User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twinwashbrewing View Post
    I did not see where any one asked what the stages of charge from your on board converter are? You could be on 1000 amp service and it will only charge what the output of the converter is. I had an older converter that just charged at 1amp hour. I suggest upgrading your converter to one that has several stages. It can sense the need on the battery and will hit it with more amps and then move into a float/maintain stage.
    The charger can’t change the current being supplied to the battery without changing the voltage. The idea that chargers have stages is marketing BS. Stages are ways of describing the battery charging process, but have nothing to do with the charger and really have little significance. A charger is nothing more than a DC power supply that monitors current. Current is determined by output voltage and battery state of charge. The charger doesn’t change the current.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Derekm View Post
    ... Note that I was by an Autozone today and just for the heck of it I had the batteries tested again (3rd time in 2 weeks) and once again they told me that the batteries were in good shape...

Derek
    The fast battery check that has been done numerous times does not do a proper job of deterring battery condition. It may do fine when checking a standard auto battery.

It likely gives some indication of some issues, but I would not trust it to say battery is OK or not. Properly testing deep cycle LA or lithium batteries takes a many hours of testing time. You can run a search on how to test deep cycle batteries but few people are willing to spend the time, money and effort to do it.

Previously mentioned battery monitor is a great step in understanding what is going on and to have a much better idea here on out, how much energy goes in, comes out and the state of battery charge. This should be done before investing in different batteries, if for no other reason to better determine the battery capacity needed.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Derekm View Post
    ... As a quick update I put the external charger on last night to see what condition it thought the battery was in and it read 70%....
    What brand and model battery charger are you using? Knowing this may help to understand what you are seeing from the charger.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    The charger can’t change the current being supplied to the battery without changing the voltage. The idea that chargers have stages is marketing BS. Stages are ways of describing the battery charging process, but have nothing to do with the charger and really have little significance. A charger is nothing more than a DC power supply that monitors current. Current is determined by output voltage and battery state of charge. The charger doesn’t change the current.
    That is exactly what the charger does, it changes voltages based on the current battery voltage. This is from Progressive Dynamics PD9245C charger:

14.4 Volts (Boost Mode) – Returned the battery to 90% of full charge in approximately 8 hours. The battery reached full charge in approximately 11 hours.
    13.6 Volts (Normal Mode) – Required 40 hours to return the battery to 90% of full charge and 78 hours to reach full charge.
    13.2 Volts (Storage Mode) – Required 60 hours to return the battery to 90% of full charge and 100 hours to reach full charge.
    The integrated Charge Wizards ability to change the output voltage of the converter will significantly reduce the
    amount of time it takes to recharge your RV battery. The lower voltage for Storage Mode prevents gassing and
    reduces water loss during long-term storage
    2016 29RS
    2008 2500 Chevy Duramax Diesel CC LTZ
    Prev 5er 2010 Outback 321FRL
    1994 Chevy 6.5TD 2500 ext Cab
    25ft Coachman Catalina TT
    Skamper Pop UP
    Various tents
    ALL great memories:D

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lfytsmith View Post
    That is exactly what the charger does, it changes voltages based on the current battery voltage. This is from Progressive Dynamics PD9245C charger:

14.4 Volts (Boost Mode) – Returned the battery to 90% of full charge in approximately 8 hours. The battery reached full charge in approximately 11 hours.
    13.6 Volts (Normal Mode) – Required 40 hours to return the battery to 90% of full charge and 78 hours to reach full charge.
    13.2 Volts (Storage Mode) – Required 60 hours to return the battery to 90% of full charge and 100 hours to reach full charge.
    The integrated Charge Wizards ability to change the output voltage of the converter will significantly reduce the
    amount of time it takes to recharge your RV battery. The lower voltage for Storage Mode prevents gassing and
    reduces water loss during long-term storage
    You are close, but not correct.

The charger changes voltage based on the current the battery is drawing, not the voltage on the battery. The voltage on the battery during charging is the charger output voltage so if the charger responded to that it would be constantly changing.

But the charger does not ever change the current, except by changing the voltage.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    You are close, but not correct.

The charger changes voltage based on the current the battery is drawing, not the voltage on the battery. The voltage on the battery during charging is the charger output voltage so if the charger responded to that it would be constantly changing.

But the charger does not ever change the current, except by changing the voltage.
    I hate to hijack this person's thread, but ohms law E=IxR, so if R is constant and E is increased, E/R=I , then I is? I hope that will help someone out there.
    2016 29RS
    2008 2500 Chevy Duramax Diesel CC LTZ
    Prev 5er 2010 Outback 321FRL
    1994 Chevy 6.5TD 2500 ext Cab
    25ft Coachman Catalina TT
    Skamper Pop UP
    Various tents
    ALL great memories:D

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lfytsmith View Post
    I hate to hijack this person's thread, but ohms law E=IxR, so if R is constant and E is increased, E/R=I , then I is? I hope that will help someone out there.
    The R in this case changes during the charging process, but the idea is similar.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123