User Tag List

View Poll Results: How angry should I be?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Settle down, it's nothing!

3 7.89%
  • That's not very good!

7 18.42%
  • Whoa... that is really wrong

4 10.53%
  • Angry. Very Angry.

7 18.42%
  • Livid. That was extremely dangerous!

17 44.74%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Followed the instructions to mount an understrength hitch and then mount it upside down?
    It wasn’t mounted “upside down”. It is a drop-raise platform
    You either mount a ball to use it as a rise to reach the coupler ( like in this instance for a low suv) or a drop on truck to reach the coupler
    It likely would have lasted forever if the sway bar hadn’t bent it
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't seen the hitch, as you obviously have, and was going by what the OP cited in his first post. Since you've seen the hitch, could you post some photos?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't seen the hitch, as you obviously have, and was going by what the OP cited in his first post. Since you've seen the hitch, could you post some photos?
    The op posted the photos above
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious. The conclusion was the tt was too heavy (pin weight) and close on total weight? And the op was driving 75mph and thinks it's a good idea? Wow
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jims94vmx View Post
    Just curious. The conclusion was the tt was too heavy (pin weight) and close on total weight? And the op was driving 75mph and thinks it's a good idea? Wow
    What speed the OP was traveling with the old undersized hitch was not mentioned that I could see.
    Howard and Peggy

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What speed the OP was traveling with the old undersized hitch was not mentioned that I could see.
    New hitch, same undersized vehicle.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jims94vmx View Post
    New hitch, same undersized vehicle.
    From what I read, the vehicle is rated to pull that trailer.
    Howard and Peggy

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyT View Post
    Thanks everyone for responding... I still need to post a picture of the new setup -- but it's dark out now. I'll try tomorrow.

... not a really supportive crowd on here. Between the Land Rover shaming and my level of being "inept" -- I must be a complete jerk. And a dumb one, at that. Really surprised at the theme of Land Rover shaming... instead of focusing on the pretty clear error the dealer made. I thought -- maybe -- 3500lbs on the hitch had lots of wiggle room and I was overreacting. So I was curious at how others saw the fact pattern. Somehow, it took a turn and I've become a renegade driving a huge trailer behind a souped-up lawn mower putting everyone on the roadways in danger.
    Towing a nearly 8000lb TT with a 115" wheelbase TV at or over its weight limits at 75 mph IS dangerous. I think its pretty difficult to get someone to change their mind about their choices once they have started down their path. All we can do, on this or any forum, is share our collective experiences, right or wrong and hope that the posts help in the end.

So, I went a different route. Did some research and worked WITH the SERVICE MANAGER to figure out how this would all work. Didn't deal with the salesman -- because I didn't want "yes" -- I wanted a professional, well-thought-out opinion on how --and what -- I could get as an alternative to using my 3500. Unlike some have implied... I didn't walk in there and demand they make this all work. I didn't do the Land Rover elite pose and stand back and watch as they succumbed to my irrational desires.
    First, I don't know what the LR "elite pose" is. Pictures might help. Second, from reading all of the responses on this thread, the majority agree the dealer has some responsibility in selling you the wrong hitch set up. Is the dealer legally at fault? I don't know, but without specific damages, it seems it will come down to making things right (for you) from a customer service standpoint.

I just spent 3 days driving from Boston to Florida with that crappy scrappy Land Rover (and the new hitch). Had wind, rain, lots of traffic in NYC and DC, sudden stops and tight spaces. Drove 75mph and passed cars, trucks and other vehicles. Went up hills and down them. Despite the extensive concerns expressed here, I didn't leave a trail of carnage. The new hitch remains perfectly straight and perfect. And we all survived (although there was a really low bridge I was positive was going to rip off the AC condenser -- it didn't). Didn't even white knuckle it.
    So the dealer put your family in danger by selling and installing the wrong hitch, but you didn't jeopardize your family's safety by towing with your setup, new hitch and all, at 75 mph? I mean, every one survived, right?

Sincerely wishing you safe travels.
    Last edited by Fsalmy; 02-21-2023 at 08:42 AM.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    Towing a nearly 8000lb TT with a 115" wheelbase TV at or over its weight limits at 75 mph IS dangerous. I think its pretty difficult to get someone to change their mind about their choices once they have started down their path. All we can do, on this or any forum, is share our collective experiences, right or wrong and hope that the posts help
    Yeah I didn’t understand how speed is an indicator of ability and safety
    My larger GMC and smaller trailer can easily do 75. I am quite positive it could do 90 but I don’t go over 63. Ever. Why? Safety

The OP is disappointed he isn’t getting support but that is the great thing about these forums. What he takes from it is up to him
    His setup is “working” until it doesn’t. I mean even that bent hitch he posted a pic of worked. It didn’t fail or cause an accident

Will be interesting to see what hitch he ended up with
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for responding... I still need to post a picture of the new setup -- but it's dark out now. I'll try tomorrow.........................................
    I'll get a photo of the new setup tomorrow.
    Looking forward to seeing the new setup

While you are at taking pictures take one of the rating label on the car mounted hitch and post it.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast