User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not used the RV system so know nothing about that, but I wasn't aware that it provided internet access.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Traveler View Post
    This is a significant change in policy. I just reviewed the Starlink policies. Portability is no longer available, but only in the United States. Apparently, it is available everywhere else in the world. Lucky us. Also, if you switch from residential to RV, you can’t go back - [COLOR="#0000FF"]....... Maybe RV parks will step up their game and provide Wi-fi that actually works. We are 0 for 6 at RV parks that “provide” wi-fi. (We are relatively new RVers). We can always get a good signal but there is never any data throughput. I suspected the park buys the equivalent of 1 residential or small business account and expects it to serve 100+ users.
    While staying at a CG in Columbia MO, the owners were having a fiber line installed to the WIFI service for the CG. He said that he should be able to provide streaming service to all his campers once complete. So I think some are considering uping the game already.

However, we have (and probably always will) use our android hotspot for our internet. The DW still works and has no problem using a work related VPN over our cell while camping. So yeah, cant see paying for another sat service anytime soon.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not impressed at all. My justification for the higher price was being able to take it camping.
    2003 Ford F250 6.0 CC 4wd SB
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    1999 Keystone Sprinter 27FWBHGL (SOLD)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, now Starlink is on par with "unlimited" cell plans through MVNOs like Unlimitedville and Nomad Internet. I figured it was going to happen sooner or later (I was hoping for later, much later).

I have three hotspots as well, as a backup to Starlink, Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T. All of them are limited so I'm not paying out the nose, but there have been a few RV parks, like the one we are staying at in Florida right now, that cell service for all three suck. I can't get better than 2 mbps down in any of them and I'm not going to drop another $600.00 for a cell booster just to back up Starlink.

I need Internet for my job, and between my wife's streaming and my work, we burn through right around 500 GB a month.

Oh well, gotta bite the bullet and pay the man, for now.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All, let's see how it plays out. Residential portability is still in the official terms of service. The fear is stemming from a revised FAQ on the website. No one I can find out if the beta group/now customers have been notified in any official way we are losing portability from our residential plan. If it becomes official, I think the impact will be one that gets Musk's attention pretty fast since his entire goal is to build revenue and not cause it to decrease. Interestingly, somehow I'm now in a reclassified cell of limited capacity, and I really want to know how that's possible. The cell is not much larger than my entire Township which is both classified historic and protected, meaning the population isn't changing much and I can assure you only a tiny fraction of residents have Starlink!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not an original beta tester but have a residential service plan. I no longer have the ability to turn on portability on the screen like I did before. That option is missing. I'm guessing if I take the dish with me I will not get any signal when I try to set it up in new location. For those of you that had it turned on when they removed that option maybe you still have it.
    Allen & Denise
    Ford F350 Lariat CC SRW SB 4x4 Diesel
    2018 Solitude 310GK R

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yobigal View Post
    I'm not an original beta tester but have a residential service plan. I no longer have the ability to turn on portability on the screen like I did before. That option is missing. I'm guessing if I take the dish with me I will not get any signal when I try to set it up in new location. For those of you that had it turned on when they removed that option maybe you still have it.
    After beta, I got a residential with portability. My account still shows it active as does the debug data. Right now Dishy is stationary on the RV, which is how I use it at home. If I get a chance in the next few days, I'll take Dishy down and set it up on the opposite side of the house, which is where the GPS shifts just enough to trigger portability to see what happens. If no longer working, Mr. Musk is going to have some serious 'splainin' to do.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RV Miles explained the new Starlink policy and pricing fairly quickly in this video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM_0FKK2b_s
    (Ordered 7/13/20) 2021 Solitude 310GK, FBP, DP, HP, Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes
    Built 9/9/20; To Paint 9/11/20 (5-6 weeks); Done Paint 10/1/20; MORryde axle upgrade 10/5/20; Done at MORryde and paid for 10/8/20; Arrived at Dealer 10/20/20; picked up 11/7/20

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I opened a support ticket and sent them the following;

"How do I turn on portability on my residential account. There is supposed to be a link on my accounts page according to the FAQ's but I cannot find it."

I'll play along until they admit they are violating the TOS.
    2003 Ford F250 6.0 CC 4wd SB
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    1999 Keystone Sprinter 27FWBHGL (SOLD)

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pengle View Post
    RV Miles explained the new Starlink policy and pricing fairly quickly in this video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM_0FKK2b_s
    Not really. He's just parroted what was issued via email and then the concern of uncertainty on portability that hit the chat boards. Unfortunately, like all YTers that become monetized, it is a rush to post first to get the view count to get the check at the end of the month. So, just like when "news" became a ratings game, reports become more gossip-like than Walter Cronkite "and that's the way it is..."

What is getting old about Starlink is the unbalanced burden on American customers. Nearly every other market in the world available to service has seen price reduction while we continue to escalate.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast