Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Stink Bugs !

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stink Bugs !

Anyone else notice the stink bugs are bad this year? It started for us last fall up in Indiana, now down here in Galveston they are just as bad! We keep getting them inside the RV.
    Little suckers are as bad as ants, can crawl through very small tight places, or fly right in the door.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 02-24-2023 at 09:48 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Anyone else notice the stink bugs are bad this year? It started for us last fall up in Indiana, now down here in Galveston they are just as bad! We keep getting them inside the RV.
    Little suckers are as bad as ants, can crawl through very small tight places, or fly right in the door.
    Here in MO, with temps in the 20's one week and then 60's the next and seeing flys and other insects recently, I would think that early bug sightings are gonna become more common everywhere in the southern and midwestern states this year.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate stink bugs. They are literally coming out of the wood work of our 150 yr old farm house every time the temp hits 55* or higher. Usually they are at their most active around here in the fall, but they are everywhere right now. I have found nothing to stop them other than to seal/caulk siding, windows, door trim, etc. A lot of our windows are wood, ancient and are of the single hung-type. I'm pretty sure a small dog could squeeze through some of the jambs. Anyway, I've read that a spray bottle with an essential oil mixture of 10 drops each of clove, lemongrass and spearmint oil in 16 oz of water will repel stink bugs. Never tried it. I did use a homemade trap suggested by Virginia Tech - roaster pan filled with water and dish soap placed under a desk lamp. It caught a lot of stink bugs, but they were also all over the lamp, the dresser, the side of the pan. It seemed to attract more bugs inside than without it. Several folks around here swear by placing osage oranges (Maclura pomifera) in old mesh stockings and placing them below windows, inside and outside, to repel stink bugs. I think the stocking is for easy disposal because the osage oranges ultimately rot.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Were in North Carolina last few weeks and they were abundant in a brand new house with well sealed windows - didn't make a difference they still got in. Back up in NH where the temps are going down, you find them in the gas pump LCDs - sometimes hard to read the display through all the bugs. As soon as I light a fire in the wood stove, the stink bugs and ladybugs come out of the woodwork. Even the cats won't go after them.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One year it was flies, the next lady bugs, now I guess it's time for the stink bugs ! When we first got to Galveston the mosquitos were terrible, couldn't even walk to the beach ! With a couple days of cold weather the mosquitos went away, but not the darn stink bugs, if anything they got worse. I guess they are put here to remind humans not to get so uppity !
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We live in Maryland and these things get into every nook and cranny. I was working in the RV a few days ago and lifted the bed platform to access the storage space. I found dozens of them camped out in the wooden framing and hinges, not dead just sluggish. They get into everything, linens, clothes, my wife's hair Hate those little buggers...
    Bob & Donna - Maryland
    2017 303 RLS
    2023 Ford F350 CCLB 6.7 Diesel w/B & W Companion 3300 hitch