User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whats a good two way radio for RV use?

Not sure where this topic should go, but ......I'm thinking of buying a pair of simple 2 way radios for use on moving days.
    Looking for :
    simple function (or the wife won't fool with it)
    Good quality

Thanks for any advice.
    2022 Solitude 378-MBS-R, 8k axles and disc brake package, slide toppers, dual panes, 5.5kw Onan, W/D, 3rd AC/heat pump
    2023 F350 Lariat DRW on order, (canceled)
    2023 Chevy 3500 LTZ long bed Duramax, 12250 GVWR, 3867 cargo cap, Z71, 5th wheel prep

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smullinax View Post
    Not sure where this topic should go, but ......I'm thinking of buying a pair of simple 2 way radios for use on moving days.
    Looking for :
    simple function (or the wife won't fool with it)
    Good quality
    We use Samcom, admittedly overkill but they work well. You can also get them in sets of 2. I think a Motorola Talkabout might also work well. If there is cell service that could also be an option. We frequently use that, easier than a radio.
    Bob & Maddy + Zoey
    2022 Solitude 2930RL-R, 900Ah Li, 1520W solar
    2022 Ram 3500 Limited, 8' bed, 6.7 Cummins HO Turbo, 6-speed Aisin transmission

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we have to communicate while a part when moving, setting up, or breaking down we just use our cell phone. We camp in cell coverage areas for work related reasons.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use Motorola Talkabout radios, I forget which model, they are about 5 years old. Works great though, more importantly have a good communication plan. I tell my wife where I'd like the camper to end up and then she will either say straight, driver or passenger for which way the camper tail needs to go. Obviously she will say stop if there is a problem. I don't talk at all unless I'm stopped and have a question. She will constantly be saying something and if I don't hear her, I stop. Prior to this method, she was telling me to stop on the radio, but I didn't know my battery died; she figured I was just ignoring her and I ended up running over something (luckily not a person or anything important).
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use cell phones in areas we have coverage, if not, I have a pair of Midland GMRS radios that I bought for about $50.00 as a backup.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We (rarely) use a pair of Harbor Freight specials. If just used for backing, etc. nothing high end needed, especially with range being so little. Communicating between cars on the road, hiking, etc. needs something better. But in camp, cheap is good, and we don't care about loss, damage, etc. Hardest part is getting them out and replacing the dead batteries when needed.
    The other camper has a bit of a challenge with the "push to talk" aspect, forgetting to especially when things get "interesting".
    99.9% of the time, she calls me on her cell, and I answer via the truck's hands free system. Clarity and volume is far superior to holding the phone and leaves me free to worry about mirrors, steering wheels, etc.
    The other big change in reducing anger/frustration on either part - referring to sides of the vehicles as "my side/your side" or "driver/passenger" "Right/Left" just doesn't cut it, especially if one is facing slightly opposite from the other.....
    Finally - having her focus on only the rear bumper of the trailer, and tell me "move it to driver side, or move it to passenger side"
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    The other camper has a bit of a challenge with the "push to talk" aspect, forgetting to especially when things get "interesting".
    I can relate.....and don't even have the radios yet!
    2022 Solitude 378-MBS-R, 8k axles and disc brake package, slide toppers, dual panes, 5.5kw Onan, W/D, 3rd AC/heat pump
    2023 F350 Lariat DRW on order, (canceled)
    2023 Chevy 3500 LTZ long bed Duramax, 12250 GVWR, 3867 cargo cap, Z71, 5th wheel prep

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dearly love my "other camper"... but sometimes has challenges when it comes to directions or backing themselves. So I typically do a physical inspection if a more "exact" position is needed. However, they are HAWK when it comes to ensuring we follow our disconnect/hitch/site inspection/driving/safety checklists!

That in and of itself makes for the best "other camper" in the world to me! And thats just a very tiny portion of greatness she is...
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What works for some might not work for others. We tried the 2 way hand held radio but often forgot to charge them and for the driver, its not hands free and also like mentioned above, you dont know when they die. Using the cell (if coverage), we found there's a little lag.
    What we will do is GOAL. Get Out And Look and talk about the game plan. Don't forget to look up. She'll keep an eye on my blind spot, dead angle. If I dont see her I stop. She now knows that if I'm not moving its because I dont see her. I also rely on the backup camera. Now with the HaloView 7" screen helps a lot. It also has the mic built in but I stop using that. Take your time. It's not worth getting mad. Lawyers and divorce are real expensive. LOL I have to admit though that we are getting much better (what she says) with our hand signals. Na, I'm still trying to figure what langage that is. The only signal that I can recognize is both hands waving for stop and when she tells me that I'm #1 (she uses the middle finger as its longer because of the long distance between us so that I can see it better).
    Serious, find what works for you (radio, cell, camera) but remember GOAL, safety and take your time. And dont feel rush by others, they wont help cover the damage.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've tried all of the above. With the Foretravel it was often pretty obvious where I should go and how I should get there. I still had Jo Ann outside with a radio. She has a tendency to hold the PTT button and keep talking, so if I needed to talk to her I either just stopped and waited or stopped and got out.

We've only moved the Reflection from the dealer's lot to a local campground with a pull-thru spot and then here to The Ranch (back-in spot). We have two pairs of radios (don't ask why) and the night before we travel I make sure that one pair is plugged in so that it is fully charged the next day.

We've been in too many places where cell phone service was poor or non-existent, so the radios work well for us.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast