User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Installation of Transfer Switch with Converter and Inverter

Installation help is needed on disconnecting/connecting my converter to a transfer switch (TS-50). The converter must be disconnected from the distribution panel and hardwired into the TS on the shore line side. This will eliminate having to manually switch off the converter when the inverter is turned on. My dilemma is how to correctly attach the proper wires of the converter into the TS. Am I suppose to splice the electrical plug of the converter that normally plugs into the distribution panel and wire it into the TS? Or, is there another way this is suppose to be accomplished? I am well aware of everything else that needs to be done, except the question(s) I'm raising. Thanks in advance for any response.

PS: I have a 2021 Reflection 303 RLS. It's pretty tight in the space/location around the converter, but it looks like the best spot to place the TS.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand what you are trying to accomplish. The simple answer is to hardwire it to the transfer switch. It would have to be spliced with the shore power in basically before the transfer switch. This would isolate the converter/charger. The problem is that the converter/charger needs to be on a circuit breaker not just hardwired. Without a circuit breaker you do risk a possible fire hazard.
    Have you thought of a converter/charger/inverter all in one like Xantrex Freedom XC pro 2000?
    hope this helps,
    Brian
    Brian and Lennette
    2018 GMC 2500 Duramax
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked at the TS50 installation manual. It doesn't talk about what you are trying to accomplish. Maybe some kind of subpanel on the shore power input side could work. I think it would be easiest to use an inverter that has a built in battery charger or just turn the converter breaker on and off as needed.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Brian, I’ll check out your response.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandC View Post
    Installation help is needed on disconnecting/connecting my converter to a transfer switch (TS-50). The converter must be disconnected from the distribution panel and hardwired into the TS on the shore line side. This will eliminate having to manually switch off the converter when the inverter is turned on. My dilemma is how to correctly attach the proper wires of the converter into the TS. Am I suppose to splice the electrical plug of the converter that normally plugs into the distribution panel and wire it into the TS? Or, is there another way this is suppose to be accomplished? I am well aware of everything else that needs to be done, except the question(s) I'm raising. Thanks in advance for any response.

PS: I have a 2021 Reflection 303 RLS. It's pretty tight in the space/location around the converter, but it looks like the best spot to place the TS.
    First off, it looks like you're new here @RolandC, welcome to the forum. The GD page for your coach lists "Inverter Prep" as a feature for your coach. My Reflection had the same. If you have that, then it is fairly straightforward to wire in your ATS. See my posts at https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post418175 and https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post427083
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Brian, I’ll check out your response.
    Thank you!
    @RolandC -

Welcome to the forum! Here are a few forum tips:

1) If you use "Reply With Quote" (to the right of "Reply") as I have here, folks will know to whom you are responding and that person will get a notification.

2) You can also tag folks using the "@" symbol and their user name (as I have done yours) - they'll also get a notification that way.

3) You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015