User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery on or off?

Tomorrow the wind is supposed to blow some - 45 gusting to 75. That could bring down power lines, so we want to be ready to boondock if necessary. We're plugged into 50A, and will stay that way. No generator, so if the power goes out the batteries are all that is left. Should I turn on the battery switch if that happens? We have the "standard" solar panel on the roof and two 105 AH lithium batteries.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s a tough choice. I would leave them on as you are using them but be very frugal with our usage. Also with solar on the roof, even the standard factory solar will add charge. May not keep up with usage but should help delay depletion point. Also if the temp is below freezing you can’t charge them anyway. Use them carefully.

Here’s hoping your electric stays on in the bad weather and you all stay safe!

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Bill. I'm still getting used to the batteries NOT being the power source for the 12v side. On the Foretravel, power went from the converter to the batteries to the load. When the power went out the batteries were still there - no switching required. As I understand it, on the Reflection the batteries are normally out of the loop, getting some charging from the converter and the solar panel, but the converter supplies all of the 12v needs except for the tank heating pads. Those, apparently, are powered only by the batteries.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    As I understand it, on the Reflection the batteries are normally out of the loop, getting some charging from the converter and the solar panel, but the converter supplies all of the 12v needs except for the tank heating pads. Those, apparently, are powered only by the batteries.
    Where does this understanding come from? It really doesn't make any sense to me, I think you might be misunderstanding. How would the batteries be out of the loop unless you have the disconnect switch in the wrong position? When you use your tank heating pads, do you do something to allow power from the battery? If the converter and solar provide charging to the batteries without operator action, the batteries should provide 12v to the 12v system if the converter is off, again without operator action. If your system is different I would like to understand, not that it affects me, but I'm always interested in how things work.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    Thanks, Bill. I'm still getting used to the batteries NOT being the power source for the 12v side. On the Foretravel, power went from the converter to the batteries to the load. When the power went out the batteries were still there - no switching required. As I understand it, on the Reflection the batteries are normally out of the loop, getting some charging from the converter and the solar panel, but the converter supplies all of the 12v needs except for the tank heating pads. Those, apparently, are powered only by the batteries.
    Definitely a bit of a misunderstanding. Your batteries are the source for the 12v side. The converter provides 120v and 12v charging.

If you lose shore power you will lose 120v and battery charging, not 12v.

That’s why I said keep them on and use them frugally.

I hope that helps.

Bill
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't believe the converter provides 120V AC, but it does convert 120V to 12V DC to charge the batteries and run various 12V DC devices.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Typo? I don't believe the converter provides 120V AC, but it does convert 120V to 12V DC to charge the batteries and run various 12V DC devices.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery on or off?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Typo? I don't believe the converter provides 120V AC, but it does convert 120V to 12V DC to charge the batteries and run various 12V DC devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Yea, typo, you’re right. Converter plugs into 120v.

Shore power provides 120v through distribution. Converter charges battery.

Loss of shore power is loss of 120v and battery charging from the converter.

Bill
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Definitely a bit of a misunderstanding. Your batteries are the source for the 12v side. The converter provides 120v and 12v charging.

If you lose shore power you will lose 120v and battery charging, not 12v.

That’s why I said keep them on and use them frugally.

I hope that helps.

Bill
    The convertor does NOT supply 120 volt power.
    The OP should turn the battery on. and use the coach normally. no need to be frugal as long as his shore power is working. if it goes out, then frugal measures should be used
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    The convertor does NOT supply 120 volt power.
    The OP should turn the battery on. and use the coach normally. no need to be frugal as long as his shore power is working. if it goes out, then frugal measures should be used
    If you read my previous post I corrected myself

Thanks
    Bill
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast