User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MORryde IS - Underbelly cut side to side?

I was just talking to a friend that had the IS put on his Momentum at the same time I had mine done. On his way to his destination, he noticed that his underbelly was hanging down and tape is streaming behind the RV. Evidently, MORryde cut his underbelly from side to side. Since he could see into the underbelly, he also noticed that when the IS was installed, they folded back his insulation but never put it back.

When I picked up my Momentum from MORryde, I did not look at the underbelly so I do not know if mine was also cut side to side. In my case, I only drove a few miles to drop off the RV at the GDRV Service Center.

I am concerned that if they cut mine from side to side the tape will fail just like his and so many others that had their underbellies taped back together.

Has anyone had a good experience with taping the underbelly that was cut side to side?

BTW: It seems that MORryde has gotten so busy that they are taking shortcuts. It would not have taken that long to drop the underbelly and then put it back up! Considering what I paid for the IS, they could have taken the extra step to not subject my rig to what could turn into a long-term problem.

Just saying...

-B
    Fulltime RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon JKU - Harley FLTRU
    2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS
    Also considering a Polaris General XP 1000 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cut mine side to side to install a dryer vent through the floor. I used aluminum L material 2x2 and installed it above the frame rails, then I used 1/8" aluminum flat stock to sandwhich the cut coroplast and screwed the 2 pieces of aluminum together. I did this on both sides of the cut, and screwed the 2 L pieces together for more stability. I used black caulking afterwards to fill any leftover gap between the cut. Pictures are before the caulking. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230121_102334.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	45005Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230121_110214.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	45006
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I cut mine side to side to install a dryer vent through the floor. I used aluminum L material 2x2 and installed it above the frame rails, then I used 1/8" aluminum flat stock to sandwhich the cut coroplast and screwed the 2 pieces of aluminum together. I did this on both sides of the cut, and screwed the 2 L pieces together for more stability. I used black caulking afterwards to fill any leftover gap between the cut. Pictures are before the caulking.
    A perfect long-term fix.
    Thanks for sharing!!
    John
    Fulltime RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon JKU - Harley FLTRU
    2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS
    Also considering a Polaris General XP 1000 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post

BTW: It seems that MORryde has gotten so busy that they are taking shortcuts. It would not have taken that long to drop the underbelly and then put it back up! Considering what I paid for the IS, they could have taken the extra step to not subject my rig to what could turn into a long-term problem.

Just saying...

-B
    Yes! The huge spike in pandemic RV ownership has overwhelmed the industry, and MORryde will continue to lag behind the slowdown. I have been out to see them a few times in the past 3 years, and last Fall observed 3 coaches getting IFS where the underbelly was cut. I thought it strange as I never saw that on prior trips and everyone we knew with IFS did not have it cut. When I asked Ryan, he said it was for safety of the coach and the team with welding, and that they had too many instances of inadvertent melting of wiring and such and would put all back and mend the coroplast. That said to me too busy to spend the time to be careful/using less experienced installation folks.

If mending is only tape, I think your friend better turnaround and make them institute a proper repair and take the complaint upstairs because I bet they don't know it's going on because of how the install works versus the rest of the business. Just needs something for screws with washers to clamp on and remove flex for the tape to stay put. Not putting the insulation back is just lazy and not at a level MORryde, as a company, wants to operate at.
    Last edited by geotex1; 02-22-2023 at 07:01 AM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fwiw.... My IS was done in October '22. The underbelly was not cut from side to side. It was cut in places along and parallel to the I-beams where necessary to weld. The tech did a really nice job of taping it back in place.

I was underneath yesterday for another reason and took a good look around while there and was impressed with the install. I did wonder, tho, where the old electric brake lines went as I had just left them dangling years ago then I installed disc brakes.

I'll add this - I see no good reason for cutting side to side as all welding is done only at the I-beams. I know different techs there do different quality work after comparing mine to a friends Montana welding job. And I know from being there that they work at different paces; that's probably based on their experience. So maybe same goes for experience welding and coroplast removal/replacement.
    Last edited by traveldawg; 02-22-2023 at 06:47 AM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They were doing 6 or 7 (all bays were full) when we were there.

If they would have offered to drop the belly vs cutting the belly, for an extra charge, i would have done that. It was never offered and they never said anything about cutting the belly.

-B

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    fwiw.... My IS was done in October '22. The underbelly was not cut from side to side. It was cut in places along and parallel to the I-beams where necessary to weld. The tech did a really nice job of taping it back in place
    This would have been better than a side to side cut.

-B

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
    This would have been better than a side to side cut.

-B
    I like what FT4now did. Sometimes I consider dropping the corroplast and wonder how I'd get it back up in place. So far I think he has the best idea.

Do you like the IS?
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've had two MORryde IS installations done - the first, on our Reflection 337RLS in September, 2016, and the second on our 2020 Solitude 310GK done in January, 2020, and coordinated by the GD factory prior to delivery. In both cases the Coroplast was only cut back around the subframe attachment points to clear the area(s) for welding. The repairs were done with some gun-applied material that's much harder and tougher than silicone... don't know what it is. The Reflection had nothing but the thin aluminized layer on top of the Coroplast, so not much insulation - but it was put back in place properly. Before the recent holidays, we had a tech out to remove what turned out to be a wet wipe from the black tank valve on the Solitude (a topic for another discussion ). All insulation was in place where it should have been. We've not had any issues with the underbellies on either rig. I realize that both of these installations were pre-pandemic (the Solitude just barely).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I like what FT4now did.

Do you like the IS?
    Agreed, his idea is the best I've seen.

We only drove the RV from MORryde to the GDRV Service Center, maybe 15 miles or so. But in that short time, I could tell a difference. I hardly noticed the railroad tracks when we went over them.

Also, I had them install stiffer spring so I can carry my gulf cart in the garage. The RV was pretty empty, because it was going in for Service. I expect an even better ride once the RV is loaded up for travel.

-B

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast