Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solitude vs. S Solitude

Hi all,

I imagine this has been discussed before, but I could not find what I wanted in the search.

For those that have the S Solitude, would you please share some of the reasons you went with that vs. the Solitude? I know price may be one factor, but what were the other factors?

For those that have the Solitude and considered the S Solitude, would you please share some of the reasons you went with that vs. the S Solitude?

While I would be grateful for anyone's thoughts on these matters, if you have a 2023 of either line I would be even more interested. It seems to me that the differences are less for 2023 than before, but I could be missing something (I know there are differences, it just seems like they are more similar than before).

Finally, for those with the 2930RL or RL-R, is there anything in the comparable 310GK that you really wished you had (or perhaps did add after market - just referring to what the 310GK has)?

TIA

Brian

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a big factor is floor plans. If you want an actual bunkhouse, you're limited to the S class. We strongly considered the 3740 over the 398 for the bunkhouse; there was nothing comparable in the regular Solitude line. I really didn't want the electric leveling system. I've had both, electric and hydrualic, and hands down prefer the hydrualic. I don't recall the other differences, but I know there are others besides the leveling system.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcurrie100 View Post
    Hi all,

I imagine this has been discussed before, but I could not find what I wanted in the search.

For those that have the S Solitude, would you please share some of the reasons you went with that vs. the Solitude? I know price may be one factor, but what were the other factors?

For those that have the Solitude and considered the S Solitude, would you please share some of the reasons you went with that vs. the S Solitude?

While I would be grateful for anyone's thoughts on these matters, if you have a 2023 of either line I would be even more interested. It seems to me that the differences are less for 2023 than before, but I could be missing something (I know there are differences, it just seems like they are more similar than before).

Finally, for those with the 2930RL or RL-R, is there anything in the comparable 310GK that you really wished you had (or perhaps did add after market - just referring to what the 310GK has)?

TIA

Brian
    The overall weight and pin weight are considerably heavier for the solitude. Dont remember how much, but you should defiantly have a 350/3500 series truck for the 310 GK. I believe the auto level is different on the s series. I really like the auto level on our 310GKR. Theres more but I believe it mostly comes down to price and what features you might want to add latter to the s.
    1st 5er- 2006 titanium 32/37. current 5er-2021 Solitude 310GKR
    1st camper-2001 Lance slide in
    1st truck-2001 chevy silverado 2500 HD 8.1 vortec-Allison trans. current truck-2011 chevy silverado HD duramax, allison LTZ

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not much help here but: We bought a used 2021 3540gk Solitude S class.. As I understand it, the S class is reduced content from a regular Solitude? Basically we walked into this Solitude, my wife ooh & ahhh'd in the kitchen and the bathroom. We had a Keystone toyhauler previously. The motorcycle is left behind now, but we really like this floor plan and living space since we are in the Solitude 5 - 6 months a year.

THe 3540gk is listed as 38' 4" long and it measures 40 feet tip to tip. Pin weight from the factory is listed as 2540 as I recall. Per my CAT Scale weights, loaded we have 3740 pounds on the hitch of our F-350 truck. I have deleted and moved some cargo items around , so the hitch weight may now be lower by 100 pounds.

The toyhauler had hyd 6 point jack leveling.. The electric jacks on this S class does the same thing , just a bunch slower
    2021 Solitude S Class 3540GK
    F-350 DRW Diesel

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it's been discussed many times, and the differences have changed a bit. Biggest in 2020 were: Solitude had hydraulic leveling and main slides, S-Class all electric; Solitude had thicker, gloss gelcoat, S-Class slightly thinner and matt; Solitude had CREE equalizers, S-Class had Equaflex; Solitude had remote control capability, S-Class all manual switches; and there were different interior touches. For us, it was having the largest available bathroom and highest CCC of either line and the length is in the sweet spot.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few things like refrigerators and water heaters may have changed since this was posted, but post number 4 in this thread has a pretty good rundown:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...litude-S-Class

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably no impact now, but when we ordered in 2021 Grand Design had halted production on several floor plans due to Covid and then the supply chain issues hit and we could only get some of the options we wanted on a few popular Solitude models - at least according to the dealer. The dealer had a 3350RL open inside and it was impressive but a bit longer than we wanted. We liked the 310GK floor plan and decided to go with that. Was pleasantly surprised when it arrived and had everything we had ordered. That said, looks like Grand Design has culled their option list on their website for both unless they are just not advertising some - don't see residential fridge or Onan any longer. Was interested to see Independent Suspension available on both S Class and Solitude lines - I'm guessing it's not Morryde?
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After touring an S class a few weeks back at an RV show, one thing I noticed was that if you get the King Bed there's virtually no room on the curb side between the bed and the wall.
    Thats the issue with the N/S bed configuration when wanting a king.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2930 and absolutely love it. Its my first Grand Design product (and first 5th wheel) but I'd have no second thoughts getting another S-Class. We've traveled quite a bit with ours and met a number of 2930RL owners. Each have liked theirs as much as us. Great floorplan with a huge bathroom. Couple thoughts...

1. We initially were hoping for a 310, but I was not comfortable with pin weights that owners were reporting. Its a personal preference but I was not willing to exceed my (new at the time) trucks weight capacities. The 2930RL weights fit the bill perfectly for our truck (see sig).

2. S-Class products at the time did not come with a Morryde pin box. We did add one to ours to help with some chucking. Easy addition to do.

3. Electric Jacks - I actually prefer them. Easy to work on and no leaks. I use mine for wheel bearing maintenance etc. and prefer that they mechanically lock in place vs. using hydraulic pressure. While I still use jack stands in addition to the leveling jacks, I'm a fan of simplicity and ease of maintenance with electric systems.

4. As others mentioned, The standard Solitudes have a different gel coat that has more of a shine to it. I'd love to have that but am more than happy with what we have.
    2019 Solitude S-Class 2930RL
    2021 RAM 3500 SRW CC Short Box HO Cummins Rear Air Suspension

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roegs01 View Post
    We have a 2930 and absolutely love it. Its my first Grand Design product (and first 5th wheel) but I'd have no second thoughts getting another S-Class. We've traveled quite a bit with ours and met a number of 2930RL owners. Each have liked theirs as much as us. Great floorplan with a huge bathroom. Couple thoughts...

1. We initially were hoping for a 310, but I was not comfortable with pin weights that owners were reporting. Its a personal preference but I was not willing to exceed my (new at the time) trucks weight capacities. The 2930RL weights fit the bill perfectly for our truck (see sig).

2. S-Class products at the time did not come with a Morryde pin box. We did add one to ours to help with some chucking. Easy addition to do.

3. Electric Jacks - I actually prefer them. Easy to work on and no leaks. I use mine for wheel bearing maintenance etc. and prefer that they mechanically lock in place vs. using hydraulic pressure. While I still use jack stands in addition to the leveling jacks, I'm a fan of simplicity and ease of maintenance with electric systems.

4. As others mentioned, The standard Solitudes have a different gel coat that has more of a shine to it. I'd love to have that but am more than happy with what we have.
    @roegs01: Thank you for that first hand knowledge. A couple follow-up questions. Have the electric jacks been problematic just as far as being in good working order? I ask because from what I have read, electric jacks not working is one thing that people cite they do not like about them (compared to reliability of hydraulic jacks). I am referring to people saying they break down more than hydraulic levels.

And I do not know if you frequent State and/or National Parks, but from what I have read 35' is the crucial cutoff (even shorter is better, but 34-35' is the shortest we want to go with current floorplan availability). If you do frequent these areas, has the extra 6" on your 2930RL been a deal breaker on getting into places that if you would have had the 310GK at 34'11", you would have been fine?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast