User Tag List

View Poll Results: How angry should I be?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Settle down, it's nothing!

3 7.89%
  • That's not very good!

7 18.42%
  • Whoa... that is really wrong

4 10.53%
  • Angry. Very Angry.

7 18.42%
  • Livid. That was extremely dangerous!

17 44.74%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy How Angry Should I Be?

Hello, all... I could use some group feedback...

The short version: the dealership sold me, configured and installed a hitch when I bought my 2600RB. I just found out the hitch is rated for 3500lbs and is therefore woefully undersized. How angry should I be?

The long version: I bought my 2600RB brand new last summer from Campers Inn in Raynham, MA. I've already reviewed them elsewhere for other matters... and I have nothing but disdain for them. During the sale, we discussed that I was pulling this with my Land Rover which has built-in load leveling and therefore should not have a load-leveling hitch. We would need an anti sway device, however. They "researched" and decided what I needed and told me that they have to deal with this issue on other sales and the single-sided anti-sway was old skool, but worked. I am somewhat new to all of this and trusted them. On the day of delivery, the tech was there drilling holes for the sway bar and sizing the hitch for the height of vehicle and trailer. We discussed how it was important to remove the anti sway during tight turning maneuvers (ie backing in, etc). All checked out OK, and I was off.

After the first trip, I noticed the hitch was bent about 5 degrees to one side. Took a picture and sent to the service manager, Joe. Sent it many times, and to salesman. No one ever responded. Fast forward a few months to the fall, and the hitch is now bent about 30 degree off of straight. Left the RV and hitch with them for winterizing and other minor issues. After 6 weeks, they had winterized it, and done nothing else. Finally they told me all of the problems were my fault and the hitch was bent because I was driving it wrong. (note that even the awning fabric that had a mfr defect in a patch was apparently my fault, as well as the drawer falling apart and another drawer falling off the rails -- all my fault).

Well, now I'm headed out on a 3 week trip and found a local traveling repair service. I wanted the hitch fixed pronto before heading out. The day before the service guy (Ryan, from TRIC -- great service) came out -- I looked at the misshapen hitch and started to notice some things. It was installed upside down. It was cracked. And it was stamped with a max towing weight of 3500lbs. Ryan, the service guy came out -- and before I could tell him any of that, he looked at the hitch and declared it was way too small. I've since replaced the hitch.

So, not only did they configure, sell and install the wrong hitch, upside down, but the service tech who looked at this badly bent hitch determined it was my fault.

How angry should I be? I feel like they put the lives of my family and everyone else on the road with us in jeopardy. I've since written to them twice for an explanation -- no response. Is there some hitch math that I don't know about and I am just getting angry over nothing? Thoughts?
    JohnnyT
    2022 Imagine 2600RB
    2018 Land Rover Discovery (people are amazed it can tow -- it does a great job!)
    Security System: Lincoln & Brian

I've been all over, but
    will limit my map to where I've RV'd

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Angry Should I Be?

When you say hitch are you just talking about a “ball platform”??!?
    They come in different drops and rises and there isn’t a right side up
    Imo the dealer likely did the best they could with the inadequate tow vehicle for such a large trailer

Good luck

Edit. Btw what hitch do you have now?
    Pics?
    Last edited by NB Canada; 02-17-2023 at 04:43 PM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would document everything that happened in great detail, including the comments and thoughts of Ryan and then demand to talk to the service manager at the dealership. I would also tell him your concerns about the dangerous situation that THEY caused and that you be completely reimbursed for the nightmare installation of the improper equipment. If they do not agree and still try to give you the runaround with it, I would likely seek the advice of a competent attorney and see if something like that could be run through the legal system....maybe even small claims court....depending on the monetary limits of the court. I would not mention a lawyer in your meeting with the service manager, save that option for after you talk to an attorney. I have zero experience with something like what happened to you, but I do wish you well and hopefully some type of compensation can be peacefully worked out.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yikes. First, I suspect that the “load leveling” in the tow vehicle is not the same as “weight distribution”. I would recommend a weight distribution hitch. These hitches put some of the load back in the front axle which is critical for stability / safety.

Second thought is the payload capacity of your tow vehicle. If you have not done the calculation, take a look at the payload sticker on the door frame vs how much weight you are putting on the vehicle. Tongue weight is likely a bit over 600 pounds. Then you add gear and passengers to that. Something to double check.

Third. I suspect a lawyer would have to get involved on your side to get any resolution with the dealer. May not be worth it.

Just initial thoughts from a non professional.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    When you say hitch are you just talking about a “ball platform”??!?
    They come in different drops and rises and there isn’t a right side up
    Imo the dealer likely did the best they could with the inadequate tow vehicle for such a large trailer

Good luck

Edit. Btw what hitch do you have now?
    Pics?
    Where and how did you determine that his Land Rover was inadequate, without even knowing what the tow capacity ratings are? Seems a bit premature!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you can use a weight distribution hitch with an auto level vehicle. Either turn off the auto level, or let it auto level and then setup the hitch properly. Not sure what the dealer did for you, pics would be helpful. In all reality, you're responsible for what you tow down the road, you should be verifying everything before you leave the dealer. I'm sure the hitch had an owners manual, looking through it could have helped determine if it was installed correctly. You might want to look at all the paperwork you signed and see if it says anything about dealership liability regarding hitches or connecting the trailer. It's understandable to be angry with dealer, but they aren't fully at fault in my opinion (but they heavily contributed).
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Where and how did you determine that his Land Rover was inadequate, without even knowing what the tow capacity ratings are? Seems a bit premature!
    Because imo a 2600rb is into 3/4 ton land
    And without an ability to use weight distribution because of the tow vehicle my opinion is it is inadequate
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Specs online show a rating with weight distribution and a rating without
    The rating without a weight distribution hitch is max 500 tongue and max 5000 lb trailer
    Are these correct? Or do you have different numbers

A 2600rb is way over those numbers
    As said above it is your responsibility when you hit the road to be safe
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, just the piece of metal that goes into your hitch receiver that has a ball on it.
    Seriously? My "inadequate tow vehicle"? It's rated to tow 8400 lbs and the rig weighs 7000lbs. It seems more than adequate to me.
    JohnnyT
    2022 Imagine 2600RB
    2018 Land Rover Discovery (people are amazed it can tow -- it does a great job!)

I've been all over, but

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks --- my mistake -- it does the weight distribution -- and the mfr specifically suggests not adding that because the two systems would fight. Not sure why I keep saying "load leveling" -- wrong term.
    JohnnyT
    2022 Imagine 2600RB

I've been all over, but

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast