Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F-150 EB towing in Rocky Mountains

Looking for feedback on real experiences towing a similar setup below in the Rocky Mountains. I have a lot of experience driving in the Rockies, but no experience towing a TT there. Planning a trip and wondering about others experience. Yes, yes, I know my truck is probably borderline or undersized for my TT. So please, no responses telling me to upsize my truck. I’m actually looking at ¾ ton diesel trucks. But, I have several reasons I’d like to keep my current truck and manage with it. So, I’m looking for real experiences and upgrade ides on how to best make what I have work.

Truck: 2018 F-150 Platinum, 3.5L EcoBoost, 3.55 rear end, FX4 4WD, Max tow package, Roadmaster Active Suspension on rear. Considering upgrading to Bilstein 5100 shocks on rear.

Trailer: 2022 Grand Design Imagine 2910BH, GVWR 8995 lbs. UVW 7196. 34 ft LOA. ~8500 lbs with gear per CAT scale. 850-900 lbs actual tongue weight.

Hitch: Weigh Safe True Tow WDH

Reasons to keep my F-150:

1. Paid for and it’s a really nice truck. Rather not have a new truck note.
    2. It is my everyday driver and gets good mpg (18-19 mpg average, 22-24 highway). A diesel for my everyday driver is not going to get as good mpg and diesel fuel is about 40% more per gallon.
    3. A ¾ ton truck won’t fit in my garage, too long.
    4. I’m easily below 80% of my truck’s towing capacity.
    5. I’m a part-time RVer: Usually one weekend a month plus a few weeks in the summer and elsewhere.
    6. I’ve towed my TT for 6300 miles so far, including a 4200 mile trip last summer through some of the northern midwest hills/mountains.
    7. I will probably retire within 5 years. I’m considering selling my house then, buying a motorhome and full-time RVing. The money I’d spend on a new diesel truck could be saved and put towards a MH.

Good reasons to upgrade (which is why I’m looking at ¾ ton trucks):

1. Better, smoother, safer towing. The trailer bounces my truck pretty good on rough roads but rides well on smoother roads.
    2. People + limited gear + trailer tongue weight puts me at, or even a little over, my F-150 payload capacity.

I’m looking for real experiences and upgrade ides on how to best make what I have work.
    David B.
    2022 Grand Design Imagine 2910BH
    2018 Ford F-150 Platinum FX4, 3.5L V6 EcoBoost. Max Tow Package w/3.55 rear end

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F-150 EB towing in Rocky Mountains

Have you actually weighed this setup on a camping trip or are you just guessing?
    Last edited by NB Canada; 03-02-2023 at 05:31 PM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pulled a toy hauler that was a bit over 8,000lbs with an Ecoboost from NY state to Red Lodge MT, West Glacier, Yosemite, Durango and over Wolf Creek Pass. She pulled it up everything I asked her to with no complaints at all, the power is there. That was a 2014 F150.

On the downgrades you do need to pay attention because that engine just doesn’t have a lot of displacement to create back pressure for engine braking. Use your head and you will be fine, I never had a scary moment because I made sure to keep my speeds on the descents down where I felt comfortable.

Last summer we went on a similar trip with our 2022 Powerboost hybrid and the 3.5 ecoboost and a trailer that weighed about 7,000lbs and it performed flawlessly. We climbed over Raton Pass, up to Woodland park and Estes Park in CO. Crossed the Unitah mountains on 191, went from NV into Oregon and over 140 to the coast in CA, Went to East Glacier and back across the Plains from there. I never had a worry about pulling that trailer.

We now have a Reflection150 226RK and it pulls that trailer just fine, Haven’t been over any climbs with it yet but I have no doubt it will be just fine.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    With my 2012 HD F-150 in my signature, I pulled my Jayco fifth over many, many high passes in the Rockies, Sierras, Idaho, the Bighorns, the Ike, etc., etc. It was in the same weight/length range as your TT. Never an issue, I could pass any semi laboring up a grade I wanted to. The turbos do not suffer from loss of power at altitude like conventional engines do. Engine braking was "OK", but one has to get familiar on how to lockout higher transmission gears on downslopes. A bigger engine would be an assist here, but it is very manageable - it just takes more "active management" than a bigger truck might need. I may use the brakes a bit more than a bigger truck, but never had an issue with heat or wear. (Well, one time - the first time ever Mountain Driving, in the Big Horns, the brakes got very hot. But I learned quickly how to manage it all for future down slopes).

I have not tried the same kind of trips with my 2670MK - same truck. But climbs/descents in the eastern half of the country seem to be about the same, just not as high or as long.

I did find that with the fifth average mpg was 10.5, and now with the TT it is about 8. I blame aerodynamic drag as the air drops down over the bed and hits the front cap of the TT. That may be a big assist in managing speed in down slopes, but haven't done it enough to make a firm conclusion.

I do tend to run my brake controller all the way at "10", so with heavier braking I can feel the trailer slightly retard the truck. I figure brake pads for the trailer are cheaper than a brake job on the truck. But after getting near 40K towing miles, no dealer (truck or RV) has ever reported excessive or rapid wear.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a 2012 F150 3.5 Platinum towing a 2600 RB (trailer was 6000 pounds + the shell, + the stuff in the bed + the coolers) across the Rockies numerous times. Yes, according to the scales we were over payload by a few hundred pounds.

Our only upgrade was Ford "heavy duty" brake pads and rotors.

Regardless of what the Tow Police claim, insurance companies seldom calculate or weigh a wrecked trailer. However, I am sure some Keyboard Warrior's friend's uncle's neighbor heard of that happening to someone in another state. In my past, I was an auto adjuster for 12+ years. My goal was to settle the claim promptly, because my plate was always full. I saw a lot of stupid accidents. Fortunately, "stupid," is not an insurance policy exclusion.

Ordered a 2022 F250 6.7 Lariat with the Max tow package (350 rear diff. and rear springs) and noticed more power and improved sway reduction. It can easily be sold for more than I paid in Aug. 2021. An F250 diesel will maintain it's value.

Best wishes on your future plans and travels.
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weighed on a CAT scale.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zibberfitchy View Post
    Weighed on a CAT scale.
    Can you post the slips?

Imo your TW is dangerously low. Are you intentionally doing that to reduce the load on your half ton?

My much much smaller 2400 has more TW than you are posting
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Can you post the slips?

Imo your TW is dangerously low. Are you intentionally doing that to reduce the load on your half ton?

My much much smaller 2400 has more TW than you are posting
    This and the length / sail area would be my main concern. The Eco boost shouldn't have an issue pulling that, it is the other factors that would concern me.

That trailer is between my prior and current trailers, the prior TT was unsafe with my truck which is equipped about as good as possible for towing, excluding a HDPP F150
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to keep the truck and it's been working fine, then keep it. I say that assuming you are not being dangerous with respect to your payload. Otherwise, you're going to find an equal split between those that say you need to step up to a 3/4 ton and those that say what you have is just fine. I'm guessing nearly everyone on this forum has been through the same dilemma at some point. I moved from a 2004 F150 to my current truck. Love the 6.7L. Wouldn't look back. But I initially ordered the 2022 F150 Powerboost, after being convinced by the dealership that it had plenty of tow capacity for the trailer we had - not wrong. What they rarely understand is though is payload - that's the critical number these days. Now I've had people tell me I have too much truck, too expensive, this and that, for what I need. Don't care. Love the new truck. Might have loved the Powerboost too, but decided for once I didn't want to be on the edge or over the payload and now I don't have to worry. The F150 lasted 18 years and I'm expecting the new one to go that long or more. Enjoy whatever decision you make!
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're comfortable, and everything is set up properly, it will pull it. Where a super duty will excel is making it a more comfortable driving experience. Depending on how much you have in the truck you are probably exceeding the payload capacity. Platinums pay a penalty there because of all the nice stuff. That's a lot of Side area and a lot of weight on a 1/2 ton in my opinion.

I also have an 18 with the same engine/gear combo. The only thing that isn't stock is my LT tires. I limited my options to the 2400BH and Rockwood 2509S. I went with the rockwood. I've towed it 12,000 miles since purchase in 19. Even in a 30mph crosswind on the interstate with semi's passing me it's a relaxed tow. I really don't have to think about how I load everything, and get a lot of sites in campgrounds where there's no availability for anything larger.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast