User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We Are Almost Proud Owners of a GD Imagine and Have Extended Service Questions

Hello everyone,

My name is Brandon and my wife Michelle and I are about to be proud owners of a brand new 2023 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL.

We are very excited to sign off on all the paperwork next week and eventually take true ownership of our new camper when the snow melts. My wife Michelle and I live and have been camping in the Upstate New York Finger Lakes Region with our two children Lily and Anakin (yes we are Star Wars fans) for over a decade now. We started out with a tent, then bought our first used Coleman Pop-Up Camper that we quickly outgrew and upgraded to a used 2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS. Fast forward an amazing 9 years later of priceless family memories with lots of RV learning along the way and so we are so thrilled that we have decided to purchase a NEW travel trailer. After a lot of research, footwork and shock at how many modern amenities I have been missing out on as well as plenty of standing in showers and sitting on toilets and watching countless hours of the RV Nerd on YouTube. I can say for a fact that we did not have Grand Design on our radar until the minute I walked into one. Ultimately from that point on I know we made a confident "Grand Decision" to go with a "Grand Design".

Michelle and I are looking forward to the years of camping and adventures that await us and we look forward to hopefully meeting some of you along the way!

So for my first post in this forum I wanted to pick everyone's brain on the extended service contracts we are now being presented with from our dealer that we must make a decision on purchasing if any at all when we finalize the paperwork next week. I can honestly say my wife and I have never purchase anything completely brand new before in our lives so I did not know how much weight an extended warranty carries over the factory warranties we will have when it cones to buying something new vs used.

Obviously it is always a good idea to get extra coverage if it makes sense and it is affordable and has always made sense to me when purchasing second hand. But I am not sure the same consideration goes for buying brand new?

I am curious what your general thoughts are on purchasing extended service contracts right out of the gate wit a brand new purchase.

I am more curious if anyone has any opinions or experience dealing with and working with the specific warranty company "RV Americare" that our dealer is offering to us for coverage.

Do you feel these kind of extended service contracts are worth it? Some of them seem a bit unnecessary?

Or just what your thoughts and or opinions are on this subject matter in general would be appreciated.

Or maybe you just want to say hi that is always welcome too!

-----------------------------------------

I am attaching a copy of the service contract for reference. And what the dealer is offering us for service packages and prices for them and I really would like to know if you think it is worth it or not for some of these?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Extended Service Contracts.pdf 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	45093

• $4,057 dollars for the 5-year parts and labor service agreement
    • $795 for the 5-year Coach-Net roadside program
    • $595 for Tire and wheel protection
    • $1,545 for the Appearance Pkg which is 5 years as well. I am told the Appearance pkg is a Dealer Installed Ceramic Coat that helps protect from UV rays, Bird dropping, and Tree sap. It makes it so you do not have to Wax your vehicle. I am not really sure this is a necessary option considering where we live we have always stored our camera with an RV cover in the winterized months and I don't mind washing it because that's a good way to inspect it and keep a close eye to detail.

I look forward to hearing your feedback on all of this and thank you for your time.
    Brandon & Michelle
    2023 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL | Equalizer Weight Distribution Hitch | Mods TBD!
    2011 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew | 6.5ft. Bed 4WD | 3.55 Axle Ratio| Factory Max Tow Package

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imo say no to all of it
    Waste of money

Take that cash and put it away and it will be there if you have a major failure
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, no, no. These are money-makers for the dealerships and you have to do barrel rolls to meet the requirements to keep them in force.

"Hi," and welcome to the forum.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those two have hit the nail on the head IMO. Those are huge money makers for the dealer and there are usually so many if's, and's, and but's that they can get out of fixing pretty much anything. Remember they only make money if they don't give it to you.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $7k?? You can pay for a lot of repairs yourself for way less

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with all of the above, I just dont believe the extended warranty works for your benefit. Ear mark half that amount for maintenance and repair and you will probably end up using it for fun add ons. Welcome and happy camping! The the ceramic coating isnt anything special, you will still want to use some kind of wax after a year or so.
    Last edited by LanerC; 03-01-2023 at 08:09 PM.
    1st 5er- 2006 titanium 32/37. current 5er-2021 Solitude 310GKR
    1st camper-2001 Lance slide in
    1st truck-2001 chevy silverado 2500 HD 8.1 vortec-Allison trans. current truck-2011 chevy silverado HD duramax, allison LTZ

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Having now owned two different RV's over 10 years, both bought new:

1. I have NEVER needed a repair that would be covered by an extended warranty. It was either mfg warranty, a maintenance item, or something not covered (mostly things I did to it myself that caused work needing to be done).
    2. Tire and wheel? There is already a good warranty on the tires themselves. Price out new tires at Discount Tire, etc. and you'll see that their price is 2/3 of the way there already.
    3. Ceramic coating? Never. As a matter of fact, I am real lazy, and only wash my trailers about once a year. Have only waxed once. A 2022 Imagine just pulled into the site next to me today. Quality of finish, lack of fade, etc comparing my 2017 model to the 2022 shows no difference at all. Wash and wax if you like, but run away from the coating scam.
    4. I DO like Coach-Net, and it seems to get slightly better reviews than Good Sam for road assistance. I got stellar service from them the one time needed. But both are a mixed bag, with each getting their share of bad reviews. Go online and see what their offers and service levels are for new owners, before committing to a package deal from a dealer. Make sure the coverage level is comparable, and what you want.

Since all tend to be very high profit centers for the dealer, they frequently can be negotiated down drastically. You may even be able to get for free, if you are prepared to walk away from the purchase (and they are something you really do want).
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In this rookie's opinion, over the entire length of time you will own this RV, you won't even get close to spending $7,000 on repairs that would be covered by these ESCs. Just say no.
    2023 Reflection 297RSTS
    2020 F-250 Power Stroke

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Brandon - @CardOneConcepts, welcome to the forum. Lot's of good advice here, avoid those add-ons. But keep coming back to the forum to keep us updated about your new coach and to ask for help if you need it, there are a lot of friendly folks here with plenty of RV experience.
    Last edited by Soundsailor; 03-03-2023 at 08:57 AM.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    7K is absolutely ridiculous. I'd consider it at 1000, no at 2000 or more.

When you hear people talking about things breaking in an RV, most of the time they are relatively minor $$ issues to repair. There are some exceptions, if the walls delaminate, that's not a DIY repair, and it's very expensive to repair. But odds are good if that is going to happen, it will happen in the first year (or in the 20th year, long after any warranty expires).

Given how backed up and awful more dealers are, other than the ability to order parts that fail for free, I see almost no value in a warranty today. Sure, you have a warranty, our next opening for service is November. If that doesn't work, we can fit you in sometime in April 2024. That's a bit of hyperbole, but not as much as you might think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast