User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2023 Imagine 2500RL and tow vehicle question

Hello everyone,

I apologize for another question and input thread on the already debated topic haha. We are about to purchase a 2023 Imagine 2500RL possibly next weekend but I have some concerns about specifically the tongue weight on the 2500RL loaded. I know I will be super close on my payload, rear axle and GVWR but this will be our first RV so I have no idea what peoples actually "loaded or camping weights are". Here are my tow vehicle specs:

2020 ford F150 XLT sport 3.5L ecoboost 3.31 gear ratio
    supercrew cab 145" wheelbase

GVWR 7000
    Payload 1771
    Front GAWR 3450
    Rear GAWR 3800
    Hitch receiver capacity 1160 with WDH
    GCWR 16,100

The Imagine 2500RL has a dry tongue weight of 581 but when you add propane and a second battery will be im guessing 730 ish? We are a family of 4 with a dog which means with just us in the truck say 600 pounds. add 100 lbs for the hitch and 100 for generator in back of the truck and if I and thinking correctly we will be close to ratings with an empty trailer? The questions I guess I have for anyone who can chime in are and I know its diff with everyone and how you pack but what is your trailer loaded weight, your loaded tongue weight, what do you tow with and how does it tow. Also is your tongue weight closer to the 13% or 15%.

Like I said sorry for another post on this topic but just need some info before we purchase possibly next weekend, any info would be awesome.

Thanks,

Jesse

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loaded, the tongue weight on the 2500RL will be in the 940 lbs. neighborhood. Enter all your numbers in here and see what you find:

https://changingears.com/weight-calc...ht-calculator/

Then, read all the way through this thread:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ing-Capability

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2023 Imagine 2500RL and tow vehicle question

There is no question you will be over or very close. Take your truck to a cat scale loaded with everything and everyone that will be camping and weigh it. The payload sticker is as it left the factory only.
    Have you ever towed before?
    Last edited by NB Canada; 02-27-2023 at 10:16 AM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Loaded, the tongue weight on the 2500RL will be in the 940 lbs. neighborhood. Enter all your numbers in here and see what you find:

https://changingears.com/weight-calc...ht-calculator/

Then, read all the way through this thread:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ing-Capability

Rob
    So somewhere between 900-1000 lbs seems about where it would be then if your saying 940. does your 940 include fresh water and is that packing relatively light, avg or heavy just so I can kind of gauge.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Bradburn View Post
    So somewhere between 900-1000 lbs seems about where it would be then if your saying 940. does your 940 include fresh water and is that packing relatively light, avg or heavy just so I can kind of gauge.
    The fresh water tank on these rigs tends to be over the axles - or slightly behind - so doesn't figure into tongue weight normally. The rule of thumb (if you read through the thread I linked) is 12 - 13% of the trailer's GVWR for an estimated loaded tongue weight. If you have to worry about "packing relatively light" (very few can truly accomplish this) and on-board water, you need to look for a lighter trailer or a bigger tow vehicle. You can probably tow it with your truck, but it wouldn't be a comfortable towing experience (and you'd have your family on board to think about).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Bradburn View Post
    You want the TW to be as heavy as you can get it

I intentionally load up the front to make it heavy

What other people do doesn’t really matter.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    There is no question you will be over or very close. Take your truck to a cat scale loaded with everything and everyone that will be camping and weigh it. The payload sticker is as it left the factory only.
    Have you ever towed before?
    I do know the payload sticker is as it left, I have already subtracted the bed cover 60 lbs and spray in liner and about 30 lbs of stuff under the seat in my paper calculations I have done here. I do have lots of experience towing so its not me being worried about the size of it. Just more concerned about damaging the truck if were over the ratings as far as GVWR and axle ratings and also how how it tows with being close to the max ratings.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why tow at max or worry about every 5 extra lbs

If you get in N accident and insurance finds you over payload capacity it will affect your ability to purchase insurance and may affect your responsibility in the accident (btw I investigate insurance claims)

As far as damage to the truck, you will not b able to find long term damage as it may be a function over time at stressing the suspension.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tow police will tell you need a one ton dually to safely pull a tent trailer. If you’re not over capacity and drive like a normal person you’re going to be just fine.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FjClay View Post
    The tow police will tell you need a one ton dually to safely pull a tent trailer. If you’re not over capacity and drive like a normal person you’re going to be just fine.
    Is he over capacity?
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast