User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the roof & floor of the Reflection 150 series made of OSB?

I can't find any information directly from Grand Design but I heard that the roof and floor of the Reflection (I'm specifically looking at the 150 series) are made of OSB.
    Was this ever different? If an older unit doesn't have OSB, I guess I need to look at those. Or maybe the newer ones don't, but the older ones do?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    At least on mine roof is OSB on wood trusses. Floor other than pass through is laminated with insulation - you should be able to see this where plumbing penetrates under sinks to the belly. Floor in pass through is OSB. If you go to the GD web site they have diagrams of the construction of the 150 series.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theresa2 View Post
    I can't find any information directly from Grand Design but I heard that the roof and floor of the Reflection (I'm specifically looking at the 150 series) are made of OSB.
    Was this ever different? If an older unit doesn't have OSB, I guess I need to look at those. Or maybe the newer ones don't, but the older ones do?
    It might be different now, but when my 2019 28BH and all of the 150 series were being built it had a foam sandwich type floor. Being a full sized 6' 3" 300 pound person I make sure that I don't jump on it unless I want me feet to touch the ground.

This YouTube video shows what it looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wuh...V4Cs2&index=15

Kevin
    Kevin and Jennifer
    2016 RAM 3500 Laramie Mega Cab CTD Aisin 4x4 SRW
    2019 Reflection 28BH (Built 2/2019)
    - 78" Theater Seat, Second AC, Dual Pane Windows
    - Sailun 235/85 R16 Tires
    Blue Ox Super Ride BXR7200 with a Demco Factory Prep Bracket 6099

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with OSB. The orientation of the wood fibers (random) and the lamination make it stronger than old-fashioned plywood. It's not the same as MDF (medium densiity fiberboard or particle board, if that's what you're thinking).

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 03-01-2023 at 11:34 AM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are probably a few things to look at and worry about in the 150 series, OSB construction not being at the top of the list. And yes, I own one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 150 series Reflection needed to be lighter weight (to appeal to F150 owners), so Grand Design went with a laminated floor which is a Styrofoam core sandwiched in luan. If you go watch factory tour videos and they are building a 150 Reflection, you can see this anywhere they have cut holes in the floor for cable, water lines, etc. Use Google to find out how this floor design has worked out in the past. As you walk on it, the foam compresses so you end up with soft spots in high traffic areas over time. IMO, not intended for full time use.

FULL Reflections (models starting with a "3") have the same floor as Solitude, it is a one piece OSB floor product called Dynaspan. The pros are the sheet can be made in any length so there is zero waste, with it being one piece there is no chance for squeaks between the different panels like with plywood. The downside is, there is uncertainty about how it reacts to water intrusion especially at its edges. I found the company that makes Dynaspan and downloaded all their product papers and in all their shipping to manufacturer info, handling info etc they stress over and over to keep it away "from moisture". When building a home, your contractor picks whether they want to use OSB for the subfloors of your home, or plywood. Traditionally, plywood was preferred because when it got wet it would swell but would return to its original shape when it dried. OSB wouldn't. SO, if you put down OSB subfloors and it rained before you got the house dried in (the roof and walls up), then the contractor would have to pay to go in and sand down all the joints of the OSB floors to make them level before putting in the flooring. To combat this, a company (I can't think of the name) came up with a product that was improved in that area, and they even made it part of the "warranty" that if the edges swelled and needed sanding, they would pay for it. It is quite a bit more expensive. How does Dynaspan compare to that product? I have been unable to find that out. This is ALL the info I have to share on that subject, it is incomplete but moves the ball forward. The OSB in the floor (and roof) does not concern me too much (I would rather have plywood), but the foam core floor on the 150 is a deal break for ME. But, I am needing a full time rig and I weight over 250 pounds so my needs are specific to me.

To be honest, Grand Design not using Azdel in the walls (they still use Luan), them using pinch rolled lamination instead of vacuum bonding, and them mixing in some 1/2" vinyl hose in the plumbing which they use PEX clamps and fittings on (not size compatible so they are prone to leak) are bigger concerns. The rest of the industry is also finally moving away from Schwintech slides even for the bedroom slides and GD needs to as well IMO.

BUT, show me a single manufacturer that does everything right. Alliance also pinch rolls, uses foam core floors in their Avenue, and their rear walls are falling off. Pick your poison. It is like all of them get together and make sure that every one of them does SOMETHING in their manufacturing and materials selection that is a terrible idea. I am saddened by how many people on this forum are surprised and upset that their cabinets are not actual solid stained wood, but rather are a vinyl sticker wrap over a MDF/paper like product which is layered on the front and back of actual wood. That sticker comes off and it looks really bad. Water leak in a cabinet is really bad news as that paper/MDF layer falls apart. But they do that so the sticker has a smooth surface to stick to so it looks better. They use a sticker because using wood suitable for staining, then sanding and staining that much cabinetry would drive the cost of the unit beyond where Grand Design is priced (except maybe Solitude?). Weight is also a concern.
    Last edited by JeffFromDFW; 08-17-2023 at 01:12 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @JeffFromDFW

Great post! Well said.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with OSB. The orientation of the wood fibers (random) and the lamination make it stronger than old-fashioned plywood. It's not the same as MDF (medium densiity fiberboard or particle board, if that's what you're thinking).

Rob
    As a former carpenter, I agree that OSB is stronger than plywood, but the strands are not random (hence the O for Oriented in the name) so the the sheets are stronger in the longer dimension of the sheet so they should be laid with the long dimension perpendicular to the floor joists.
    Edited for clarity
    Last edited by alias100; 08-17-2023 at 03:41 PM.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2021 Ram 2500 Hemi, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2-206 AH SOK Batteries, Victron MultiPlus 3000VA Inverter, 800 watts solar