User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Florida for the winter - Reservations?

Hi all,
    Looking for those who travel to sunny Florida to escape the winter chill. We retired last year and have been kicking around spending winters in a warmer climate. Florida seems to be our top choice, looking South of Tampa. While getting reservations can be difficult or next to impossible, I've heard many campgrounds can bump your reservation if a better one comes along? We've had friends that have told us we need to buy a space to be guaranteed a spot or risk losing our reservation. Has anyone heard of this? While I would consider purchasing, I'd rather give snow birding a try before committing to ownership.

If I'm mis-informed please let me know. Also if anyone has any advice on the best way to reserve (what to look for, how far out, location tools, etc) I'd be grateful. Next winter is coming.

Thanks,
    Mike
    2022 376THS-R w/B&W Companion 25K puck hitch
    MORryde 3 axle 7K IS w/disk brakes
    2021 GMC 3500 Denali DRW
    2014 HD CVO Limited

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a friend who got bumped. They had a 3 month reservation but someone else went for an annual contract on that site so my friend was bumped. I don’t know if all RV parks do this but some certainly do so asking about it would be prudent when making a reservation.

As far as what to look for in a park, it depends on what you like to do. We don’t particularly care for the beach scene so we are a bit further inland than some folks would like to be. The amenities offered by the park will also be important but also will depend on what you like to do.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We made reservations for Nov and Dec 2022 in the Sarasota area in August 2022. We were able to get a site but things were pretty tight.

Close to Ft. Meyers may still be very busy due to closures after last years hurricane.

They all seem to get busier after Christmas.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have some friends who camp near Bradenton area typically 5 months out of each year in the winter there for the past 6 years. They told us that its becoming harder to keep their reservations and/or find others due to the same issue. Their CG as well as others were wanting them to commit to a annual reservation. But, the CG could rent out their space while not there.... dont remember how they worked out the subletting if anything could be worked out at all.
    Last edited by trailrydr; 02-24-2023 at 11:40 AM.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of the Escapees are reporting the same frustration with getting bumped. The CGs want full occupancy, and if they can get it... It's apparently in reservation fine print too. Now, if you're going to be staying put for couple months, you will be the "bumper."
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, do you suppose someone who reserves for 1 month will bump someone who is only there for 3 weeks?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    So, do you suppose someone who reserves for 1 month will bump someone who is only there for 3 weeks?
    That's what I've heard happens! We're going to the Naples area next month and are going to check out several resorts that sell deeded lots. Obviously, owning a site would solve bump issues, but the cost is way up there along with HOA fees and taxes. We can recoup some of it renting during the year, but I'd be surprised if renting covered half the costs.
    2022 376THS-R w/B&W Companion 25K puck hitch
    MORryde 3 axle 7K IS w/disk brakes
    2021 GMC 3500 Denali DRW
    2014 HD CVO Limited

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And don’t forget the red tide. Maybe the desert southwest is a better choice. Great that these things have wheels.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with others. It's luck of the draw finding a place if you "only" want to stay for 2 or 3 months (depending on location of course). We stay in the Bradenton area because my Father is down there. If you aren't set on the high season (Jan/Feb through April) you may have better luck going down in December - February. But still, they won't allow you to make a reservation until the summer usually because they want to first try to fill the months with others that want to stay the full season. And if someone comes along with an offer to stay more months, they'll likely bump you. It's just the way it is. Can't really blame the CG. They take the business they can get. Staying away from the high traffic beach areas will certainly improve your chances.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)