User Tag List

Fireside Member RazorbackRollin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Squirrel chewed a hole in propane line! Ideas?

Just over the sewer connect there is a propane distribution hub. A new friend in the woods chewed a small hole in the propane line for which we have determined is either the water heater or the furnace. I realize it needs to be completely replaced. BUT we are way up in the Tennessee mountains. We have electric heat and a cook top. The hole is in a bend in the hose easy to get to, but it want be easy to replace the whole run. Is there a safe temporary fix? 22mle xls 2021. Splice etc.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorbackRollin View Post
    Just over the sewer connect there is a propane distribution hub. A new friend in the woods chewed a small hole in the propane line for which we have determined is either the water heater or the furnace. I realize it needs to be completely replaced. BUT we are way up in the Tennessee mountains. We have electric heat and a cook top. The hole is in a bend in the hose easy to get to, but it want be easy to replace the whole run. Is there a safe temporary fix? 22mle xls 2021. Splice etc.
    When you say "Cooktop" do you mean you have an electric cooktop?

If you have electric heat and an electric cook top as well as electricity for your refrigerator and water heater, then you should be fine if you turn off the Propane and simply enjoy the rest of your stay.

The problem comes if you need your Propane for a critical need, like the furnace, or refrigerator.

If you can't live without your Propane then you might be able to trace the damaged hose to where it connects with the Propane system and disconnect it and find a hardware store or Propane supplier that might have a cap (don't forget to get the correct [yellow] Teflon tape for gas lines) that you can install where that damaged line connects.

We have had problems with critters going after our water hose, consequently, we always put out a small stainless steel dish of water for the critters whenever we set up camp. Until now, we would not have put it out if we were Boondocking, but now, I think we will begin putting it out whenever we Boondock as well.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are fine as for enjoying our week/month but we use the propane when rolling to keep our frig cold. We have a gas and a portable electric cook top. And a space heater.I try to plan for everything but chewy the squirrel was not part of the plan.lol I will find a hardware store today. Thanks for responding.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could get a barb to barb coupler in the proper size and a couple of hose clamps to do a repair. As long as this on the propane low pressure side you should have no problem getting it to seal well enough for a temporary fix.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree ^^^^ cut it and splice it back together. Get a right angle fitting if that makes it easier in the bend.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougW9876 View Post
    You could get a barb to barb coupler in the proper size and a couple of hose clamps to do a repair. As long as this on the propane low pressure side you should have no problem getting it to seal well enough for a temporary fix.
    This. It's either 3/8" or 1/2", probably 1/2" I.D.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Squirrel stew?
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorbackRollin View Post
    We are fine as for enjoying our week/month but we use the propane when rolling to keep our frig cold. We have a gas and a portable electric cook top. And a space heater.I try to plan for everything but chewy the squirrel was not part of the plan.lol I will find a hardware store today. Thanks for responding.
    How long will you be rolling? Your fridge will remain cold for two or more hours if it is not opened. If you are going to. E rolling longer, you could freeze a few water bottles and place them in the fridge before you leave this will easily keep things cold for four hours give or take.

Your freezer should be okay for up to four hours while you are traveling.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone I got a barb to barb 3/8 coupler and 2 small hose clamps cleaned the hose put it back together. Turned the gas on put soapy water on the joint. No leaks. I'll keep a eye on it until we get back home. Thanks again for all the ideas and support.