User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dash Camera

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dash Camera

After a couple of close calls after being cut off last year I have decided to invest in a dash cam. I tried doing a search and didn’t find anything recent (my searching skills could probably use some improvement). Because the technology is always changing I have to ask, has anyone purchased a dash cam recently? What make and model do you have and how do you like it?

I am considering the Nextbase 622GW, https://nextbase.com/dash-cams/. It’s cheaper on Amazon. Is this overkill, could I get by with something less expensive? What else should I be looking at?

I am primarily interested in forward facing. The rear view won’t be worth much when towing. We do have the furion camera on the back of the rig but of course it doesn’t record.

Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at the Dashcam subreddit on Reddit at https://www.reddit.com/r/Dashcam/com...helpful_guide/

Great write up and even a quiz to help you choose.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are several posts here, but our search engine isn't great. A lot of us run dash cams. I run BlackVues in both of my trucks, and I have a Garmin in the rear window of the Solitude. Price was not my consideration. Performance and dependability were my list toppers.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    There are several posts here, but our search engine isn't great. A lot of us run dash cams. I run BlackVues in both of my trucks, and I have a Garmin in the rear window of the Solitude. Price was not my consideration. Performance and dependability were my list toppers.
    Is the Garmin at the rear of your Solitude stand-alone and how do you power it? Would be nice if they integrated it with their RV GPS devices but there seems to be a USB tether to the mount for forward facing only option.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Is the Garmin at the rear of your Solitude stand-alone and how do you power it? Would be nice if they integrated it with their RV GPS devices but there seems to be a USB tether to the mount for forward facing only option.
    It's a Garmin Mini 2, which has a USB plug. Our sofa is below the rear window, and each end table has USB receptacles, which are live when the battery is connected. Of course the battery is connected in transit. I plug in the camera before we depart and it records the entire time to we reach our destination and I unplug it. I have a big microSD card in it, and it has recorded 6 hours straight without record-over.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a Rove R2-4k dash camera. It works well, near 1 yr old now. I do not remember what gig size card I installed in it. I have watched the video clips on my laptop. It is clear and smooth operation , plus recorded audio inside the cab.

I do not have an operational rear view camera system. Our Solitude has the Furrion camera, but we do not have any monitor that will function with it. The compatible Furrion monitor is a bit expensive. We are still looking at other options
    2021 Solitude S Class 3540GK
    F-350 DRW Diesel

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_in_AZ View Post
    I bought a Rove R2-4k dash camera. It works well, near 1 yr old now. I do not remember what gig size card I installed in it. I have watched the video clips on my laptop. It is clear and smooth operation , plus recorded audio inside the cab.
    I'm at war with Rove as we speak. They told me to purchase a specific Samsung SD card - I had two 256GB cards which I sent them pictures of. They agreed they were the correct ones. Months later, both were destroyed and I received a text from Rove support that they no longer recommend Samsung SD cards and are now selling their own brand. Nice. They promised to ship me one in Nov and even sent me a UPS tracking number which was never fulfilled. Never received and no follow-up responses to 8 contacts since then.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve put Thinkware in a few of our vehicles and other than a memory card replacement one of them has been going for 4 hrs and 60k.

I’ll be getting the same thing (new version) for a vehicle we got recently. Mine are their 200 series front and rear channel (you’d be surprised what the rear captures, even with the trailer, being that the wide view kinda looks alongside as well).

Plenty of other great options out there too.

*edit: the site on Reddit is who I have purchased from.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_in_AZ View Post

I do not have an operational rear view camera system. Our Solitude has the Furrion camera, but we do not have any monitor that will function with it. The compatible Furrion monitor is a bit expensive. We are still looking at other options
    I bought a Rove also, which I really liked at first. Now it is constantly turning itself on while my truck is parked and ignition's off (I have parking mode turned off on the camera) and it will occasionally power cycle while driving. On our last trip to Big Bend it was constantly power cycling while driving. I finally unplugged it, I wasn't gonna listen to it turn itself off and on for 8 hours.
    bill

TT: 2021 261BH Transcend Xplor
    TV: 2017 F250 FX4 6.2l

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just installed one of the new Ring car cams. The picture is awesome and it integrates with your current Ring system if you have one. The only downside is there is an annual subscription if you want all the features for it to run over a cellular network while traveling. Currently in a month trial period with that, we’ll see how it goes or if it is needed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast