User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a set of Motorola t200 Talkabout radios (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DM7AF5C). Simple, cheap, and sounds fairly decent.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a pair of Midland $100 set and use them always. Prefer that to the cell phone or talking loud. Also, has been great when we're in separate vehicles following one another. Prefer that mode to calling on cell phone every time someone wants to say something. I find these less annoying than cell phone for some reason.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there is no cell phone coverage, I roll down all windows and use the YELL method. Very effective and we don't have to worry about batteries or recharging. It also provides short term entertainment for near by campers.
    Highly agree with Ynot4me2 on "GOAL" and using the rear camera.
    Tim & Lori
    2016 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7L Platinum/60 gal Titan tank
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Haloview MC7108 rear and side cameras
    TST 507 4 Sensor Tire Monitoring System with Color Display

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smullinax View Post
    Not sure where this topic should go, but ......I'm thinking of buying a pair of simple 2 way radios for use on moving days.
    Looking for :
    simple function (or the wife won't fool with it)
    Good quality

Thanks for any advice.
    Best way is hand signals that are understood by both parties and always staying in view of your mirrors. Gmsr walkies are good, cause sometimes there is no reliable cell service. But as someone mentioned, a dead battery while moving may lead to a stop warning not heard.
    Alan and Paula
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS, 2004 Dodge 3500 5.9L
    Magnum 2k watt inverter-charger, 300 AH Battle Born battery bank, 560 watt solar power. 6K axles and disc brakes. Pepwave max transit cellular router.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A pair of FRS (Family Radio Service) transceivers should suffice. Most are inexpensive and simple to operate; some will operate a long time on a battery charge. Range is usually a mile or so, depending upon terrain and obstructions. Unlike CB which uses AM, the FRS (and GMRS... General Mobile Radio Service) use FM, so communications are quite clear and natural. There is no license required for FRS, but a license (valid for ten years) is required for GMRS, which also allows higher transmitter power. With the higher transmitter power comes a somewhat greater battery drain when using that higher power level.

Then, if you want to have some fun at the same time, go for the Amateur Radio license and use radios for that service, be they handheld, mobile, or fixed station configurations. Range is far greater, and there are plenty of repeaters available as well. My wife and I (both licensed) also use our radios when traveling to communicate with another couple in their tow vehicle when traveling. We can be several miles apart (farther if using a repeater) and still communicate with ease and clarity.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about just using your cellphones?
    2018 Ram 3500 with AS69RC Aisin transmission and Companion RVK3670 sliding hitch
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 310GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use a pair of Midland 50 channel Waterproof GMRS two way radios--model GXT1000VP4--available on Amazon for $80. Comes with a rechargeable battery or uses 4 AA batteries too. We chose to use 4 AA batteries and change the batteries at the beginning of each camping season.
    Les & Nel
    2019 Reflection 315 RLTS w/Dual Pane Windows; 2nd AC
    -- 7K Axles; 3500 lb Springs; MORRyde SRE-4000; Roadmaster Comfort Ride Shocks
    -- 400 Ah BB Lithium; 1590 watts solar; MultiPlus-II Inverter; Renogy 40A DC DC Charger

2016 RAM 2500 CC SB 4x4 Diesel
    -- Blue Ox SwayPro 20k/2k hitch; Timbren Rear Bump Stops

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jcschultz01 View Post
    How about just using your cellphones?
    Sometimes, the signal is weak or none existing. Sometimes, there's a lag.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While we use cell phones most of the time, we also use radios when there is no signal. Our first radios were cheap with only a few channels and found that we could not find a clear channel. Many parents also use radios to stay in contact with the kids, so there was no way we could communicate over them. We now carry Midlands T51, very versatile and rechargeable. https://www.amazon.com/Midland-T51X3...00SLHM2TG?th=1
    2016 29RS
    2008 2500 Chevy Duramax Diesel CC LTZ
    Prev 5er 2010 Outback 321FRL
    1994 Chevy 6.5TD 2500 ext Cab
    25ft Coachman Catalina TT
    Skamper Pop UP
    Various tents
    ALL great memories:D

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay! Thanks for all the input, it's all valuable.
    Hand signals are out, as my wife tends to stand where I can't see her. And she has been known to point the wrong way. Great lady, we've been married 40+ years, but everyone has at least one shortcoming!
    Cell phones can have coverage issues, and tend to have them at inopportune times.
    The GOAL method is probably best and worked for us for 2 1/2 years (other than that one picnic table at Lost Dutchman SP....oops)
    I'll check into all the radio options and order a set.
    Thanks again.
    2022 Solitude 378-MBS-R, 8k axles and disc brake package, slide toppers, dual panes, 5.5kw Onan, W/D, 3rd AC/heat pump
    2023 F350 Lariat DRW on order, (canceled)
    2023 Chevy 3500 LTZ long bed Duramax, 12250 GVWR, 3867 cargo cap, Z71, 5th wheel prep

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast