User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll probably regret posting this, but my axle/spring problem is somewhat self induced. I added a "box" on the rear of my TT to house tools and a 4400w generator (130 lbs). All combined, the box and tools probably weight 400 lbs. Bouncing down the road who knows what it weights. This assembly is welded to the frame, not the bumper.

However, the old axles (4400# each) sagged and wore out the inside of the tires within 6,000 miles before I added this box. So, upon adding the box I upgraded both axles to 6000# but kept the 2400# springs. The tires are now wearing evenly, 15,000 miles on them.

Because of the "box" the rear axle springs have now bent. So I just ordered 3000# springs I'll add to the rear axle. Hopefully this will better support the box. A pair of springs and mounting hardware is only $160 with shipping.

On hot days, I can open the generator exhaust door (see photo) and drive with the generator running and start the A/C running a hour or so before we get to a camp site.

Dustin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Generator Box 2.jpg  
    Dustin and Doris

2018 2600RB
    2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toolman.dustin View Post
    Thanks for posting this. I'm considering this addition. Lots of good reviews on this product. I see Lippert also makes a similar product. Still researching.

Dustin
    I have it on my 351M. I'm happy with it, however, it won't stop the bushings from disintegrating. It does settle the trailer down a lot faster when your towing though, IMHO, it's money well spent.

Pull both tires when you install! Makes life much, much easier!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    A 9/16" reamer is what you need. An 11/16" drill will likely give you a oversize hole, and not round unless you're seriously strong dude and can keep it perfectly aligned. Oops, missed that you have a drill press, that's perfect for the reamer.
    I'm waiting the arrival of new bushings and springs. In the mean time I purchased a 9/16" dill bit and tested it on the bushings on one of these bent springs. The 9/16" bushing hole is so wallowed out the drill bit just falls right through. It makes no contact with anything. Therefore; I conclude that pressing it in and then honing it to a circular 9/16" is basically a waste of time. It's going to get bent, broken, stretched and who knows what else almost immediately.

I've been following this other thread and it looks like (for now) we're all going to have to keep checking bushings on a regular basis. Can you imagine how lousy those nylon bushings are that come pre-installed? It's amazing they even make it to the dealership.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...spension/page3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bushing 1.jpg   Bushing 2.jpg   Bushing 3.jpg  
    Dustin and Doris

2018 2600RB
    2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toolman.dustin View Post
    I'm waiting the arrival of new bushings and springs. In the mean time I purchased a 9/16" dill bit and tested it on the bushings on one of these bent springs. The 9/16" bushing hole is so wallowed out the drill bit just falls right through. It makes no contact with anything. Therefore; I conclude that pressing it in and then honing it to a circular 9/16" is basically a waste of time. It's going to get bent, broken, stretched and who knows what else almost immediately.

I've been following this other thread and it looks like (for now) we're all going to have to keep checking bushings on a regular basis. Can you imagine how lousy those nylon bushings are that come pre-installed? It's amazing they even make it to the dealership.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...spension/page3
    Your bushings are bad, but, compared to mine, you could sell them as factory fresh. I'd call that "getting to them early" compared to what mine looked like and other pictures I've seen. When I say "disintegrated" that's what I mean, several of them, all that was left were some strips of metal. Like you stuck a shim in there. No evidence that it was ever round.

This is one of those "drive you nuts" problems. It's just poor engineering. It's going to fail, and fail quickly if you use your RV a lot. And there are cheap/easy solutions to resolve this issue. It's also not a Grand Design problem, you could almost understand if it was just one manufacturer; they skimped on the design and are having issues. No, this is basically an "every RV on the road" (at least those that don't have IS or Kelderman or some other suspension) problem. It's just maddening, this is a REALLY important part of the RV, the same part is used on basically all RVs (therefore you have the scale to spend some money to engineer something good), and it's just garbage. How many people are going to have the skills, time, or interest in tearing down their RV suspension every year or two? And those that don't, you're going to have a less than fun vacation one of these days when something finally lets loose.

Hey, here's a positive. The springs are likely to be flat before the wet bolt wears through the spring. So, at least you'll have an indication when your springs are flat that it's time to replace the entire suspension (because if you do that, the wet bolts are going to be destroyed as well from riding on the springs. Look, it's a feature!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put an old 9/16" bolt in the bushing and then press it in the spring, I have never had to drill or ream the new bushing after install.
    2003 Ford F250 6.0 CC 4wd SB
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    1999 Keystone Sprinter 27FWBHGL (SOLD)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the work done today at Arizona Spring on Grant Street in Tucson. A friendly and accommodating team that did a professional job as near as I can tell. My old 4 leaf 2,600 lb springs were replaced with 5 leaf, 3000 lb. Springs that were made in China. They look great but the biggest change is in the way the truck rides. Night and day difference in the smoothness of the ride. I guess my “W” shaped worn out springs were not springing at all. My ride went from jolting over bumps to floating over bumps. I was not expecting this wonderful outcome. Very impressive

The trailer sits about an inch higher which is fine.

All 14 wet bolts and bronze bushings were replaced as well. The old spring eye bushings were worn completely through. Cracked and missing pieces. The CRE 3000 bushings were worn but not that bad.

The tech put the new wet bolts in with the zerks facing out. This was a surprise but ok. I may need to get a 90 degree fitting for the grease gun but I won’t have to crawl underneath anymore to grease them.

I noticed that the tech greased all the wetbolts while the trailer was up on jack stands. Then. Greased them all again when it was back down on the wheels. This is how they do it, they explained, in order to get grease everywhere around the wet bolt. Nice.

The shop has the capability to do alignments ( remove axle and press it to bend it as needed ). They also can do the welding on the spring hangers to beef them up. Since I’m on the road I opted to just do the springs, wetbolts and bushings. If I had more time I would have done the alignment and hanger beef up as well.

Price with tax was $1,273.

I know this is not a bargain but I’m a happy camper with a much better ride and more confidence in my rig. I will however, check the lug nut torque in the morning after today’s 150 mile pull.

And. Thanks to this forum of experienced folks for all the help and advice.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgot to mention that new u bolts were also part of the upgrade.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice. Thanks for the update. Good to know they do axle alignments too!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=FlyStar;475163
    Price with tax was $1,273.

I know this is not a bargain but I’m a happy camper with a much better ride and more confidence in my rig. I will however, check the lug nut torque in the morning after today’s 150 mile pull.

And. Thanks to this forum of experienced folks for all the help and advice.[/QUOTE]

1,273 is a very fair price for what you had done. I wouldn't do that job for 1200 bucks, tell you that! The parts to do mine (with 4K American springs) were close to that much; I think you did pretty darn good actually.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for getting back with the end results. Everything sounds like it went well, and JMO, but I don't think you got overcharged. I hate paying to have done what I can do, but sometimes it's necessary, and it really sounds like you came out of it smelling like a rose. FWIW, having the zerks on the outside only makes sense, I can see no good reason to have them so you can't reach them. I can grease all my zerks with the tires on, and don't have to crawl underneath.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345