User Tag List

View Poll Results: How angry should I be?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Settle down, it's nothing!

3 7.89%
  • That's not very good!

7 18.42%
  • Whoa... that is really wrong

4 10.53%
  • Angry. Very Angry.

7 18.42%
  • Livid. That was extremely dangerous!

17 44.74%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
    Then he needs a different tow vehicle as the tongue weight of the 2600 RB exceeds 500 lb.
    Many of us have told the OP that
    The OP also said he purchased a new hitch but a few of us have asked to know which one but it appears he has not been back
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
    Then he needs a different tow vehicle as the tongue weight of the 2600 RB exceeds 500 lb.
    I’d love to see a picture of his vehicle hitch rating label.

My previous F150 with Max trailer tow package hitch had a limit of 500 lbs without a weight distributing hitch.
    A Discovery DOES NOT HAVE weight distributing capabilities. That’s not possible without some spring bars to move weight for the rear to front axle. It does have auto leveling to raise the rear on the vehicle when loaded but does not redistribute weight to front axle.

Here’s my sticker from my previous 1/2 ton F150 with factory max trailer tow package. Max 500 lbs tongue weight and max 5000 lb trailer without a WD hitch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4DA101D2-F398-4456-9E71-73FCAD195600.jpeg  
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still say that dealers should have some responsibility. I know it's not the case but they should. They pretend that they know when in fact most dont. They'll glance at your tow vehicle and confirm that will be ok and for that I think that they should be liable.
    If you hire a general contractor to build a house with all the valide credential and he does a sloppy job or goes against code then you have some recourse. The same should be with dealers. Whether it's an RV dealer selling an RV to someone without the proper TV or a truck dealer selling an undersize truck to a customer asking for a truck for a particular RV. They are suppose to be the experts.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    I still say that dealers should have some responsibility. I know it's not the case but they should. They pretend that they know when in fact most dont. They'll glance at your tow vehicle and confirm that will be ok and for that I think that they should be liable.
    If you hire a general contractor to build a house with all the valide credential and he does a sloppy job or goes against code then you have some recourse. The same should be with dealers. Whether it's an RV dealer selling an RV to someone without the proper TV or a truck dealer selling an undersize truck to a customer asking for a truck for a particular RV. They are suppose to be the experts.
    Imo there is zero excuse for not being your own expert in the “rv towing” arena
    Nothing is complicated about it at all
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like the saying goes "You don't know what you don't know". Lots of newbs don't even know there's a CCC on a vehicle.

Then when they're seeking advice and they happen to get some from an RV salesperson why would they have reason to doubt what they don't know? Not everyone has street smarts.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just read through the postings and I firmly think that 99% of the issue should be laid at the dealer's door. Somebody mentioned hiring a contractor and having recourse if he screws up, but if he does screw up is it your fault because you didn't know you couldn't have regular sheet rock in a bathroom? If you take your car in to have some recall work done, if the dealer screws it up is that your fault because you didn't do enough research on how to program the computer after doing the update? You go to a dealer that is supposed to know what to do, and how to do it, and you expect them to do it correctly. But it's your fault because they screwed up and you should have known more than them? That's utter nonsense.

Everyone started at step 1, and many people have forgotten how intimidating all this CCC, GVWR, GCVWR, GAWR, etc. really can be. The OP relied on what he considered professionals, and was completely let down by them. IMO, assuming all the relevant information has been posted, and we aren't in the dark about what actually happened, the OP wasn't at all wrong to rely on professionals, but the professionals were simply inept amateurs.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I just read through the postings and I firmly think that 99% of the issue should be laid at the dealer's door. Somebody mentioned hiring a contractor and having recourse if he screws up, but if he does screw up is it your fault because you didn't know you couldn't have regular sheet rock in a bathroom? If you take your car in to have some recall work done, if the dealer screws it up is that your fault because you didn't do enough research on how to program the computer after doing the update? You go to a dealer that is supposed to know what to do, and how to do it, and you expect them to do it correctly. But it's your fault because they screwed up and you should have known more than them? That's utter nonsense.

Everyone started at step 1, and many people have forgotten how intimidating all this CCC, GVWR, GCVWR, GAWR, etc. really can be. The OP relied on what he considered professionals, and was completely let down by them. IMO, assuming all the relevant information has been posted, and we aren't in the dark about what actually happened, the OP wasn't at all wrong to rely on professionals, but the professionals were simply inept amateurs.
    I think the dealer did all they could
    Customer wanted the trailer and then presented the vehicle to tow it with and said he could not have a weight distribution hitch
    Other than refusing to sell the trailer they did what the customer asked
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post

Ya but the OP stated that “Part of the purchase process was to THOROUGHLY research with Land Rover and with the Dealership to understand if and how this combination would work. So, I did my homework to ensure -- beyond any doubt -- that the configuration of vehicle and trailer would work”, obviously his “research” was totally inept, the dealer simply followed his instructions.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    Ya but the OP stated that “Part of the purchase process was to THOROUGHLY research with Land Rover and with the Dealership to understand if and how this combination would work. So, I did my homework to ensure -- beyond any doubt -- that the configuration of vehicle and trailer would work”, obviously his “research” was totally inept, the dealer simply followed his instructions.
    Followed the instructions to mount an understrength hitch and then mount it upside down?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for responding... I still need to post a picture of the new setup -- but it's dark out now. I'll try tomorrow.

... not a really supportive crowd on here. Between the Land Rover shaming and my level of being "inept" -- I must be a complete jerk. And a dumb one, at that. Really surprised at the theme of Land Rover shaming... instead of focusing on the pretty clear error the dealer made. I thought -- maybe -- 3500lbs on the hitch had lots of wiggle room and I was overreacting. So I was curious at how others saw the fact pattern. Somehow, it took a turn and I've become a renegade driving a huge trailer behind a souped-up lawn mower putting everyone on the roadways in danger.

I had a Dodge Ram 3500 Turbo Diesel Dualie to pull my older -- and larger -- RV in the past. Big truck, lots of masculinity and definitely put those Land Rover elites in their place. Ruled the road in complete control.

The problem is... having that giant truck sucked. I'd get to a location, disconnect the trailer, and then had this monster that was just awful to drive around and enjoy the surrounding towns and sites. Parking was always a problem and we just got sick of how bad it was to have such a monster truck as the vehicle we had to use to explore.

So, I went a different route. Did some research and worked WITH the SERVICE MANAGER to figure out how this would all work. Didn't deal with the salesman -- because I didn't want "yes" -- I wanted a professional, well-thought-out opinion on how --and what -- I could get as an alternative to using my 3500. Unlike some have implied... I didn't walk in there and demand they make this all work. I didn't do the Land Rover elite pose and stand back and watch as they succumbed to my irrational desires.

It was a collaborative process where the final solution had to be something that worked. And I could have gotten other RVs... it was all a puzzle that we put together to get a good solution. I relied on their expertise because -- like many people -- I get help when I'm not sure of the details. I don't repair my HVAC system that no longer works correctly -- I call the professional who work with these systems to resolve it.

If relying on the dealership to properly equip the towing setup makes me an idiot -- then I'm guilty.

I just spent 3 days driving from Boston to Florida with that crappy scrappy Land Rover (and the new hitch). Had wind, rain, lots of traffic in NYC and DC, sudden stops and tight spaces. Drove 75mph and passed cars, trucks and other vehicles. Went up hills and down them. Despite the extensive concerns expressed here, I didn't leave a trail of carnage. The new hitch remains perfectly straight and perfect. And we all survived (although there was a really low bridge I was positive was going to rip off the AC condenser -- it didn't). Didn't even white knuckle it.

While everything about my unholy setup violates every sacrosanct rule of towing an RV... I'm actually pretty happy with it. And amazed at how well all the pieces work together. Campers Inn was wrong and should never, ever, have configured, installed and sold me that tinker toy hitch. It was bent because it was woefully inadequate for the task. It was cracked because it was terrible and inappropriate for the use scenario. I'm going to stick to being very, very, angry with Campers Inn about this. And have them pay for the replacement (or reimburse me the amount I originally paid).

As a side note... I had them winterize the RV for me. When I hooked up water, it sprayed everywhere in the water heater area. Seems they "forgot" that the 2600RB has a hose to an external port right near the water heater -- and didn't bother to drain that line -- so it burst. I know, I know... totally my fault for not checking work I paid them to do -- as is my responsibility, apparently.

I'll get a photo of the new setup tomorrow.
    JohnnyT
    2022 Imagine 2600RB
    2018 Land Rover Discovery (people are amazed it can tow -- it does a great job!)
    Security System: Lincoln & Brian

I've been all over, but
    will limit my map to where I've RV'd

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast