User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just when you think it is going so well, reality sets in

So, it happened like this... Second trip with the new, fully loaded camper and was feeling pretty good about the first one. Oops, that is when it gets you! Prepared the night before and pulled out within 15 minutes of the planned departure time and in last 30 minutes of 274 mile drive - bam! Big bump on road/bridge transition. Still, we arrive safely, get set and level, and I start putting out one of the slides and it sounds different. Didn't notice (kinda hard to see the spot with both slides in) the plastic bin of different cables that had bounded out of the cabinet and was wedged between the side of the slide frame and couch. Was wishing I had taken the other slide out first.

Spent a little time deconstructing the frame trim and will replace it tomorrow. Nothing we can't fix but dang, I feel bad. Chris had done tons of research on securing things inside - bins for the refrigerator, tension rods for pantry and cabinets, etc. She didn't plan on getting sick and me doing most of the packing, unpacking, and storing of items in the camper at the end. Some days are a bit like a scavenger hunt, just saying...

The bin of cables, extension cords, HDMI cords, charging cords, etc. was reduced and is now stored in a labeled bin in the pass through storage area. Finding spaces now with a few new bins is fun!

Like the old saying - (Wo)Man plans and God laughs.
    Chris & Penny with pups Abby, Piper Louise, and Wilson Henry
    '22 Ram 2500 Laramie Night Edition 4X4, 6.7, 3.73, 6'4" box, Delmonico Red Pearl
    '23 Reflection 150 295RL with 165W Solar package, Dual Air
    Curt Crosswing 20K with B&W rails, Starlink

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel your pain. I think all of us are always learning!
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It happens to all of us sooner or later. With us it was sooner. We lost a cabinet door on the overheads above the sleeper sofa area in our Reflection after it bounced open (helped by stuff inside the cabinet) and caught on the slide trim when the slide went out. I now put a slide out just far enough to squeeze by and check everthing around both large slides before putting them out. The door incident was in our first year of full-timing and we haven't had a similar incident in the past seven years (the MORryde independent suspension probably helps, too).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my trips several years ago, a bottle of dish wash soap that was stored in the pantry, fell to the floor after a good bump and slid under the pantry door. It ended up under the kitchen slide, and as I was opening it, it stopped uneven. Looking under the slide, I figured what had happened, and luckily the bottle didn't break, and had to repair some trim on the slide. Now before I open the slide, I always look underneath, just in case.
    Last edited by Wileykid; 03-05-2023 at 07:08 AM.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happened on our first trip - corner overhead cabinet door opened over rear sofa in transit. When I started putting the slides out (and thankfully I was doing that with the interior switches), I heard a cracking sound as something shattered behind the trim in front of the sofa as the main slide went out. Since the cabinet door had shut on its own, I was wondering what it was - bug whacker crushed and an extra blanket wedged in. Would have had trim damage at a minimum if I had been putting the slides out remotely.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad the learning wasn't too painful. Thanks for sharing, someone else may benefit from your experience.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We put everything that cant be secured, on the floor near the entry door of our trailer between the hutch/island/Fridge/stairs. Luggage, coolers, clothes, water, etc. Never had any issues with that stuff being thrown around while traveling, and its also makes for good weight distribution over the axles when towing.

All of our stuff stored in cabinets, drawers, and pantries are bungied or child-proof locked shut so that they cant come open while traveling. Prior to this we did have a cabinet door from our hutch get jammed by the kitchen slide due to some slide movement. We were lucky that the door did not get broke off the hinges. Thats when we decided to button up every possible door with bungies or child proof stops to keep any doors from openning while trailering.

One other tip.... we BOTH visually verify no "obstacles" either in the trailer or out are possibly in the way prior to opening our slides. We have each caught something the other has missed which may have caused an issue when towing. The visual bungy placement inspection really helps see those issues prior to slide deployment, retraction or trailer towing.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, the plans of mice and men oft duth go astray
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by txgals5561 View Post
    So, it happened like this... Second trip with the new, fully loaded camper and was feeling pretty good about the first one. Oops, that is when it gets you! Prepared the night before and pulled out within 15 minutes of the planned departure time and in last 30 minutes of 274 mile drive - bam! Big bump on road/bridge transition. Still, we arrive safely, get set and level, and I start putting out one of the slides and it sounds different. Didn't notice (kinda hard to see the spot with both slides in) the plastic bin of different cables that had bounded out of the cabinet and was wedged between the side of the slide frame and couch. Was wishing I had taken the other slide out first.

Spent a little time deconstructing the frame trim and will replace it tomorrow. Nothing we can't fix but dang, I feel bad. Chris had done tons of research on securing things inside - bins for the refrigerator, tension rods for pantry and cabinets, etc. She didn't plan on getting sick and me doing most of the packing, unpacking, and storing of items in the camper at the end. Some days are a bit like a scavenger hunt, just saying...

The bin of cables, extension cords, HDMI cords, charging cords, etc. was reduced and is now stored in a labeled bin in the pass through storage area. Finding spaces now with a few new bins is fun!

Like the old saying - (Wo)Man plans and God laughs.
    It looks like you have a pretty good attitude toward this. That helps. If you can't laugh a bit at yourself it makes things a lot worse. Roll with the 'punches' and enjoy your travels and the learning experiences.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone, good to know I'm in good company and for all the helpful tips passed along. We can think a lot of things, but we can't think of everything!
    Chris & Penny with pups Abby, Piper Louise, and Wilson Henry
    '22 Ram 2500 Laramie Night Edition 4X4, 6.7, 3.73, 6'4" box, Delmonico Red Pearl
    '23 Reflection 150 295RL with 165W Solar package, Dual Air
    Curt Crosswing 20K with B&W rails, Starlink

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast