User Tag List

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AC stops running randomly and frequently

I've searched the forum before and thought I saw a discussion was about this problem, but now I can't seem to find it.

Our AC just seems to shut itself off randomly. No error, no as anything. Just stops. Fan is set to LOW, so, even if the compressor isn't needed, the fan should run. But it doesn't.

Demand isn't met, but it just stops. This has happened since buying it last summer. Talked with Grand Design and they sent a new thermostat. It didn't fix anything.

I can set the thermostat to 58, for example and it will run for 5 minutes to 8 hours, then stop. Just random amount of time. In order to get it to run again, I have to set the thermostat to OFF for 30 seconds, then turn it back on. And the cycle continues.

I may get 5 minutes of run time, or 8 hours, or anywhere in between. Makes no sense... Especially since this has been a day 1 issue. I've cleaned the air filter screen. Any thoughts?
    JohnnyT
    2022 Imagine 2600RB
    2018 Land Rover Discovery (people are amazed it can tow -- it does a great job!)
    Security System: Lincoln & Brian

I've been all over, but
    will limit my map to where I've RV'd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same issue. I replaced the thermostat and it only helped for a little bit. It ended up being a wiring issue, and a mobile repair tech redid some of the wiring between the ac and the thermostat. I am not sure what all they did, but it only took them a couple hours.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Running with the fan on low is likely to lead to freeze-ups. That doesn’t sound like what’s happening, but you might switch it to high and see.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have had an opportunity to do some more testing and wondering what others think... the system quits operating when the temperature outside is in the upper 60s. If the temperature outside is 70 or higher, it seems to work fine, as far as we've tested.

So... if I set the thermostat at 70 when the temp outside is in the upper 60s, things seem fine. If I set the thermostat at 68 in the same conditions, the system will randomly shut off... compressor and blower. I cannot get it turn back on unless I set the system to OFF, wait a few minutes, and then switch back to Cooling. And the random shutdown will occur at some point again.

So it seems like the system can't do cooling at that temperature outside. Wouldn't expect it to just shut off, but maybe that is what it does. And we can certainly live with that.

And, yeah -- like to sleep when it's really cold. Don't judge!

Looks, so far, like everything works fine when it's warmer outside... at least so far!
    JohnnyT
    2022 Imagine 2600RB
    2018 Land Rover Discovery (people are amazed it can tow -- it does a great job!)
    Security System: Lincoln & Brian

I've been all over, but
    will limit my map to where I've RV'd

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyT View Post
    Have had an opportunity to do some more testing and wondering what others think... the system quits operating when the temperature outside is in the upper 60s. If the temperature outside is 70 or higher, it seems to work fine, as far as we've tested.

So... if I set the thermostat at 70 when the temp outside is in the upper 60s, things seem fine. If I set the thermostat at 68 in the same conditions, the system will randomly shut off... compressor and blower. I cannot get it turn back on unless I set the system to OFF, wait a few minutes, and then switch back to Cooling. And the random shutdown will occur at some point again.

So it seems like the system can't do cooling at that temperature outside. Wouldn't expect it to just shut off, but maybe that is what it does. And we can certainly live with that.

And, yeah -- like to sleep when it's really cold. Don't judge!

Looks, so far, like everything works fine when it's warmer outside... at least so far!
    My Bet is it is freezing up. Talk to the dealer were you bought it, unless you burned that bridge with your hitch issue.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found that running the fan on continuous, not auto, may prevent unit from freezing. Let the compressor cycle, not the fan.
    2020 Reflection 273MK