as your vehicles will be towed and weighed. If you exceed any of the stated capacities you will could be in deep doo doo especially in the US.

Best of luck and stay safe.
    i agree with everything you said,except that last crash/ weight dig...
    that just doesn't happen for many reasons, firstly because when a rv crashes, the debri field is too large.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude, You asked our opinion and posted a poll even. Sorry you don't like responses that express concern about the adequacy of your vehicle to to your trailer. But you asked foe, and got, lots of responses. Did you ever post a picture of your current tow vehicle's weight ratings and tow ratings? Have you weighed your trailer and truck, fully loaded as you would on a trip? Because without seeing those numbers I would be very, very cautious about towing with that vehicle.
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678