Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mold issues?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toy4Rick View Post
    No mold for us in the shower either

After 1 year of use, I noticed some small spots of mold under the mattress, just received a new bed and have the Hypervent coming this week should address that issue

While camping in the Pacific North West in Sept through early Nov last year, tons of moisture inside due to the heater running and cold outside temps, we did see some mold starting on the inside of the windows... had to wipe them down every couple of days

Good luck and enjoy
    Concerning your issue with mold on the mattress. I did see a post somewhere with the same comment and similar conditions. The point that made sense was that the storage area under the bed gets cold and the bodies on the bed make that a hot area. They noted after lifting the bed that the underside was quite damp. Their solution was to drill out 2 4" circular holes in the base on either end and place a vent cap there. They mentioned that it solved the problem by allowing air to circulate in the compartment.

I thought it was a good idea although I did not experience this issue. I went ahead and did the work as well. Local shop had two light brown vents and it looks great. Never noticed any issues.

Another point: I am considering going to lithium and eventually inverter, panels etcetera. Two locations for dual lithium batteries. First would be on the tongue but likely the best location would be under the bed, shorter cable length and a heated area now vented a bit. Likely will install there when the Boss approves the budget!
    Last edited by Petrovsky; 03-10-2023 at 08:36 PM.
    Pierre & Tara

2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
    1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElsaHill View Post
    New to Grand Design, but have been RVing for 35 years. We have a 2023 imagine 2500RL with the walk thru bathroom. Shower stall has the “squeegee” sliding enclosure. Concerns for mold/ mildew. Have not taken “shake down cruise” yet 😊
    We have the same shower screen. During our 4 month trip last summer, the bathroom started to have a moldy smell, and toward the bottom of the screen there was a discoloring that started to appear. We cleaned it and then started leaving it closed after our last shower of the night so that it dried completely. No more issues.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrovsky View Post
    Concerning your issue with mold on the mattress. I did see a post somewhere with the same comment and similar conditions. The point that made sense was that the storage area under the bed gets cold and the bodies on the bed make that a hot area. They noted after lifting the bed that the underside was quite damp. Their solution was to drill out 2 4" circular holes in the base on either end and place a vent cap there. They mentioned that it solved the problem by allowing air to circulate in the compartment.

I thought it was a good idea although I did not experience this issue. I went ahead and did the work as well. Local shop had two light brown vents and it looks great. Never noticed any issues.

Another point: I am considering going to lithium and eventually inverter, panels etcetera. Two locations for dual lithium batteries. First would be on the tongue but likely the best location would be under the bed, shorter cable length and a heated area now vented a bit. Likely will install there when the Boss approves the budget!
    Hadn't considered venting the storage under the bed, I might do that as well

For now, I just installed the Hypervent product that goes under the bed, 3/4" loosely woven plastic to help with airflow... see how it goes

Thanks for the vent tip
    2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    2022 Imagine 2500RL

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some models have vented bed storage. On both of our Momentums, the bed storage was vented. I can't recall if our Reflection had vented bed storage, we didn't keep it very long.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to tell you after all the years of RVing, for the first time I installed a good marine fan up on the wall in the corner of the bathroom on our 22MLE. There isn't an A/C vent in the bathroom so I thought this would be good for cooling off after a shower. But we also added one of those retractable clothes lines in the shower so we could hang our towels and wash cloths in there to dry using the fan. It keeps the moisture down, dries the towels, and we realized we could also pull the retractable shower door out and point the fan to blow over the top of it. That way the door dries out along with everything else. I'll be doing that in the new 23LDE this spring.
    We have a few of these fans for our boat and RV, not cheap but the push more air than typical 12v fans of the same size. Obviously, you can get much cheaper fans. I see they raised the price $15 since the last one I purchased. If you have a wall switch for the light or vent fan you can tie into that if you mount the fan on the same wall. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toy4Rick View Post
    Hadn't considered venting the storage under the bed, I might do that as well

For now, I just installed the Hypervent product that goes under the bed, 3/4" loosely woven plastic to help with airflow... see how it goes

Thanks for the vent tip
    We use the under bed plastic material and never have any issues either. In fact, we never had any without it.. just did it cause heard of those with issues and its cheap insurance.

In our 295RL we have a ceiling AC duct. Usually keep it closed.... we always use the ceiling fan/vent when showering as it gets rid of all the humidity after a shower within 5 minutes.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElsaHill View Post
    Thank you for the replies. No mold or mildew, just concerns that enclosure will not dry out completely. I always keep the bathroom vent open. I have a shower rod and curtain is needed.
    Hi! Had one of those shower doors in our 2019 273 MKS for two years and had no issues. We would keep it closed after every use until completely dry and wipe both sides down with vinegar/water solution about once a week. Once that's dry, put it away. Never had an issue with mold or odors.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12