User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a delay in full trailer brake application on my RAM and the proportional controller applies the amount of trailer braking (I have discs on the trailer) based upon the pedal pressure after a slight delay. Took me a long time to figure out what was happening and I dialed the controller up to 8 which promptly caused at least one of the trailer wheels to lock up on braking. BLUF - I never set the controller for that trailer correctly in RAM settings. Once I went through the RAM trailer brake setup and set it to heavy EOH, I was able to dial back the controller to about 5.5. Braking improved and after some use and I also have adjusted my pedal action when coming off the interstate to eliminate the delay by depressing brake a little and a bit earlier. I have a Hydrastar actuator on the RV.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would bet it's the new trailer if it worked with the older trailer.
    FWIW my TT is just okay with my 19 Ram 3500. I recently towed my sons TT which is even older than my TT and I had to lower the gain from 7.0 down to 4.0 because his TT brakes are that much better. His has very little miles on it and mine has over 15,000 on them. (New brakes coming this spring for me)
    One thing about Ram TBC's is they seem to be weak in town but under a hard stop they will lock up. Since yours is good in town but poor at hwy speeds I would say it's the trailer brakes. It's not uncommon to have blown seals with the EZ-Lube spindles that are being used. Who knows who filled them. Also how far was your 5er pulled from the factory to the dealer? That could've burnished the brakes in or not.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update as FYI.

Brought the rig back to the dealer and had a chance to talk to a very seasoned tech person. They are going to look at the rig braking but he said there is a better than even chance that the problem is with my RAM truck computer not sending voltage properly. I told he it worked fine with my Jayco and he said that doesn’t convince him that the programming is correct, only that the program worked for how the Jayco was set up. This is definitely a bigger unit. I asked about burnishing the brakes and he said with the units shipped across the country it is non-existent problem. He said they are self adjusting and asked if I tried the reverse braking option. He said they will ensure wiring and braking are all correct and I will get the truck put on a computer and re-flashed for the braking system. He said it always works out, just a trick to find out where the problem is. He also said he use to see the problem more frequently with Chevy but now RAM is the more common problem. Talked to the folks at RAM and they will re-program the truck in a week. Interesting.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you go to the dealer with the truck, I would ask them to test the trailer braking system first and see what the computer says. Would be interesting if it said it was working correctly or not. After that, I would get a reflash to get the latest update, if any, and if there is a problem, to fix it.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12