User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I wouldn't use that spare tire until the problem with "lug nuts had difficulty snugging up to" was investigated and resolved. Maybe it isn't a trailer wheel and uses flat lug nuts. Definitely something to check out.
    Thanks, @Hoopy Frood The problem was with the rim. The lug nuts were beveled on the inside and fit nicely in the original rim. With the spare rim the bevel was clearly visible when tightened down. So they did not quite fit into the rim. Torqued to 120 Ft# and retorqued after a few miles. I think flat lug nuts would have been a better fit for the spare's rim.
    Bob & Maddy + Zoey
    2022 Solitude 2930RL-R, 900Ah Li, 1520W solar
    2022 Ram 3500 Limited, 8' bed, 6.7 Cummins HO Turbo, 6-speed Aisin transmission

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the expanded answer. Personally, I wouldn't use that rim for anything. It sounds like it isn't actually a trailer wheel. Those would be a standard lug pattern and you wouldn't notice any of the bevel visible. Since these wheels center themselves using the lug nuts, and not the center ring on the hub, a flat lug nut is not a good idea as the wheel would stand a good chance of not being centered on the hub, leading to problems. That's my thoughts.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddyBob View Post
    Thanks, @Hoopy Frood The problem was with the rim. The lug nuts were beveled on the inside and fit nicely in the original rim. With the spare rim the bevel was clearly visible when tightened down. So they did not quite fit into the rim. Torqued to 120 Ft# and retorqued after a few miles. I think flat lug nuts would have been a better fit for the spare's rim.
    In think that is due to the spare being a hub centric rim vs the original rim being a lug centric. Definitely replace the spare rim with the correct style (which I am sure you already have done).

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't use that rim for anything. It sounds like it isn't actually a trailer wheel. Those would be a standard lug pattern and you wouldn't notice any of the bevel visible.
    Thanks, I fully agree with you. It looks like a very inexpensive rim and is designed only for short-term use.
    Bob & Maddy + Zoey

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Bill! Yes, the plan is to replace the rim before we take our rig out again. Bob
    Bob & Maddy + Zoey

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your primary wheels are aluminum and use a conical (acorn) seat lugnut. All spares are mounted on painted steel wheels. They use the same lugnut but you will see some of the cone because there's no deeply machined seat on the steel wheel. When used by themselves, steel wheels get an open ended acorn lugnut with shallower cone but it's the same angle.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob! Good to know, I was not aware of that. Bob
    Bob & Maddy + Zoey

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Bill! Yes, the plan is to replace the rim before we take our rig out again. Bob
    @MaddyBob -

Here are a few forum tips:

1) If you use "Reply With Quote" (to the right of "Reply") as I have here, folks will know to whom you are responding and that person will get a notification.

2) You can also tag folks using the "@" symbol and their user name (as I have done yours) - they'll also get a notification that way.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You didn't say which engine you have in your RAM, but if it has the Aisin tranny, there is a TSB for the '22. Bad snap ring in the clutch, and when it fails, you get all the MIL's you are talking about, and most likely a new tranny.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
    You didn't say which engine you have in your RAM, but if it has the Aisin tranny, there is a TSB for the '22. Bad snap ring in the clutch, and when it fails, you get all the MIL's you are talking about, and most likely a new tranny.
    @Wileyk

It is an Aisin tranny.
    Bob & Maddy + Zoey

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast