User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7.3 l Godzilla

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I think if you only tow 10% of the year a gas engine is fine, especially if you're pulling an Imagine. I suppose depends where you tow since you'd be losing the exhaust break and the turbo, both which are very helpful in the mountains. I'm sure the 10 speed does help somewhat with mountain towing. You won't win any races going up steep grades, bit you'll still get to the top. Really gotta do what's best for you. I prefer diesel also for the convenience of using truck stops, but I also have a 40'+ trailer. Could you find someone in your area who has a 7.3 and see if you can do a test run with the trailer?

On a side note, I think the long beds have higher payload, and gives you more room. To store camping stuff.
    Thanks for your input. It’s a tough decision, but I am more than likely going to just keep my ram. I live in Idaho, but camp a lot in northern Idaho, Washington, & Oregon and there are some areas where it’s a pretty good pull and I cannot forget how damn good that engine brake is. I believe the engine brake is also saving wear and tear on my trailer brakes as I took my trailer in for servicing, bearing repack, and the technician said the brakes look brand new.
    Matt, Trish, Conner & Ethan
    2022 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 Ram 3500 Laramie
    Both Retired USAF

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best decision, because you already have the RAM.

Changing to a gasser makes no sense at all.
    Retired U.S. Navy Engineer

2020 Ram 2500 Big Horn, CC, 6.7 Cummins
    2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking at upgrading trailers. My father in law has a 250 with 7.3. After driving it for a week, I ordered an F-350 with the power stroke.

Around the town, I averaged 12mpg with my father in law's truck. When he's towing a rockwood ultra lite that weighs around 8000lbs he's getting 7-8. I don't doubt that the 7.3 will tow whatever I buy, I know the diesel will do it better, with better fuel economy. Yes, it's going to be more expensive to operate but I drive 10,000ish miles per year with my F-150, and I'm buying it for the sole purpose of towing a bigger trailer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    I'm looking at upgrading trailers. My father in law has a 250 with 7.3. After driving it for a week, I ordered an F-350 with the power stroke.

Around the town, I averaged 12mpg with my father in law's truck. When he's towing a rockwood ultra lite that weighs around 8000lbs he's getting 7-8. I don't doubt that the 7.3 will tow whatever I buy, I know the diesel will do it better, with better fuel economy. Yes, it's going to be more expensive to operate but I drive 10,000ish miles per year with my F-150, and I'm buying it for the sole purpose of towing a bigger trailer.
    Believe me I get it! I had some momentary insanity haha
    Matt, Trish, Conner & Ethan
    2022 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 Ram 3500 Laramie
    Both Retired USAF

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12