Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auto Level

Quote Originally Posted by Starman View Post
    Has anyone run into this issue? Not all the time but probably at least half the time, the Auto Level feature sets my RV level but lifts some or all of the tires off the ground to achieve that. As I watch it process, it seems like it can't ever lower any of the jacks to achieve level, only continue raising them in an alternating fashion to get to level. So again the unit is level but somewhat shaky when you walk around in it when the tires are off the ground. I have not tried to recalibrate them as the system obviously recognizes what "level" is, just doesn't seem to be able to do anything but go up in terms of adjustments! Has anyone possibly tried manually getting their RV to the lowest possible level height, than recalibrating the leveling system? I'm unclear as to whether the leveling system considers the overall height of the unit in it's "determination" of needed adjustments. The unit is a Solitude 344 GK with Lippert hydraulic jacks. Would appreciate any insight anyone can offer.
    Check to make sure the rear sensor is firmly attached. It will be near the rear axle. Next, manually level the rig using a bubble level. Use a bubble level near the center of the rig on the floor left to right and then front to back. Then reset the "0". I have a 5" touch screen but your system may be different. If you have the touchscreen, there is a good youtube video on the topic. If you cannot find the link, let me know and I will search for it.

After reset of "0", when you arrive at a new site, level the rig left to right with leveling boards, wedges, etc. Then unhitch. Then level front to back with the front being a little low. For some reason it seems to work better this way. Then press "auto level" and hopefully it works. If not, interrupt the auto level and level manually. May have to do this periodically.

On my rig, the automatic leveling system worked great the first year. First trip out the second year it did not. I think that site was not particularly level. Ended up going to blocks and resetting "0" to get it to work.

Bet of luck.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same issue.

Similar to earlier posts, I always try to eyeball the front/back level before hitting auto level. I think that helps ‘some’. (I just bought a front/back leveling bubble for this purpose)

Otherwise, when it does happen, I manually raise the side above the ground a hair more, shove in a layer or two of leveling pads(depending on the gap), lower the entire rig, then hit auto level again. That has always fixed the situation.
    And it’s an indication that I probably should have right/left leveled with pads beforehand anyway.

Not a fun process after being on the road, but once you know how to address it, it’s much less stressful.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just let the Autolevel do its job. That's much less stressful. I've only had a tire or two off the ground a couple of times. I don't have the issue of leveling too high, that does sound like a calibration problem.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with huntindog. Our 5th wheel had the exact same issue and we knew nothing about it and had nothing but frustrations until we had to drop the belly for some work. Damn sensor fell right out…wasn’t connected nor screwed or level! Once fixed, it worked 100% every time!

Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    mine had the plastic screw holes in the rear sensor stripped.
    it was justfloating around in the underbelly.

check this BEFORE doing a zero reset.
    secured mine on it's bracket with long pop rivets. it has been flawless ever since

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone run into this issue?
    Many, including I.

Not all the time but probably at least half the time, the Auto Level feature sets my RV level but lifts some or all of the tires off the ground to achieve that. As I watch it process, it seems like it can't ever lower any of the jacks to achieve level, only continue raising them in an alternating fashion to get to level.
    That means your front "leg" adjustment may be close, but not quite there yet... the fix should be easy. Try lessening the length of the front stabilizers by one or two holes and the problem may resolve, or at least put you in the right direction. If not, then do it again, one hole at a time, until all tires remain firmly grounded and the Auto-level indicates the RV is level.

So again the unit is level but somewhat shaky when you walk around in it when the tires are off the ground. I have not tried to recalibrate them as the system obviously recognizes what "level" is, just doesn't seem to be able to do anything but go up in terms of adjustments!
    The "shaky" feeling exists if the tires are above ground because all or too much of the RV weight is being borne by the stabilizers (not good). For example, if there are four tires and four stabilizers, but the four tires are not solidly resting on the ground, the RVis relying upon just four of the eight available points of support/stabilization (not good).

Has anyone possibly tried manually getting their RV to the lowest possible level height, than recalibrating the leveling system? I'm unclear as to whether the leveling system considers the overall height of the unit in it's "determination" of needed adjustments.
    It is hoped not, as such would (at least partially) defeat the intended purpose of the stabilization/leveling system.

The unit is a Solitude 344 GK with Lippert hydraulic jacks. Would appreciate any insight anyone can offer.
    That is a very nice RV.

We experimented with the front leg adjustment on our (337RLS) 5th Wheel and found our "rule of thumb" is "6 holes showing... actually 5-1/2 holes, and that is with SnapPads on each of the four feet. Extending the front legs to that length setting provides a perfect (i.e., "It's dead nuts!") leveling of our RV every time. It has not been recalibrated since just prior to new delivery two years ago.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a GD 28BH with (previously a 2017 2500 ram with OEM air suspension) a 2022 2500 ram with OEM air suspension. I had the same problem and when unhooking (with air in the low mode) I had to lower the trailer with the lippert 3.0 controller and then use auto level. Unfortunately now the auto reconnect is disabled.....Before I could almost walk under the front of my trailer and sometimes it would be lifted off of the tires. Now, I never have an issue with the trailer leveled high or to the point of the wheels being off of the ground...... just my 2 cents.......
    Charlie and Sandy
    2018 28 BH Reflection
    2022 Ram Laramie CC 6.7 Cummins, pullrite superglide

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing wrong with one side being up. The tires aren't holding anything other than the weight of the axles once the hydraulics take the load off the leaf springs. Doesn't take much of a side to side slope of the ground for this to happen. I carry a couple lengths of 1x8 to get it closer to level before starting when necessary.
    2018 Solitude 375RES
    2019 Ford F450

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caution!

I didn’t see it mentioned but we learned the hard way. In our previous Reflection 337 and being new to the auto leveling system, we unhitched and hit the auto level. It raised all four wheels off the ground and beeped level. I thought it sure looked high off the ground. About that time it sounded like a bomb went off. The suspension on both axles had dropped and flipped. Long story short we were fortunate the campground host was familiar with it and knew how to flip them back over. So be cautious letting tires on the same axle raise up off the ground. Something to watch for.
    2020 Solitude 2930RL
    2021 GMC Denali 3500HD Standard Bed
    B&W RVK3710 Hitch

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first time this happened to us, we were in a terrible KOA site in Dayton which was really on a side of a hill. I was watching off-door side when DW told me the wheels were way off the Andersen levelers while it was still trying to level. And since I was trying out the Compass Connect App, couldn't stop the leveling process because the app froze.

But, my nit with the auto-level is that it always raises side-to-side multiple times - never lowers. So the RV sits higher on the jacks then it needs to. For instance, in the leveling process, door side will go up, then off-door, then door side again rinse-repeat until it is happy but always raising never lowering. So I've resorted to putting blocks under front and rear jacks. And I have manually leveled at lowest height with a bubble to set zero point, but that doesn't seem to impact the auto-leveling algorithm - still raises higher than needed by repetitive up actions that really are unnecessary.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone run into this issue? Not all the time but probably at least half the time, the Auto Level feature sets my RV level but lifts some or all of the tires off the ground to achieve that. As I watch it process, it seems like it can't ever lower any of the jacks to achieve level, only continue raising them in an alternating fashion to get to level. So again the unit is level but somewhat shaky when you walk around in it when the tires are off the ground. I have not tried to recalibrate them as the system obviously recognizes what "level" is, just doesn't seem to be able to do anything but go up in terms of adjustments! Has anyone possibly tried manually getting their RV to the lowest possible level height, than recalibrating the leveling system? I'm unclear as to whether the leveling system considers the overall height of the unit in it's "determination" of needed adjustments. The unit is a Solitude 344 GK with Lippert hydraulic jacks. Would appreciate any insight anyone can offer.
    This question comes up a bit. I found out the very 1st trip hours after leaving the dealer, that auto level is NOT a push the botton and forget about it system. You actually need to level the rig as close as you can before running auto level. For me, that makes looking at side to side first with a 2ft level across the back and usually laying 2x4 blocking to drive one set of tires up on, if the site is not Really level to begin with. This also includes a pad for your stabilizing jacks as well. If your tires are elevated, your jacks should be also so every thing stays in sync. I then pay attention to level from front to back. If the site is stopped low in front and high in back, you may get errors when the rear stabilizer runs out of enough extension. Out of stroke is the common error. In the case of higher in back, laying some 2x4 blocking, or pad for the rear stabilizers to set on, fixes this issue. Once I get level close to within 1/2 a bubble side to side, I initiate auto level. Usually it turns out perfect. Sometimes it fails. In the case of error, its almost always the case where the rear jacks need some blocks. I just manually raise the rear jacks, slip a block in and press auto level again. What you NEVER want is any wheels off the ground! It's a great system. It just needs some help to get successful results.
    Alan and Paula
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS, 2004 Dodge 3500 5.9L
    Magnum 2k watt inverter-charger, 300 AH Battle Born battery bank, 560 watt solar power. 6K axles and disc brakes. Pepwave max transit cellular router.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast