User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    1atalbot

Questions Linking a 2016 F150 w/29RS 2016

And have a few questions-

- 2016 F150 EB would be ordered with Max Pay & Tow (SuperCrew & 6.5 Bed)

- 29RS has a Lippert 1621 extended pin box, do I still need a sliding hitch?

- 29RS will I require Timbs or Airlift?

- 29RS ideal hitch?

- anyone towing with 1/2 tons?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi 1atalbot,

Welcome to this forum.
    We tow a slightly larger Reflection with a 2014 F150.

Max payload is really important. These are uncommon, but make a huge difference.
    As difficult as it is for traditional towers to accept, the Ecoboost turbo V6 is the right engine for towing. Don't get talked into the V8. Search (upper right corner) for lots more info on F150 and Ecoboost.

I don't think you really "need" a slider but it is reassuring to have it if you get into a corner where you really need it. Several have dents in their cabs from not having a slider and I use my manual slider all the time for easier backing and easier hook up.

2016 max payload is about 2600 lbs. This is more than a thousand pounds over your dry pin weight. You will not need airbags to tow level, but they do smooth the ride. I have them and run at a modest 30 psi.

Lots more info already on this forum . . . but, if you have specific questions, just ask.

Rob

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	2817
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

1atalbot
    Hi Rob,

I would order the truck since it's really the only way to get the 627 max payload, the only problem is they delete the floor console on the 2015 Lariat so waiting to see if the do the same on a 2016 build.

What size bed do you have, as I thought a 6.5 bed with the lippert extend box provided plenty of clearance? I am also considering your 303.

How does your 150 handle the 303?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi 1atalbot,

The Ford order process is not easy ! To them, the "Max Payload" is a work truck, so getting the upgrades is complicated. Hopefully this has improved since 2014. Our limit case was the max payload 60 psi wheels and tires. Once we selected these, it locked us out of the higher level trim packages. We couldn't get the Lariat package with max payload . . . this may be different by 2016.

We have the 6.5 ft box. To tow a 5th wheel with the more common Crew Cab 5.5 ft box would be really tight.

We have no reservations about towing our 303 uphill or down with our F150. Been through the Appalachians from Canada to Florida and back. Done 6% up and 6% down. Done the panic braking for the merging idiots.
    This truck is designed and tested to its ratings (with what appears to be a considerable safety margin).

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RE: "Several have dents in their cabs from not having a slider and I use my manual slider all the time for easier backing and easier hook up." Get the slider and use it. I'm one with a dent in the pillar. It's small, and not noticeable to most people, but I know it's there and doesn't need to be.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We used a Chev 1500 with our Rockwood 5th wheel. It was 8500 lbs loaded and 1300 pin weight. We pulled all over the eastern US without a problem. But, when we went to the western US, it worked to hard. Problem is head winds of 25 and 30 mph and long pulls up mountains (11 to 15 miles) unlike the eastern US. It did it, but how long is it going to last. We bought a Solitude so we had to up grade.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at the 29RS also. It weighs 8k dry. You load it up you are looking at 10k. That's too much for a half ton. You'll be sitting on the side of the road going over the passes here in Colorado. Don't forget braking and cooling also. Do yourself a favor and get a 3/4 ton and you'll feel much safer.
    Jerry & Jeanine
    2016 Ram 3500 MegaCab Diesel
    2014 Reflection 293RES (sold)
    2020 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jerry & Jeanine,

Your perspective is understood and probably the most common amongst experienced and traditional 5th wheel haulers. But, there is a new game in town. Ford is going after the traditional 3/4 ton customer with a very capable 1/2 ton. The topic of this thread.

What is your payload ? If you have a 4X4 diesel 2500, this likely about 2500 lbs. Same as the F150 Max Payload. Your diesel has huge torque . . . but maybe more than you need to tow a 10,000 lb trailer ?

The game changer for Ford is the Ecoboost V6 engine. 400 ft lbs of torque from 2000 RPM to 4500 RPM and stays exactly the same to 10,000 feet. On the braking side, I can tell you that the "tow mode" smarts in this truck brought our rig down Monteagle with almost no brake apply.

2000 lbs of "stuff" in the trailer is probably a high estimate (if you tow with empty tanks) but let's use that as the estimate. This is still 10% below the F150 Max Trailer capacity.

I can say that if my F150 couldn't do what I needed, I would not even consider a 3/4 ton. I would go straight to the F350 (for a few extra dollars) for a truck that is capable of much more.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the F250 and F350 SRW the tow weight is the same. I chose the F250 with the 6.7 diesel and went to west coast with no problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...what it will tow is irrelevant. ..itz all abt what can it carry....payload....and what will it stop...a toyo tocoma can tow a boeing 747...but it has hardly any payload...