User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep the tow police here.
    Drive over payload capacity and get in an accident and your insurance may drop you or find you personally at fault ( I do this for a liviing)

Giving people incorrect information or popoing following the perscribef limits is irresponsible
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    Yep the tow police here.
    Drive over payload capacity and get in an accident and your insurance may drop you or find you personally at fault ( I do this for a liviing)

Giving people incorrect information or popoing following the perscribef limits is irresponsible
    This is the norm here and another site I frequent.

We owned a 2500RL and towed with a GMC Denali 3500 SRW SB. I might have considered a 2500, but not a 1/2 ton.
    Bill & Rachel
    2021 GMC Sierra 3500HD DRW
    2023 Host Everest
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL—( No longer own ).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Is he over capacity?
    He might be. You and I both have a GMC 1500. Mine being a 2020 with all the towing options and less bells and whistles. When I looked for a truck back then the GMC had the highest payload and towing capacity properly equipped.

As I have mentioned in other posts....I would have upgraded to a GMC 2500 but today....the costs is quite prohibitive. If he is going to do a lot of hills etcetera and can upgrade to a 2500 then that is what I would recommend. Having said this I note that there are a lot of 1500's towing trailers at their capacities without major issues as long as they have been beefed up a bit to do so....i.e. better shocks, maybe a RAS, air shocks and real 10 ply tires. Won't increase your capacities but will certainly improve the towing experience.

It is noteworthy to mention that I am within all my capacities as determined at the scales and posted labels. The tow police won't throw me in jail!!! RV Sailor that is. I do not travel with liquids in tanks and if I did I would still be within my capacities as the tanks are in the mid and rear and should not (except for the rear black tank) affect the tongue weight that is currently near 1025lbs give or take depending if the bikes and on or off.

One should never knowingly tow over capacities. My issue is all the bosses clothing!
    Last edited by Petrovsky; 03-10-2023 at 09:09 PM.
    Pierre & Tara

2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
    1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the same rig and tow with a 2500 Silverado (gas engine). More than enough truck for the 2500RL. We upgraded from an F150 but never towed this TT with it. I knew I would be on the edge of the trucks capacity (if not over) and just felt better about getting something a little bigger because we do some long distance trips and get up into the mountains. I never tow with full tanks on the TT. On the 2500RL I believe the freshwater tank is ahead of the axles which tends to add to the hitch weight when full. We don't do a lot of boon docking (actually none) water is always available at the camp sites we book so why haul it. If you're doing relatively short trips on more or less flat roads then you'll probably be ok, Ive seen other people tow these with half ton trucks. Just know the risks and drive safely. If you can swing it and camping with a TT is in your long term plans then you might want to consider going up to a 3/4 ton truck sometime in the future.

Just my 2 cents worth
    Enjoy!
    Bill and Nancy from SC
    2021 Imagine 2500RL
    2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Loaded, the tongue weight on the 2500RL will be in the 940 lbs. neighborhood. Enter all your numbers in here and see what you find:

https://changingears.com/weight-calc...ht-calculator/

Then, read all the way through this thread:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ing-Capability

Rob
    Agree Rob, our Imagine 2250RK hits the 770-800 lbs area loaded
    Mark & Lyne
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    2017 Audi Q7 Premium Plus with factory tow package - 2 sway controllers
    TT Ready for boondocking with solar installed on roof

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also tow a 2500RL with a Chevy 2500HD and wouldn't even consider a 1/2/ton. the extra capacity gives me much peace of mind

Good luck with your decision and be safe
    2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    2022 Imagine 2500RL

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our first camper, of another brand, was very similar to a 2500RL in size and weight and our 1/2 ton crew cab (Ford SCREW, 5.0, 3:73) handled it quite well, and was within all the limits. My payload capacity was 1675 and all things added up came in at 1650ish. The towing experience was comfortable and I don't recall ever having a "white knuckle moment".
    After we traded for the 2970RL, I tried to "make" the 1/2 ton work, but just wasn't meant to be. (air bags, sway bar, ...) The towing experience screamed "bigger truck"

If the numbers (tongue weight/gross weight/axle capacities...) are in the "legal" range, then the towing experience can be used to determine if the truck / camper are a good match.
    I found the weight worksheet linked earlier in this thread to be very valuable.
    Last edited by Pap and Mimi; 03-14-2023 at 11:11 AM.
    2019 2970RL
    2020 F250

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2021 2500RL that we tow with a 2013 F150 ecoboost with Max Tow Pkg and a payload of 1919#. Our Imagine had a shipping weight of 6,060#. We towed it 6,500 miles from Yuma, AZ to Skagway, AK and back this past summer. The loaded trailer weight was right at 7,000# with a tongue weight of 875#. We usually travel with about 10 gallons of fresh water. It towed just fine with the Equalizer WDH. When we purchased the trailer we had a 2013 Tahoe for a tow vehicle. Our first trip with it was to Yellowstone from Yuma. Plenty of power but the shorter wheelbase (116" vs 133") made for many White Knuckle moments. You should be Ok with your setup as long as you don't fill up the truck bed with bikes, grilles, firewood, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12