Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am running a 2013 F150 EB max tow and max cargo with a 2020 2400BH which is about 6k. We run through the coastal mountains and the Rockies almost every year to head to Alberta.

I know I am not as heavy as you but things I found which made a big difference. . .
    Heavy duty slotted rotors and brake pads made my stopping power a LOT better.

Added air bags in the back along with upgraded shocks which help with front to back rocking

Pulled the thermostat and put in one about 5 degrees lower and added purple ice to the radiator. If you do some checking you will see the F150 EB have a history of over heating while towing.

Added K and N cold air intake.

I pull the wheels on the TT and make sure the electric brakes are seated correctly. (Had one jam one year. Ugh)

Upgraded truck tires to ones with firmer sidewalls. (Michelin)

Run TPMS on the trailer

Added equalizer 4 point sway and weight distribution.

Truck handles the hills fine. If it wants to crawl up the hill slower, then I throw on the 4 ways and go slower. I don’t force it.

Truck has been a gem
    Adrian & Christine
    2020 Imagine 2400BH and 2013 F150

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zibberfitchy View Post
    Looking for feedback on real experiences towing a similar setup below in the Rocky Mountains. I have a lot of experience driving in the Rockies, but no experience towing a TT there. Planning a trip and wondering about others experience. Yes, yes, I know my truck is probably borderline or undersized for my TT. So please, no responses telling me to upsize my truck. I’m actually looking at ¾ ton diesel trucks. But, I have several reasons I’d like to keep my current truck and manage with it. So, I’m looking for real experiences and upgrade ides on how to best make what I have work.

Truck: 2018 F-150 Platinum, 3.5L EcoBoost, 3.55 rear end, FX4 4WD, Max tow package, Roadmaster Active Suspension on rear. Considering upgrading to Bilstein 5100 shocks on rear.

Trailer: 2022 Grand Design Imagine 2910BH, GVWR 8995 lbs. UVW 7196. 34 ft LOA. ~8500 lbs with gear per CAT scale. 850-900 lbs actual tongue weight.

Hitch: Weigh Safe True Tow WDH

Reasons to keep my F-150:

1. Paid for and it’s a really nice truck. Rather not have a new truck note.
    2. It is my everyday driver and gets good mpg (18-19 mpg average, 22-24 highway). A diesel for my everyday driver is not going to get as good mpg and diesel fuel is about 40% more per gallon.
    3. A ¾ ton truck won’t fit in my garage, too long.
    4. I’m easily below 80% of my truck’s towing capacity.
    5. I’m a part-time RVer: Usually one weekend a month plus a few weeks in the summer and elsewhere.
    6. I’ve towed my TT for 6300 miles so far, including a 4200 mile trip last summer through some of the northern midwest hills/mountains.
    7. I will probably retire within 5 years. I’m considering selling my house then, buying a motorhome and full-time RVing. The money I’d spend on a new diesel truck could be saved and put towards a MH.

Good reasons to upgrade (which is why I’m looking at ¾ ton trucks):

1. Better, smoother, safer towing. The trailer bounces my truck pretty good on rough roads but rides well on smoother roads.
    2. People + limited gear + trailer tongue weight puts me at, or even a little over, my F-150 payload capacity.

I’m looking for real experiences and upgrade ides on how to best make what I have work.

I have read (and re-read) this entire thread and IMHO it looks like you want others to justify your own decision. The only thing that really matters here is your own weights and driving skills. As far as the "weight patrol" they do actually exist.
    I looked at and/or read an accident report of a neighbor and his accident and the investigator had noted the estimated load of the truck, with a caveat that he was borderline. They do exist and they do their jobs well. . . .when needed!
    Something to think about for sure . . . .how many lives are at stake?
    2018 RAM 3500 MC, CTD 6.7, 68RFE
    (2nd RAM MC w/CTD 85K Hitch Miles)
    2019 Imagine 2250RK, replaced hail destroyed BH (Brand X) in 2019.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zibberfitchy View Post
    Looking for feedback on real experiences towing a similar setup below in the Rocky Mountains. I have a lot of experience driving in the Rockies, but no experience towing a TT there. Planning a trip and wondering about others experience. Yes, yes, I know my truck is probably borderline or undersized for my TT. So please, no responses telling me to upsize my truck. I’m actually looking at ¾ ton diesel trucks. But, I have several reasons I’d like to keep my current truck and manage with it. So, I’m looking for real experiences and upgrade ides on how to best make what I have work.

Truck: 2018 F-150 Platinum, 3.5L EcoBoost, 3.55 rear end, FX4 4WD, Max tow package, Roadmaster Active Suspension on rear. Considering upgrading to Bilstein 5100 shocks on rear.

Trailer: 2022 Grand Design Imagine 2910BH, GVWR 8995 lbs. UVW 7196. 34 ft LOA. ~8500 lbs with gear per CAT scale. 850-900 lbs actual tongue weight.

Hitch: Weigh Safe True Tow WDH

Reasons to keep my F-150:

1. Paid for and it’s a really nice truck. Rather not have a new truck note.
    2. It is my everyday driver and gets good mpg (18-19 mpg average, 22-24 highway). A diesel for my everyday driver is not going to get as good mpg and diesel fuel is about 40% more per gallon.
    3. A ¾ ton truck won’t fit in my garage, too long.
    4. I’m easily below 80% of my truck’s towing capacity.
    5. I’m a part-time RVer: Usually one weekend a month plus a few weeks in the summer and elsewhere.
    6. I’ve towed my TT for 6300 miles so far, including a 4200 mile trip last summer through some of the northern midwest hills/mountains.
    7. I will probably retire within 5 years. I’m considering selling my house then, buying a motorhome and full-time RVing. The money I’d spend on a new diesel truck could be saved and put towards a MH.

Good reasons to upgrade (which is why I’m looking at ¾ ton trucks):

1. Better, smoother, safer towing. The trailer bounces my truck pretty good on rough roads but rides well on smoother roads.
    2. People + limited gear + trailer tongue weight puts me at, or even a little over, my F-150 payload capacity.

I’m looking for real experiences and upgrade ides on how to best make what I have work.
    Ford has rather detailed information re: towing capacities. That engine, max tow package, will give you 14,000 lb towing capacity.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have exactly the same set up and I love it (except my 2600RB is 2021). I can use the cruse-control all the time and the engine brake assist really works. I usually get 11-12 mpg traveling East-West and a little less in the mountains. I was pulling the TT with a 2021 Tundra and it was constant work..and no hope of ever using the cruse.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We towed two rzr's on my 24' aluminum trailer over Raton Pass with my '17 F150 eco max tow. Trailer and rzrs weigh around 6500 lbs. The truck overheated several times and cut power. I do have Wagner CAC on it but it didn't help.
    From now on we will tow with the Super Duty
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The OP mentioned that he is looking for a 3/4 ton diesel, and that he is at or slightly above his current GVWR on his F150. Many diesel 3/4 ton trucks don’t have much more payload capacity than an F150 because of the extra weight of the diesel engine and assorted coolers. Be very careful with the choice. An F350 would be a better option if the diesel is chosen.

Since the OP currently drives a Ford, I presume he is looking at Super Duties. An option would be the 7.3 L in an F250, or better yet in an F350. I have a friend using an F350 with the 7.3L pulling about an 11,000 lb 5th wheel camper and he says it does a great job. The 7.3L gas engine is much lighter than the 6.7L diesel and performs adamantly.

And this is from a 6.7L owner. 🙄

Although, getting a truck and 33’ travel trailer through the truck stop lanes rather than the gas lanes should be much easier. 😜
    Last edited by MtnGuy; 03-14-2023 at 05:44 PM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very interested in your answers -- but have to translate to RAM 1500 4x4 as towing vehicle...

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    With my 2012 HD F-150 in my signature, I pulled my Jayco fifth over many, many high passes in the Rockies, Sierras, Idaho, the Bighorns, the Ike, etc., etc. It was in the same weight/length range as your TT. Never an issue, I could pass any semi laboring up a grade I wanted to. The turbos do not suffer from loss of power at altitude like conventional engines do. Engine braking was "OK", but one has to get familiar on how to lockout higher transmission gears on downslopes. A bigger engine would be an assist here, but it is very manageable - it just takes more "active management" than a bigger truck might need. I may use the brakes a bit more than a bigger truck, but never had an issue with heat or wear. (Well, one time - the first time ever Mountain Driving, in the Big Horns, the brakes got very hot. But I learned quickly how to manage it all for future down slopes).

I have not tried the same kind of trips with my 2670MK - same truck. But climbs/descents in the eastern half of the country seem to be about the same, just not as high or as long.

I did find that with the fifth average mpg was 10.5, and now with the TT it is about 8. I blame aerodynamic drag as the air drops down over the bed and hits the front cap of the TT. That may be a big assist in managing speed in down slopes, but haven't done it enough to make a firm conclusion.

I do tend to run my brake controller all the way at "10", so with heavier braking I can feel the trailer slightly retard the truck. I figure brake pads for the trailer are cheaper than a brake job on the truck. But after getting near 40K towing miles, no dealer (truck or RV) has ever reported excessive or rapid wear.
    Hi Sande005 -- how has the F150 going of the 2670MK in cross-winds been? My numbers "appear" to indicate I am ok to tow such with myRAM1500, but I am looking for real-world MK towing experience w/ 1/2Ts. Thx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m the OP. I’ve decided for now to keep my F150. I really appreciate all the feedback people have given. So far I’ve implemented the following upgrades to my truck. I installed Bilstein 5100 shocks. They help with smoothing out some of the bouncing. I also added Powerstop heavy duty vented rotors, and heavy duty brake pads. Also added Royal Purple 01600 Purple Ice Super-Coolant Radiator to my radiator fluid.

I made a 1400 mile round-trip to the mountains in northern Georgia during the Easter break. Had no issues, including towing all the way there in the rain and through Atlanta.

I’ve purchased Moryde CRE3000 suspension system and wet bolt kit for my TT but did not have time to install it before the Georgia trip.

The real test will be this summer when I go to Colorado…

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Majormaxie View Post
    Hi Sande005 -- how has the F150 going of the 2670MK in cross-winds been? My numbers "appear" to indicate I am ok to tow such with myRAM1500, but I am looking for real-world MK towing experience w/ 1/2Ts. Thx
    I've got the ProPride hitch, which helps control the wag of the dog a lot. I've been hit a lot with gusts up to 35 mph during some all day drives, and some 40's. Can feel it, and sometimes I say "Woa!", but not enough to need both hands clamped on the wheel. But my truck is the Heavy Duty payload version, with airbags, stiff tires, that are aired up to max pressure. Never felt unsafe, although I'm sure a bigger truck would be much better. Don't think, however, you can directly compare what you may experience compared to mine.

Driving into a stiff wind is the pits. MPG sunk to a low of 3 (!) across South Dakota one trip. Called a dealer in Rapid City to set up an appointment, from the road, to fix my broken truck. That evening, in the Badlands, the wind stopped and I went for a drive to Wall, SD unhitched. 21 mpg highway. It was just the wind....
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast