User Tag List

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question on Mounting Solar Panels on Reflection 303RLS Roof

I'm getting ready to augment my existing Furrion solar panel with other smaller 100w compact panels from Renogy. I was wondering if I need to be conscious on where the roof trusses are located and drive the mounting plate screws into the trusses or are people finding success with just driving the screws through the roof desking? These panels are smaller than some I've seen and only weight 14 lbs each. Thoughts?
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COGrandDes View Post
    I'm getting ready to augment my existing Furrion solar panel with other smaller 100w compact panels from Renogy. I was wondering if I need to be conscious on where the roof trusses are located and drive the mounting plate screws into the trusses or are people finding success with just driving the screws through the roof desking? These panels are smaller than some I've seen and only weight 14 lbs each. Thoughts?
    I assume you are using Renogy's "Z" brackets for mounting. These are the same brackets I used to mount my 305 Watt Residential panels. I first placed a strip of Eternabond under each mounting point and then two layers of Butyl tape and screwed right into the roof (I did not search out the trusses). I then covered the "Z" brackets with self leveling lap sealant.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    I assume you are using Renogy's "Z" brackets for mounting. These are the same brackets I used to mount my 305 Watt Residential panels. I first placed a strip of Eternabond under each mounting point and then two layers of Butyl tape and screwed right into the roof (I did not search out the trusses). I then covered the "Z" brackets with self leveling lap sealant.
    Yes I purchased those Z brackets for mounting the panels. I was going to follow the same process you outlined. I read somewhere that they recommended to mount in the trusses of the roof so I wanted to be sure. Seems a bit overkill since they are light and you are using the Butyl tape as well. Thanks!
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COGrandDes View Post
    Yes I purchased those Z brackets for mounting the panels. I was going to follow the same process you outlined. I read somewhere that they recommended to mount in the trusses of the roof so I wanted to be sure. Seems a bit overkill since they are light and you are using the Butyl tape as well. Thanks!
    Has nothing to do with the weight of the panel but the lift created by airflow moving under the panels while towing down the road. Anchoring to the OSB roof sheathing GD uses alone is a risky venture for your investment and the folks traveling behind you. It's no different for a residential roof where all manufacturers want secure connection to rafters/trusses. Anything wind can get under potentially becomes a sail. It's no challenge to find the trusses as the OSB is stapled with steel staples detectable with a common stud finder.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania