User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Storing Solar panels during the summer

Hey ya'll,
    I'm headed to Brazil for a few months and am storing my 395 MS-R here in California for the summer months, probably until August or so.
    Whats the best way to store the solar panels? I've never had them before and read some things that said to cover them with plywood but that was for winter months.

also, what kind of maintenance do these dudes need?

Thanks a lot

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidGabriel View Post
    Hey ya'll,
    I'm headed to Brazil for a few months and am storing my 395 MS-R here in California for the summer months, probably until August or so.
    Whats the best way to store the solar panels? I've never had them before and read some things that said to cover them with plywood but that was for winter months.

Thanks a lot
    Store them? Are they not attached to the roof?

If they are not attached, anywhere you have room.

If they are attached, you should be just fine and just remove the battery(ies) or the negative cable from the battery(ies).
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidGabriel View Post
    Hey ya'll,

Thanks a lot
    What type of solar panels? OEM? Physical damage is really the only thing you need to protect them from. You won't have much degradation over a single summer. I'd have no issues leaving uncovered unless I was worried about physical damage (hail, trees, vandals, etc.). I would make sure a double throw breaker was in place and disconnected, though.

Maintenance is rather simple. Inspect for anything not right (bad seals, loose mounts, defects, cracks, etc.) and wash the panels. About it.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Store them? Are they not attached to the roof?

If they are not attached, anywhere you have room.

If they are attached, you should be just fine and just remove the battery(ies) or the negative cable from the battery(ies).
    Yes sorry I meant storing the RV with the solar panels on the roof.
    Awesome thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    What type of solar panels? OEM? Physical damage is really the only thing you need to protect them from. You won't have much degradation over a single summer. I'd have no issues leaving uncovered unless I was worried about physical damage (hail, trees, vandals, etc.). I would make sure a double throw breaker was in place and disconnected, though.

Maintenance is rather simple. Inspect for anything not right (bad seals, loose mounts, defects, cracks, etc.) and wash the panels. About it.

okay fantastic to know. thansk a lot guys that really helps

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kind of like that they keep my batteries charged during storage...
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue