User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to Us, 2020 Solitude 380FL-R, things to check

My wife and I will be picking up our "new to us" 2020 380FL-R this weekend, it's a long story but even though this is a 2020, it has never been to a campground and is in EXCELLENT condition. I was wondering if everyone could share some tips as to what I should check once I get it home and parked.

Here are my thoughts so far:
    1) We will be attending the Tennessee Rally in a few months and expect to have any recalls taken care of at that time.
    2) I also am looking at getting a F450 dually to replace my current F250 tow vehicle.
    3) From some reading on the forum this morning, I'm thinking I should check and see if the 50 to 80amp circuit breaker has been changed
    4) What about the hydraulic fluid, should it be okay or would you change it out?
    5) It has had very little towable mileage, the tires still have the little "nubs" on the treads. I'm thinking the wheel bearings should still be well greased but will defer to you wise maintenance folks.
    6) The 380 has been under a roof for most all of its life and its roof is in great shape.

Anything else would be most appreciated!
    2020 Solitude 380FL-R
    2019 Ford F-350 DRW
    B&W Companion Hitch

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cottonakin View Post
    My wife and I will be picking up our "new to us" 2020 380FL-R this weekend, it's a long story but even though this is a 2020, it has never been to a campground and is in EXCELLENT condition. I was wondering if everyone could share some tips as to what I should check once I get it home and parked.

2) I also am looking at getting a F450 dually to replace my current F250 tow vehicle.

Umm does that mean you are going to tow this trailer with your current truck?
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Umm does that mean you are going to tow this trailer with your current truck?
    Yes, I will be bringing it home using my current truck. I don't want this thread turning into a Tow Vehicle discussion as I know the F250 isn't optimal and that is why I stated that I will be getting a dually. Remember that the 380FL is empty and I have looked at all of the specs on both the camper and TV. Thanks.
    2020 Solitude 380FL-R
    2019 Ford F-350 DRW
    B&W Companion Hitch

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I will be bringing it home using my current truck. I don't want this thread turning into a Tow Vehicle discussion as I know the F250 isn't optimal and that is why I stated that I will be getting a dually. Remember that the 380FL is empty and I have looked at all of the specs on both the camper and TV. Thanks.
    Will it not be overloaded though?
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) We will be attending the Tennessee Rally in a few months and expect to have any recalls taken care of at that time.
    3) From some reading on the forum this morning, I'm thinking I should check and see if the 50 to 80amp circuit breaker has been changed
    4) What about the hydraulic fluid, should it be okay or would you change it out?
    5) It has had very little towable mileage, the tires still have the little "nubs" on the treads. I'm thinking the wheel bearings should still be well greased but will defer to you wise maintenance folks.
    6) The 380 has been under a roof for most all of its life and its roof is in great shape.

3) F450 is probably overkill for this 5th wheel, but just depends on price. A 1-ton dually would do the job just fine if the 450 is really high. I'm frugal.
    4) I wouldn't mess with the hydraulic fluid, it doesn't go bad. Maybe some anti-stiction fluid if the legs start to "snap".
    5) Don't assume anything about the condition of the bearings without actually looking at them. There's no guarantee that the bearings have been greased properly from the factory. Pull and verify. Once you're sure things are tickety-boo with the bearings, you'll be good for a couple years, unless you travel big miles. IMO of course.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    3) F450 is probably overkill for this 5th wheel, but just depends on price. A 1-ton dually would do the job just fine if the 450 is really high. I'm frugal.
    4) I wouldn't mess with the hydraulic fluid, it doesn't go bad. Maybe some anti-stiction fluid if the legs start to "snap".
    5) Don't assume anything about the condition of the bearings without actually looking at them. There's no guarantee that the bearings have been greased properly from the factory. Pull and verify. Once you're sure things are tickety-boo with the bearings, you'll be good for a couple years, unless you travel big miles. IMO of course.
    Thank you sir, good suggestions, everyone please keep them coming!
    2020 Solitude 380FL-R
    2019 Ford F-350 DRW
    B&W Companion Hitch

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    3) F450 is probably overkill for this 5th wheel
    Wait! What?? Is that a thing?
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    Wait! What?? Is that a thing?
    Well, overkill as far as price is concerned.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Will it not be overloaded though?
    Any F250 that is not a regular Cab 4x2 with an 8 ft bed will be significantly overloaded on placarded payload with the 380FL-R. Remember, “towing capacity” is usually meaningless with 5th wheels. Payload is always the limiting factor. We’ve got a 2021 380FL-R. (Great 5er - we really like it.). But, it is BIG. The truck (RAM 3500 diesel dually) looks like a toy in front of it. Ours came from the factory at 3,350 pin weight so, unless you have a regular cab 8 ft. bed F250 with only the driver, a lightweight hitch, and nothing else in the bed, you probably will be overloaded. If you have a short trip with no steep down grades, little or no wind, no slick roads, and keep the speed down, you could be OK. Just don’t have an accident or insurance could be an issue.

As far as checking the RV, there is nothing particularly different from any other 5er. We haven’t had any issues with ours yet other than the sheet metal screws on the metal fender skirting coming loose. These screws, about 1” long, were hanging loose just in front of the tire. Could have caused a flat. I put rubber washers on the screws to keep them from vibrating out and will replace them with bolts and nylon lock nuts. I would check those before you start on the trip home.

The other think I would check is the lug nut torque. Early editions of the manual for the Solitudes for 2020 and 2021 had lug nut torque way too high - in the 200 ft. lb range. This has since been corrected to 130 ft. lb. The previous owner may have over torqued the nuts based upon the incorrect manual. I would back them off a touch and retorque them. You won’t have to jack it up if you don’t back them off too much. Also, take a good breaker bar and a deep well socket with you in case you have to change a tire. Take at least a 6-ton jack. Anything less won’t lift the axle. I carry a 12-ton.

You are going to love this RV. The storage space is spectacular. The rear pull-out tray is very nice for bicycles or kayaks.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an update for everyone. We now have our 380FL-R sitting home right where it should be. The trip home with the F250 was absolutely without any incident. The only difference towing the 380FL was that I had to inflate my airbags about 15-20 lbs higher than I did with the Reflection. The Solitude was totally level, we had a beautiful day and life is good. Now to get to checking everything that you have suggested, thanks again everyone!

On a slightly different note, we are picking up a "new to us" F350 DRW this weekend.
    2020 Solitude 380FL-R
    2019 Ford F-350 DRW
    B&W Companion Hitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast