User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

front compartment lock - wont stay latched - "tab" too short?

Good morning,
    Our 2022 Solitude has the typical hinged door over the front storage/generator compartment. One simple keyed locking tab in the middle and two basic latches, one on each side. Problem is, the tab in the keyed lock that is supposed to turn behind the lower wall of the compartment seems to be too short. I can lock it in place, but next time I look it is unlatched, and that's just sitting in one place all winter. The other two basic latches keep the door closed, but I would like to be able to lock that compartment, even if its just to deter honest folks.
    Someone once told me that they make longer tabs for those locks, but I can't remember who it was. Anyone done this fix and have a lead?
    Thanks!
    2022 Solitude 378-MBS-R, 8k axles and disc brake package, slide toppers, dual panes, 5.5kw Onan, W/D, 3rd AC/heat pump
    2023 F350 Lariat DRW on order, (canceled)
    2023 Chevy 3500 LTZ long bed Duramax, 12250 GVWR, 3867 cargo cap, Z71, 5th wheel prep

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take it that it doesn't become unlocked, just the tab moves out from behind the frame? Make sure the tab is fully behind the frame and isn't just turning partway and hooking with an edge only. But you're likely right and a longer tab will do the job. I've seen some latches that have a lot of rotational movement.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I take it that it doesn't become unlocked, just the tab moves out from behind the frame? Make sure the tab is fully behind the frame and isn't just turning partway and hooking with an edge only. But you're likely right and a longer tab will do the job. I've seen some latches that have a lot of rotational movement.
    Yes, that's correct. I can get the tab behind the frame and it appears locked, but normal shifting of the RV is enough to let the tab slip out. I looked on Amazon and see some replacement keyed latches, but only in sets of 5.....I'll measure what is on the rig now and compare with these. If longer I'll probably try them.
    2022 Solitude 378-MBS-R, 8k axles and disc brake package, slide toppers, dual panes, 5.5kw Onan, W/D, 3rd AC/heat pump
    2023 Chevy 3500 LTZ long bed Duramax, 12250 GVWR, 3867 cargo cap, Z71, 5th wheel prep

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had this problem on our Solitude when we bought it. At first I thought the holes were drilled too high, but then straight edged it & found that the bottom sagged.
    I found barrel key locks on Amazon, bought two keyed alike & put them on each end.
    A friend stepped on a hatch lock on my boat & broke it. After I replaced it, the old one had a long tab on it. Used it on the thumb latch in the middle.
    Last edited by Gronk1; 02-23-2023 at 02:07 PM. Reason: grammar
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That lock is called a cam lock. The "tab" is a cam. Cams are available in an assortment of lengths and offsets. You can also buy a very long one and trim to a custom length or heat and bend for a custom offset. Likely GD installed the baggage door with too much frame-to-door gap making the standard cam too short. However, I also heard Forest River got an order of mis-drilled baggage doors, and the manufacturers all use the same suppliers.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had this happen on the Outdoor kitchen latch.
    I replaced all my latches with these: https://www.rvlock.com/collections/thumb-cam-latches
    I had them all keyed alike as well. Nice company to deal with.
    I uses two locks on the front compartment and one pull (which is opposite of the stock set up)

The one on the kitchen hatch was still too short. I had to make a new piece from scratch.
    The bends were kind of fun. The square hole was made with a little metal file. Sorry no pics of that project.
    I believe the hole was drill too high up on the door and therefore the latch had little to grab onto.
    You might contact RVLocks and see if they have anything for your situation.

Best wishes!
    2020 Reflection 29RS 5th Wheel
    2019 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the same problem - maybe 1/32" of grip on the tab but good fitment as far as frame-to-door gap. However, I then noticed that the entire door is bowed out in the middle right where the latch is and when locked, the pressure of the bowed door bent the frame out a bit - it is very thin - that made the grip surface even less. In order to catch the frame, had to push the door in about 3/8" or more to lock it and bend the frame straight again. GD is sending dealer a replacement door and latch so guess we'll see how that fits.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Likely GD installed the baggage door with too much frame-to-door gap making the standard cam too short.
    Yep, that was the exact case with mine from the factory.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GeneratorDoor.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	45008

Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    That lock is called a cam lock. The "tab" is a cam. Cams are available in an assortment of lengths and offsets. You can also buy a very long one and trim to a custom length or heat and bend for a custom offset.
    Exactly. I bought a cam assortment at Ace Hardware with different lengths and offsets. With some trial and error, I found this one that works great.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201223_153112.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	45009
    signature

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huh, cam locks....I'm old, but still learn things every day! Now to see if I can remember half of it
    Moving the rig today, but I'll try Ace Hardware for alternatives next week when things settle down.
    Also thought of replacing one of the latches on each propane access door with those locks from Amazon while I'm at it.
    Thanks again for all the help, this forum is awesome! I usually drop out of forums because of all the ranting, but this one has some good folks.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Locks on propane access doors are verboten. They are to be kept accessible to emergency workers...just in case.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast