User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Yep. Right after the maiden voyage with ours I did a major mod in this regard because it was clear the tiny, low mount lights were too inconspicuous. I added what is traditionally a light bar that goes below a pickup tailgate below our rear window. That location because 1) blends nicely and not too conspicuous, 2) it can be seen at tremendously longer distance and it's bright (!), 3) it includes a strip of white leds for reversing, and 4) easy wiring with the 4-flat in the back. Just had to run the reverse feed. The reverse lights are incredibly helpful backing in at night whether it be late arrival to the CG or back home.
    I think this is really the right way to do it. I tried using a very fancy sequenced flasher of the type you described (for a pick-up) on the trailer and had no end of trouble. Tech support for the light bar said it was a "decoding" issue of the turn signals. Ended up returning it and building my own set-up. If you found one that works, that is the best overall approach. A back up light is a bonus too.

Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 F350 CCSB SRW, w/Demco Autoslide.
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    Thought of something else. Every trailer Grand Design sells is heavy enough to require brakes. Those brakes are electrically operated by a battery. So why isn't a battery standard equipment?
    Lead acid batteries are hazardous and require special permits to transport in bulk.
    I know, every car has one...
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My list is long, and so is this one https://youtu.be/1HU7USIEwdY

Mostly I wish the designers/ CEOs, would spend a month per year living in an RV. Not a vacation, just cook, shower, sleep etc.

But a pump switch by the toilet would be nice on travel days!
    Last edited by RickLight; 03-03-2023 at 09:28 PM.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsm180 View Post
    Half the fun is customizing to suit my needs. The more stuff the factory installs just increases the chance of problems.
    I am in agreement. Part of the fun of owning is the pleasure of customizing your rig. Unless I have missed something any Dealer will help with factory installed personification and aftermarket options. I have owned many types of RV's and spent most of my maintenance time on those factory upgrades.
    2017 F-250 6.7 2019 273 MK
    Retired Tanker Yanker
    My your pleasures be many and your troubles be few!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLight View Post
    Mostly I wish the designers/ CEOs, would spend a month per year living in an RV. Not a vacation, just cook, shower, sleep etc.
    How many times have I said that?
    Some additional items that need upgraded:
    Dometic toilet instead of the Thetford
    Solid surface finish for table top
    Better blinds .... maybe day and night shades?
    Slam latches on the front (generator) compartment.
    I see some of these items on other competing brands already. Although to be fair, the Solitude does some things better than the others.
    2022 Solitude 378-MBS-R, 8k axles and disc brake package, slide toppers, dual panes, 5.5kw Onan, W/D, 3rd AC/heat pump
    2023 F350 Lariat DRW on order, (canceled)
    2023 Chevy 3500 LTZ long bed Duramax, 12250 GVWR, 3867 cargo cap, Z71, 5th wheel prep

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm currently cross shopping GD and a higher end brand to replace our 351M. So I can answer very distinctly what I'd pay more for because I may, in fact, pay more for it. Thing is, the lift to the higher end units is huge, while the components that I care most about really aren't that expensive, so there's absolutely some "room" for GD to push higher up and not be in the "high end" market.

Anyway, some of the things that may push us up into a more expensive RV:

1) IS suspension (I realize this is available on GD via aftermarket install, but should be a factory option)
    2) Soft touch walls (These really elevate the interior of the RV significantly and reduce noise dramatically; this is a ~4K option, so not a tremendous increase)
    3) Fuel injected/diesel generator options
    4) Quiet water pump (variable speed); this is like 200 bucks, come on Grand Design!
    5) Heat pumps on all ACs
    6) Goosebox or GenY factory option
    7) Power cord reel!!! Anyone who camps a lot will, at some point, get to the where they would give a first born or two to not wrestle a 50A cord again!
    8) Dinette booth instead of table/chairs. I have no idea why dinettes went out of style, but they are awesome, don't need to be secured to travel, storage underneath, more comfortable
    9) Remove (or at least provide an option) StepAbove. I loathe StepAbove. I'm sure if you setup for a long time, it's great, but if you travel a lot, it's a nightmare. Great way to get dirt into your RV, pain the butt to level when you just want to run in and grab something, and solves a problem that I don't have; my rear steps are fine (standard RV steps)!
    10) Vanity slide (provides more room in bedroom)

I think 10 is a nice round number, so I'll stop there. Having shopped the "upmarket" brands pretty extensively now, there really isn't a huge gap to the "lower of the upper" from what GD provides today. If you go into the full custom (New Horizons, SpaceCraft) yeah, some of what they do would be very hard for GD to recreate. But GD could easily compete with the "next tier up" RVs with some relatively small changes that wouldn't cost a ton to implement. Because there's such a gap in price between GD and the next level up, seems there would be a lot of margin for them as well.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLight View Post
    Lead acid batteries are hazardous and require special permits to transport in bulk.
    I know, every car has one...
    Putting a battery in an RV hardly falls under bulk transport. When RVs are shipped, the hauler provides their own battery for brake system backup, and then removes it once delivered, it is then the dealers responsibility to install a new battery for the customer.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob+Kath View Post
    To KB0ZKE from KF9ZT.

I did a complete post on this, but I can't find it here. These are a few pictures of what I did. It's just high enough to be above most car roofs and in the line of sight.

Attachment 45088
    Attachment 45089

Not sure why the last one is sideways.

Rob
    Is this the one? https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post287718
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a little slow on the response, but yes that was the post.
    Thanks Soundsailor, I could not find it.

Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 F350 CCSB SRW, w/Demco Autoslide.
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would pay for the option of rodent proofing the underbelly of the camper.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast