User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I was not able to by hand twist on the nuts and hand tighten them just in the air hardly at all."

Well, that would stand to reason since they should have been lock nuts and only should have gone on the bolt a couple threads. They're designed to require a wrench to thread on the bolt. 40 ft.lbs. should be more than enough, they only have to retain the bolts in place.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just a tip here. Be sure your new wet bolts take grease. I have seen posts where some new ones have been mis-drilled or are plugged from the manufacturer. Second when installing be sure the wet bolt grease hole is at the 3 or 9 oc position. Last be sure to remove the nut and not spin the knurled bolt - I whatched a U-Tub video where the guy used a big impact wrench on the knurled end and spun the whole bolt, and not just removed the nut.

I am in the process of replacing axles and installing a Moryde heavy duty shackle set that replaces everything (shackles, wet bolts and bronze bushings). I will be putting grease through every bolt before the install to check and clean the grease bore and will be marking the bolt head to show the position of the grease hole before installation.

To make the install easy I am getting a ball joint press tool to make getting things in and out easier, both the bolts and bushings. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...6SRZN4Q4&psc=1 It can be used for a lot of other projects too. Shop around as prices change.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Just a tip here. Be sure your new wet bolts take grease. I have seen posts where some new ones have been mis-drilled or are plugged from the manufacturer. Second when installing be sure the wet bolt grease hole is at the 3 or 9 oc position. Last be sure to remove the nut and not spin the knurled bolt - I whatched a U-Tub video where the guy used a big impact wrench on the knurled end and spun the whole bolt, and not just removed the nut.

I am in the process of replacing axles and installing a Moryde heavy duty shackle set that replaces everything (shackles, wet bolts and bronze bushings). I will be putting grease through every bolt before the install to check and clean the grease bore and will be marking the bolt head to show the position of the grease hole before installation.

To make the install easy I am getting a ball joint press tool to make getting things in and out easier, both the bolts and bushings. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...6SRZN4Q4&psc=1 It can be used for a lot of other projects too. Shop around as prices change.
    It is interesting you say the comment don’t ping the bolt that has the Spline side… MorRyde told me to spin my bolt to see if that would free up the hole to allow grease. I told them that defeats the purpose of the slides to “SPIN IT” while installed. I also told them I would not do that, and would instead replace the bolt and bushing since it was shot already.

I am in no way an expert nor a complete idiot. I am an engineer and have spent a long time doing math around sheer strength, and design stuff. The story at MorRyde keeps changing, so I have asked for a conf call with their engineering staff, GDRV and myself to discuss this whole setup. I dont mind doing the Maint work, but I can not be doing it every 2400 pounds. My adult kids live in Orlando, and I am in NC, we make an RV trip once a month at least, so I am packing on the miles. At this rate I will be doing bushing work ever other month, which is just not sustainable. MorRydes comment was no one else is complaining ….
    2023 Momentum 397TH w/Gen3 Goosebox
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 F-450 Limited PowerStroke

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, it's not a bad idea to have a reamer on hand to clean up the bushings after they're pressed in. I had some that were a bit snug and the reamer smoothed things out very well. There has to be some clearance between bolt and bushing.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    FWIW, it's not a bad idea to have a reamer on hand to clean up the bushings after they're pressed in. I had some that were a bit snug and the reamer smoothed things out very well. There has to be some clearance between bolt and bushing.
    yep yep agree with you

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @msutoad
    I think what they mean to say and did not tell you how, is to back the nut off to the end so you can drive or press the bolt out to free the splines, then rotate the bolt and reseat. - weight off the fitting of course. But of course with the weight off the fitting it should take grease. As an engineer I know the importance of having the splines being intact to prevent bolt rotation and possible failure.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    However, if I did it again, I would build a tube steel subframe with fabricated hangers, use 2" springs and 3/4" wet bolts, and the subframe would allow me to better triangulate my shocks. This way only because I can get parts anywhere in N. America versus losing the rubber on an IS, for instance...
    You are the guy I want designing the next trailer I purchase!!

Seriously, it's a shame we cannot get quality parts anymore without great cost and effort. Most folks on this forum are knowledgeable and capable of addressing the many issues of Grand Design trailers (other brands as well). I really enjoy threads like this one, but often wonder about the others out there that have no clue as to whats going on with that "thing" they are pulling behind them.
    Last edited by dryfly; 02-25-2023 at 10:30 AM.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @msutoad
    I think what they mean to say and did not tell you how, is to back the nut off to the end so you can drive or press the bolt out to free the splines, then rotate the bolt and reseat. - weight off the fitting of course. But of course with the weight off the fitting it should take grease. As an engineer I know the importance of having the splines being intact to prevent bolt rotation and possible failure.
    So I think you are right, about the get the bolt out, rotate, then re-press it as I agree the splines provide a function … However their exact words were “If there is a bolt that doesn’t take grease we would want to take the weight off the bolt and rotate it 90 degrees in one direction or the other. If the hole is facing at 6 o’clock, the weight of the trailer could be causing the bushing to form a seal and not let the grease out.”

OK, well the wet bolt worked for the first 3 times I greased it. I greased it when new and then every 600 miles. The splines should not allow the bolt to spin in the hole. I have checked and the splines are intact and the bolt does NOT spin, and I had grease pen marked the hole orientation, and know it is not at 6 o’clock. So they are grasping for straws and they are making zero sense here…. I just think they are not used to having someone present facts, pictures, and data in an unemotional way, and they cant throw parts at me and have it go away, cause they would need parts ever 2 months… So they are gonna be forced to come up with a real plan, and consider what that might look like.

I do love my rig, so I am not bent at the MFG, nor willing to even consider another MFG, GDRV has been really good to me. THis is just a hiccup in life I need to deal with and will keep you all posted next week after I get to talk to MorRyde personally and see what options might exist.

MY question to anyone that has Independent Suspension. Do you all have the same bolt attachments as we do with the Spring/MorRyde setup? I have never seen an IS before, so I wondered what those looked like. Maybe Rob can snap a few pics of his since I think he has IS on his rig.

Thanks in advance

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    "I was not able to by hand twist on the nuts and hand tighten them just in the air hardly at all."

Well, that would stand to reason since they should have been lock nuts and only should have gone on the bolt a couple threads. They're designed to require a wrench to thread on the bolt. 40 ft.lbs. should be more than enough, they only have to retain the bolts in place.
    If I recall, they aren't nylon insert lock nuts, they are deformed lock nuts, so the female portion of the nut isn't a perfect circle. When torqued, the nut is forced into a circle causing them to lock. These types of lock nuts should not be reused.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    If I recall, they aren't nylon insert lock nuts, they are deformed lock nuts, so the female portion of the nut isn't a perfect circle. When torqued, the nut is forced into a circle causing them to lock. These types of lock nuts should not be reused.
    You are exactly correct in your statement @ FT4NOW…

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast