User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

260RD Flex Air 5th Wheel Pin Box Replacing a Curt Turning Point 5th Wheel 16K hitch

Has anyone swapped from their stock Curt Turning Point to a Curt Flex Air pin box? Pros and cons, was it a simple swap and do all mounting hardware line up or need some modifications?

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't believe that any of the Flex Air pinboxes will replace the Turning Point hitch.

The lowest rating I know of is 18,000 lbs, which would be severely stiff for any of the 150 Series.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are trying to soften the ride have you thought about an air hitch ? We have the Airsafe hitch and it makes a huge difference both for the truck ride and traiiler. We got one that would handle our 303 plus room for a decent upgrade in weight.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    If you are trying to soften the ride have you thought about an air hitch ? We have the Airsafe hitch and it makes a huge difference both for the truck ride and traiiler. We got one that would handle our 303 plus room for a decent upgrade in weight.
    The Flex Air series from Curt have air bags and shocks.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Subscribed...
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    The Flex Air series from Curt have air bags and shocks.
    Right, but as you point out they won't work with the Turning Point. Do you know of any air shocks that work with the Turning Point hitch?
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Right, but as you point out they won't work with the Turning Point. Do you know of any air shocks that work with the Turning Point hitch?
    No, as far as I know the only thing that interchanges with the Turning Point is the Gen Y gooseneck pinbox.

The 150 Series have such a light (comparably) pin weight, there isn't much need for the bagged pinboxes.
    [email protected]
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, as far as I know the only thing that interchanges with the Turning Point is the Gen Y gooseneck pinbox.

The 150 Series have such a light (comparably) pin weight, there isn't much need for the bagged pinboxes.
    Under certain conditions, I get a pronounced up-and-down movement which I'd like to get rid of. What would you suggest for that? I've put Sumo springs on the coach and have Timbrens on the truck, both have helped. The worst example of what I'm talking about came when traveling through Harrisburg, PA last autumn. If I remember correctly there was a stretch on I83 that had my rig bucking like a bronco. It could be the shocks on the TV, I'm planning on replacing them in the spring.

You mention the light pin weight, I do have about 180 pounds of batteries in the forward storage compartment, would that account for my issues?
    Stephen and Judy

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Under certain conditions, I get a pronounced up-and-down movement which I'd like to get rid of. What would you suggest for that? I've put Sumo springs on the coach and have Timbrens on the truck, both have helped. The worst example of what I'm talking about came when traveling through Harrisburg, PA last autumn. If I remember correctly there was a stretch on I83 that had my rig bucking like a bronco. It could be the shocks on the TV, I'm planning on replacing them in the spring.

You mention the light pin weight, I do have about 180 pounds of batteries in the forward storage compartment, would that account for my issues?
    I don't think the weight of batteries is an issue, probably helps. I have found that Timbrens don't help much except to keep the truck springs from hitting overload. They tend to be an abrupt hit though, as they don't do much until they have the load on them, then it is a jarring hit.

I had them years ago, but switched to AirLift airbags on the last 2 trucks and haven't had any more issues. Actually, when I had the 260RD, I never even put air in them. I have a 3500, so I wanted some flex, not so stiff.

The up and down is probably shocks. It doesn't so much like "chucking" as much as the shocks aren't dampening the movement over joints. 81 is just as bad as 83 around Harrisburg. Need a kidney belt when running in an empty dually single cab truck.
    [email protected]
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    81 is just as bad as 83 around Harrisburg. Need a kidney belt when running in an empty dually single cab truck.
    That's how I felt.
    Stephen and Judy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast