User Tag List

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    So I got the MORryde CRE 3000 and shackle kit and bushings ordered, be here in a few days. I decided against the SRE4000. As I said in the above post the rig has handle great for the last three years all over America so I see no reason to change from the existing suspension type or install mods for the sake of installing mods, or if it really doesn't need it or for only one more year of product warranty. Only exception is swapping out the EquaFlex for MORryde. I like MORryde and I'm sticking with them.

Now as for the leaf springs, I took another look at them this morning and I've decided they are ok and I am going to run them for another year. See pics. I'll order a spare spring and have it on hand just in case, but I'll run on the stock 3500# springs for another year.

Besides when I was looking at springs, I thought if I was going to change all four I would go up to 4000# springs of the same measurements. Well it seems they are not readily available except from a few places and a lot of the aftermarket web sites like Etrailer go back to those same few suppliers like Dexter and Lippert. Etrailer is temporally back ordered for 4000# springs 26" loaded 24 7/8 unloaded, 1.75 width 7 leaf. Lippert was going to get back to me on availability but haven't yet. Seems like the 4000# springs are kind of an odd ball double eye spring. Also a lot of sites want you to go to slipper springs to get 4000# springs, well I'm not going to do that. But lots of places have the 3500# springs.

So new bushings bolts nuts shackles and MORryde equalizer and a single spare 3500# spring and spare U bolts just in case it is.
    Check with Iron Bear out of Denver CO on the springs https://ironbeartrailer.com Ask for Brad
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    When I tried to replace my 3,500 lb. springs with 4,000 lb. springs, I ran into the same shortages. I finally ended up getting them from Lippert, but it was close to when we were going to leave and I was sweating bullets they would arrive on time. I was thinking the shortage had eased and they were easier to get. But yeah, it seemed many of the 4,000 lb. springs were slipper springs, with the double eye in the minority.

Those springs don't look too bad, maybe one is sketchy, but overall not needing immediate replacement.
    Lippert got back to me and said 4 springs 4000# would ship in 5 days then @ 5 days for delivery. So I guess they have access to them from somewhere.

@geotex1 that's really the kicker isn't it? What kind of springs is a person getting from wherever you ordered them from. I suppose you could think if you pay a higher price for them, they are better quality? Nah, you and I know price doesn't always equate to quality. But really I have no idea where the stock springs came from on the rig now, Lippert sure because they built the RV chassis, but where did they get them from?

Well you pay your money, you take your chance?
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Lippert got back to me and said 4 springs 4000# would ship in 5 days then @ 5 days for delivery. So I guess they have access to them from somewhere.

@geotex1 that's really the kicker isn't it? What kind of springs is a person getting from wherever you ordered them from. I suppose you could think if you pay a higher price for them, they are better quality? Nah, you and I know price doesn't always equate to quality. But really I have no idea where the stock springs came from on the rig now, Lippert sure because they built the RV chassis, but where did they get them from?

Well you pay your money, you take your chance?
    All of Lippert springs are China. Dexter is making more and more in Texas. Iron Bear is a Dexter dealer and has excellent pricing - might be worth a call.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Steven@147 what @powerscol said! Aside, the custom packs I had made were built in the USA with steel produced in Canadian mills.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI, short video on how the spring eye hole is formed.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/nYqQecy45WQ

Dustin
    Dustin and Doris

2018 2600RB
    2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toolman.dustin View Post
    FYI, short video on how the spring eye hole is formed.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/nYqQecy45WQ

Dustin
    That's cool. Looks like it would be so easy to put a steel bushing in the bend to accommodate the bronze bushings. that way you are guaranteed a good fit for the bronze bushing.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well yesterday I got the right side suspension rebuilt. I last replaced the bronze bushings and wet bolts 3 years and 17000 miles ago and I have greased the wet bolts every quarter for those 3 years and miles.

I will probably get to detailed on how I did this work for a lot of you that have done this before but for owners that haven't it may be of some use. To start the process the rig was already leveled using the ground control 3.0 electric leveling system.
    I went to manual mode on the electric leveling controller, I raised the right landing gear a few inches, then raised the right rear leveling jack a few inches alternating back and forth until Wife Tami told me the right wheels were just off the ground. Then I placed a 2x12x12 inches under the mid leveling jack to take up the gap caused by raising the front and rear leveling jacks.

I had bought a 2x12x12 for $17 at a local lumber yard and cut 12 inch pieces and used 5 stacked and screwed together then placed my 6 ton jack stand on the stack and under the rear frame. Then used another 6 ton jack stand and stacked 2x12s under the frame forward of the tires.
    Next I placed two 3 ton hydraulic jack/stand under the U-Bolts of each axle and raised them just a little to take the weight off the leaf springs. I cut a 2x4 to length and placed it between the axles and used a ratchet strap around the axles so they wouldn't move when I took everything apart.

Now I have the rig right side raised blocked and supported, its solid. I started with replacing the rear axle end leaf spring bushing at the frame hanger. Loosened the wet bolt nut to the end of the bolt threads and hit with a hammer to drive the knurled head out of the hanger, then removed the wet bolt. Let the rear axle down just enough for the rear leaf spring eye to clear the frame hanger. There was just a sliver of a bronze bushing left, not even enough to show you holy cow!

The new bronze pre-greased bushing is a little loose in the eye but used a large "C" clamp to press the bushing in the eye. Raised the axle up and the eye was lined up with the frame hanger hole. I had previously marked each of the wet bolt heads where the grease hole is so I could clock them to the 3 or 9 o'clock position when inserting. Put the new pre-greased wet bolt in, used my "C" clamp to draw the frame hanger together, to make sure the wet bolt end shoulder protrudes through the hanger.
    Used an impact deep socket on the bolt head over the zerk fitting and drove the wet bolt knurled end into the hanger. Snugged up the new nut but didn't torque it yet. Time to move on to the front axle end eye and frame hanger..............
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mar suspen work.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven@147; 03-16-2023 at 08:28 AM. Reason: additional
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the front axle forward end eye bushing replacement, I followed the same procedure. The front axle forward spring eye bushing was worn down a little but still in good shape, drove out the old bushing, inserted the new and used the "C" clamp to press it into the eye. Raised the axle, holes lined up, inserted the wet bolt, clamped the hanger together, clocked the grease hole, drove in the bolt knurled head, and put the nut on. So far so good doing the job.

Now on to replacing the equalizer..... Raised the axle jacks to take the weight off the equalizer, unbolted the shackles, drove out the equalizer center bolt and removed. See above picture. The leaf spring bronze bushings at the equalizer in the spring eyes were still good, a little worn but in fine shape. Drove out the old spring eye bushings, pressed in the new. Placed the new MORryde equalizer in, new wet bolt inserted, clocked, and drove home bolt head to hanger and nutted.

Assembled the new MORryde HD shackles to the springs and equalizer, with a little fine tuning of the axle jacks, everything with the equalizer went back together easily. So far only one bad bushing.

The right side Equalflex was pretty worn and I think it was time to replace, its been installed since the rig was new in 2019. You can see the wet bolt that was in the rear axle spring end frame hanger.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4258.jpg   IMG_4263.jpg   IMG_4260.jpg   IMG_4259.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven@147; 03-16-2023 at 09:06 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now to repack the wheel bearings...... Remove the front axle drum, brakes look fine, removed the bearings, inspected, cleaned, repacked, reassembled with new grease seal and reinstalled.

Remove rear axle drum, forward brake shoe pad fell out on the ground....... OOPS! I just happen to have a complete right side Dexter spare brake assembly. cut the brake wires, removed 5 nuts and removed old brake assembly. New brake assembly installed, torque the new 5 nuts. Drum inspected ok, bearings cleaned, inspected, repacked and reinstalled with new grease seal to the hub, connected the brake wires and installed the tires, time to check brake function.

Backed truck up to the RV and connected the RV to the truck. I spun the tires, Wife Tami in the truck hit the brakes and each tire stopped, satisfied the brakes work fine and are adjusted correctly, time to set the RV back level.

Removed, jacks, stands and supports. On the ground control 3.0 controller, manual mode, lowered the right side of the rig landing gear and rear leveling jack, watching the controller display until "tilt' and "angle" are near .1 or .2. Then auto raised rear leveling jacks, then selected auto level. Rig auto leveled fine. Greased wet bolts again, torqued suspension wet bolt nuts to 40 ftlbs and torqued wheel lugs to 110 ftlbs. Right side job done in a little over 5 hours. Suspension rebuilt, wheel bearings repacked and one brake assembly replaced. One bad bushing so far after 3 years 17000 miles of use.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 03-16-2023 at 09:10 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To close out my thread, I got the left side bushings and equalizer replaced and the wheel bearings repacked. The left side electric drum brakes were ok. The bronze bushing in the left side rear axle spring eye to frame hanger was worn pretty good but was in better shape than the right side in the same location. All other bronze bushings on the left side were ok after 3 years and quarterly greasing.

For the left side work, I had one problem with replacing the bronze bushing in the front axle leaf spring eye at the equalizer. After removing the old bushing, I destroyed 2 new bushings trying to press a new one in the spring eye, it was really, really tight. I could see nothing in the spring eye that would cause the bushing to bind up but I used a rat tail file to clean out the spring eye, then the new bushing pressed in ok.

So after doing this work and seeing the condition of the old bronze bushings after 3 years and @ 17,000 miles with quarterly greasing, I have concluded, at least for our rig, bronze bushings will last at least 2.5 - 3 years, 17,000 - 20,000 miles.

I had to take some Tylenol extra strength after getting the work done, but we're good to go for another year on the wheel bearings and another 3 years depending on the mileage on the suspension bushings.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 03-23-2023 at 10:15 AM. Reason: additional

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast