User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    To close out my thread, I got the left side bushings and equalizer replaced and the wheel bearings repacked. The left side electric drum brakes were ok. The bronze bushing in the left side rear axle spring eye to frame hanger was worn pretty good but was in better shape than the right side in the same location. All other bronze bushings on the left side were ok after 3 years and quarterly greasing.

For the left side work, I had one problem with replacing the bronze bushing in the front axle leaf spring eye at the equalizer. After removing the old bushing, I destroyed 2 new bushings trying to press a new one in the spring eye, it was really, really tight. I could see nothing in the spring eye that would cause the bushing to bind up but I used a rat tail file to clean out the spring eye, then the new bushing pressed in ok.

So after doing this work and seeing the condition of the old bronze bushings after 3 years and @ 17,000 miles with quarterly greasing, I have concluded, at least for our rig, bronze bushings will last at least 2.5 - 3 years, 17,000 - 20,000 miles.

I had to take some Tylenol extra strength after getting the work done, but we're good to go for another year on the wheel bearings and another 3 years depending on the mileage on the suspension bushings.
    old mechanics trick; put the bushings in the freezer for a few hours. they will contract and go in easier.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the follow-up. Good to know that some of the brass/bronze bushings are working okay. Mine looked good when I replaced them, and they were about 4 years old, but no idea on mileage. I'm thinking not a huge number of miles.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just found this thread, good information! I ended up replacing my factory leaf springs in the first year I owned my 2018 310GK. I replaced the factory bronze bushings when I replaced the brakes that were covered in grease with less than 1000 miles on them. However many miles from Indiana to Longmont, CO and then Longmont to Worland, WY. My brakes didn't work at all when I picked up the trailer. Service manager told me they need to break in. B.S. When I had the brakes apart I upgraded my shackes to MoreRyde heavy duty and that is when I found that most of my spring eyes were not round. Several of my bronze bushings were broken and the others were worn through. GD wasn't much help offering to send me new bushings. I replaced the springs on my dime. The replacement springs had better quality eyes, but I think 4000 lb springs will be a bigger improvement since mine are going flat again. I like the fact that the 4000 lb spring has the second leaf as long as the first leaf, this adds support and helps prevent breaking the main leaf. I searched a lot when I replaced my springs but I couldn't locate 4000 lb springs that were the proper length. I even contacted some spring shops to see about getting a custom set made. I ultimately purchased another set of 3500 lb springs and installed new bronze bushings. I typically lube my wet bolts after every long trip. Most of our trips are to Montana and around 600 miles round trip.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just read the reviews on etrailer for the 4000 lb dexter leaf springs and they are made in China. Pretty disappointed in that for the price. After looking everywhere I could think, the Dexter spring is the only spring I could find that would fit the bill. It appears the Lippert spring has been discontinued. Other 4000 lb springs I found had a 26 inch eye to eye measurement that is too long. I did find one other spring with a 24 7/8 measurement that is 8 leafs and has a 4500 lb rating, but it is around 270.00 each and probably overkill. Looks like I will stay with the 3500 lb springs for now and if needed replace them for 1/3 price of the Dexters.
    Last edited by Nuffsaid; 01-11-2024 at 11:45 PM.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad my physical suffering last year rebuilding our Solitudes leaf spring suspension provided some information for everyone. Last year after doing all the work we only traveled some 5341 towed miles. We ended up spending a lot of time stationary last year, family issues. The rig towed great all last year for our trip out southwest with no problems and on some pretty rough highways. I always eyeball the suspension and tires throughout the year but come April I'll be end depth inspecting the suspension again making sure we are ready to go for 2024.

Happy traveling to Y'all !
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
    I just read the reviews on etrailer for the 4000 lb dexter leaf springs and they are made in China. Pretty disappointed in that for the price. After looking everywhere I could think, the Dexter spring is the only spring I could find that would fit the bill. It appears the Lippert spring has been discontinued. Other 4000 lb springs I found had a 26 inch eye to eye measurement that is too long. I did find one other spring with a 24 7/8 measurement that is 8 leafs and has a 4500 lb rating, but it is around 270.00 each and probably overkill. Looks like I will stay with the 3500 lb springs for now and if needed replace them for 1/3 price of the Dexters.
    Be aware that not all places list the measurement of the springs the same way. Some will list a spring that measures 24 7/8" unloaded as 26". Which is what they measure when loaded. No consistency. This is what I discovered when I was researching springs a year ago.
    Howard and Peggy

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Be aware that not all places list the measurement of the springs the same way. Some will list a spring that measures 24 7/8" unloaded as 26". Which is what they measure when loaded. No consistency. This is what I discovered when I was researching springs a year ago.
    Good to know, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on etrailer for the dexter springs for 178.00 with free shipping. I also ordered 8 new ubolts and I ordered them 9 inch long, because I might add a 1 inch block to get the trailer level with my truck. The trailer has always sat nose high and I don't dare go any closer to the bed of the truck, so 1 inch thicker spring plus a 1 inch thick block should be perfect. I might have to build some new center bolts for the new springs and machine up the new blocks. I also order 16 new bronze bushings from amazon for 28.00 shipped, etrailer is a little proud of their bushings. I will feel better with new springs again since the old ones have achieved the W stance. I like having a little safety margin in the springs and I like having the second leaf fully support the main leaf, it makes the main leaf less likely to fatigue and break. Now when temps get up to around 50 degrees I will install these, might be a while, LOL -11F outside right now!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you did go with the 3,500 lb. rated springs?
    Howard and Peggy

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    So you did go with the 3,500 lb. rated springs?
    No, I went with the 4000 lb springs because in my opinion the 3500 lb springs aren't up to the task. I debated the 4500 lb springs that I found, but that moves the failure point to the frame rails that really aren't reinforced properly. The only manufacturer that I have seen that makes a good trailer frame that is reinforced properly is Northwood and their Arctic Fox. Frame thickness is much heavier and there are full length stiffeners that go fom bottom flange to top flange above every spring hanger. The exact same way that structural steel buildings are constructed.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Food for thought, just when you think that the same model will have the same parts, think again. The OP stated that his research showed 1/2 inch diameter U bolts for the springs. Well, I started to do the right thing and grabbed a 3/4 socket to test fit on a u bolt nut, but with the temp being -15F I said screw it I will just order 9 inch long 1/2 inch u bolts. So I ordered 8-9inch long 1/2 inch ubolts and while I was disassembling my springs 3 days ago I noticed that my u bolt nuts were not 3/4 they were instead 7/8, hence I have 9/16 u bolts. I had ordered the u bolts from General Spring out of Kansas and as I expected they are probably custom made and not returnable. Sooooo, if anyone needs some high quality 1/2 inch ubolts for a 3 inch diameter axle, let me know! I have since ordered 8 more 9/16 ubolts that are also 9 inches long and I am planning on adding a 1 inch thick steel block to raise the rear of my trailer to make it tow a little more level. I am nose high right now, but I don't dare lower the pin height because I am less than desired clearance from my bed already. Raising the rear of the trailer should have little to no effect on the height of the front a/c unit either. For now it is all back together with the 24 7/8 4000 lb Dexter springs. I bought the springs from etrailer and right off the bat when I removed the nylon bushings to install the bronze bushings I noticed that spring eyes were oblong at the exact worst place, right where the load from the spring bolt would be placed. I contacted etrailer and the reply I got was the springs were designed with nylon bushings! i call B.S. they did offer me a 10% discount but with inflation amounted to a 5% discount from when this thread started. The springs were listed at 194.00 on etrailer when I first looked at them, then a day later an add popped up on my computer at 178.00, so I bought them. 3500 lb springs can be bought all day long for about 60.00! By the way, these Dexter springs are made in china! Anyway, I filled the void in each spring eye with JB weld and then pressed in the new bronze bushing and let them cure for 48 hours. When I went to install them I ran a 9/16 drill bit through each bushing to round them out and remove any JB weld residue. A couple bushings required a little metal removal because the eye might have been a bit tight, but I think this repair will work. My old springs were probably 5 years old and looked tired. The bronze bushings were in surprisingly good condition. None were worn through and only one had cracks, probably from a out of round spring eye. The bushings on my lipert equalizers were in good conditon and the rubbers were acceptable, so they can stay for now. Next project after I replace the short ubolts will be to add some angle iron side to side braces that will tie the spring hangers together from side to side. I inspected all of my spring hangers and didn't see any signs of cracks being started, so that is good. Maybe some of our ice and snow will melt some more so I can work on a clean dry concret slab instead of on ice and in water! I did reuse my 9/16 ubolts temporarily and I was able to get within 1/16 inch of a full nut and fully torque the ubolts. I might add a word of caution when shopping for ubolts. Make sure they are Grade 5 bolt material minimum! I had placed an order for some ubolts off of amazon and when reading the reviews I found that the steel was soft and the threads were easily damaged, not good. I cancelled that order immediately and sourced out a better supplier that uses grade 5 steel.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast