User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MPPT and LiPO battery reference voltage

So I just bought my lithium batteries and have been prepping to upgrade my set up. I just replaced my Victron 100/30 with a Victron 100/50 to take advantage of the additional solar panels I'm installing. Being an engineer type.... I re-read the MPPT instructions lol. the instructions say to turn battery input to the CC on first then the solar panel input or damage could occur to the controller. I know I'm safe with my set up. But can someone explain why; with the lithium BMS able to turn battery off, the MPPT controller does not get damaged? Is voltage still present?
    2022 337RLS & 2017 CTD Ram long bed
    720w of solar & Victron MPPT/battery monitors
    4x100AHr LiPo batteries & 2500w PSW
    Lots of other mods too....

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has to do with initial surges. The sensitive electronic components (i.e transistors) need a soft start, so to speak. Why a lot of folks use resistors to "pre-charge" those components on inverters, too.

To clarify, the internal components only "turn on" via the battery side of things, not the PV side of things. So you need to have solar disconnected while the MPPT "turns on" from the batteries.
    Last edited by A.Texas.Yankee; 03-04-2023 at 07:06 AM.